Won't be long now then...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Won't be long now then...

Post by MarkP »

Mark
drewr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Won't be long now then...

Post by drewr »

You'd think they'd have had much better results using a "real" simple-system keyless flute as their model.

In years to come should we expect to be able to buy plastic versions of Olwells and Grinters for fractions of the cost of the original that sound and play essentially the same? That really would be something.
Denny

Post by Denny »

we should be able to click on and internet ad, for the data set of a simple-system flute, and have it print at our home. (probably a print @ local Kinko's stage in there)

this will not be traditional

and it will not be voiced
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I'm guessing the interim will be Jon buying a printer and turning out keyless Rudalls using Terry's data templates :wink:
Mark
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jon? :o

I don't think he's that kind of boy... :really:
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Boys and their toys...
Mark
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

What ever happened to Caractacus Potts and his Toot Sweets? I figured we'd at least have those by now.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

The devil is in the details.

From the article:
The flute in the video is the seventh iteration of their design.
I suspect they may get it down into something attractive by the 70th iteration. Or perhaps never.

As to making copies of other maker's flutes - if the resolution of this 3D printing process makes that possible, then new issues arise, such as copying someone else's intellectual property. Plus I ponder the plastic they are using and its acoustical properties. Even if they could copy a Rudall, it will never play the same way as a Rudall.

Other than being a clever new way to make stuff, I don't see this as a replacement for making things by hand, such as is done by us flute makers. And if someone succeeds in dong this, they'll just have to compete with the rest of us. My bet is that those machines won't become that cheap anytime soon - so don't expect $35 printed Rudalls to start flooding the market. Except maybe at WallMart if the Chinese decide to start doing this.

Heavens! Save us from our machine masters!!!!

Casey
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Casey Burns wrote:The devil is in the details.
What Casey said! And I'll bet there's still (and always will be) some hand finishing required...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Denny

Post by Denny »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing wrote:3D printing technology is currently being studied by biotechnology firms and academia for possible use in tissue engineering applications where organs and body parts are built using inkjet techniques. Layers of living cells are deposited onto a gel medium and slowly built up to form three dimensional structures. Several terms have been used to refer to this field of research: organ printing, bio-printing, and computer-aided tissue engineering, among others.[13] 3D printing can produce a personalized hip replacement in one pass, with the ball permanently inside the socket, and even at current printing resolutions the unit will not require polishing.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The two main things would be tolerances and cost per unit after figuring the cost of the machine spread out over the units it will make and the raw materials. On a whim, I looked into how much it would cost to have a CNC place knock out a few fifes. Even at 100 units (no furrels, made of acetyl), the cost per unit was about the same as what a Peeler or Sweet fife would cost.

The intellectual property thing is an interesting part of the 3D design thing, and I believe there are already groups that have started Creative Commons repositories of different projects. I am sure places like amazon will have downloads you can buy when these printers become cost effective. By the time these machines are ready there will already be projects ready to be printed, hopefully there will be an input standard.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Mark
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Then there are projects like RepRap. I'll be happy when you can take tin cans, glass bottles or certain plastics, shred or powder the waste, and reuse it for a project, but that is a long way off I'm sure.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I liked the idea of a plastic flute. The downfall of this whole idea is that people don't learn to play musical instruments now, with technology improving, do we really think the number of musicians is going to skyrocket or something?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »