eBay Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: eBay Flute

Post by benhall.1 »

Difficult not to like The Good Life, isn't it? Worthy though it was. Penelope Keith absolutely made it, of course.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I had quite the crush on Felicity Kendal when I first saw the show (I was about 14).

Jerry and Margo both made the show in my opinion. Their interactions to the farm world beside them, and to each other, were hilarious.

I've never seen Dad's Army...I must find a way to get a hold of it. Thanks for the tip.

Eric
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep, Benny got air time

of the others that I've seen
they have all been via NetFlix

well, except Red Dwarf on a PBS fund drive :D
wasted that day :lol:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Guys, guys... it's Fawlty Towers! As in Basil Fawlty. It's a homonym/pun scenario.

No list of great British comedy would be complete without 3 political masterpieces
Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister, and The Thick of It.

However, the Yanks gave the world The Simpsons, Frasier, and Curb Your Enthusiasm, for which we should be eternally grateful.
m.d.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

What about "Only Fools and Horses".
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

.....I was almost tempted with the flute (remember it?)...but measuring 65' long I don't think I would have the reach to play the thing. :boggle:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

emmdee wrote:Guys, guys... it's Fawlty Towers! As in Basil Fawlty. It's a homonym/pun scenario.

No list of great British comedy would be complete without 3 political masterpieces
Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister, and The Thick of It.

However, the Yanks gave the world The Simpsons, Frasier, and Curb Your Enthusiasm, for which we should be eternally grateful.
m.d.
The Simpsons is comedy? I thought it was documentary! :wink: :twisted:

And things like Friends, Frasier and Fresh Prince of Bel Air, whilst quite clever and certainly amusing at times, definitely come under the Yank toe-curling, sick-bucket-reaching-for school of sit-com humour..... Maybe because (generalisation alert!) they lack the irony and self-deprecation of their Brit equivalents?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

And again, I find myself with Jem... 'Friends' and 'Frasier' had some fantastically sharp dialogue, but they always had to resort to the stuff of farce. Having said that, a couple of episodes of 'Fawlty Towers' also have toe-curling stuff, such as Polly disguising as a sick Sybil; or the manic hunt for Manuel's "hamster".

One classic Brit comedy so far unmentioned that never went sentimental or farcical, and was always sharp and witty: 'Porridge'. Timeless.

Although my all-time favourite has to be 'Black Books', largely due to the genius of Irish comedian Dylan Moran. Go check it out on YouTube, or buy the obscenely cheap box set.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

D'ya know, I absolutely couldn't stand Black Books. I kept trying it because people I know said it was brilliant and for me just to give it one more go. I tried. I really tried. Every time I had to switch it off after ... well, I think my record was 5 minutes.

Friends is watchable pap. Frasier, OTOH, was great, IMHO. Not just clever, brilliantly funny and slick. Oh, apart from the ludicrous accent of Daphne's brother. I have no idea what that accent was supposed to be. You'd have thought it should be Machester, but it sounded like a cross between South African and New Zealand. Certainly nowhere near any British accent I've ever heard.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

jemtheflute wrote:And things like Friends, Frasier and Fresh Prince of Bel Air, whilst quite clever and certainly amusing at times, definitely come under the Yank toe-curling, sick-bucket-reaching-for school of sit-com humour..... Maybe because (generalisation alert!) they lack the irony and self-deprecation of their Brit equivalents?
Well, it would be difficult to have product placement in an upper class setting doing that now, wouldn't it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

emmdee wrote:
m.d.
And don't forget that we gave the world Dick Van Dyke as Bert in Mary Poppins. That was a shining moment in cinema. :lol:

Kirk
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:Oh, apart from the ludicrous accent of Daphne's brother. I have no idea what that accent was supposed to be. You'd have thought it should be Machester, but it sounded like a cross between South African and New Zealand. Certainly nowhere near any British accent I've ever heard.
If you mean Anthony LaPaglia as Simon Moon ... He's Australian, but he traded his Ozzie accent for Noo Yawk early on. Very convincingly, too. Heck, his NY is better than mine, and I'm from New York. He claims he can no longer do his native accent, and his attempt at Mancunian was just weird. But no weirder than Benny Hill's "American". :boggle:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Benny Hill did American? Presumably in a generic, taking-the-michael sort of way?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:Benny Hill did American? Presumably in a generic, taking-the-michael sort of way?
The skits were comedic, of course. But I'm sure he intended his accent to be more or less accurate, because it was the characters portrayed that were supposed to be poking fun at the Murkins. He did two, actually: A generic "I'm from nowhere" accent like mine, and a Southern accent like Dale, usually dressed à la Hee Haw or Deliverance. Let's just say that neither would have convinced a US border agent. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.