Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Posting clips

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hey Gabriel,

Thanks for that recording! Lots for me to play around with there. I think because I am playing it at a slower tempo I fall into that hornpipe feeling. The intonation glitch may well have been the wrong choice of fingering. I like to hang on those C nats, and I am cross fingering, plus I use my breath a lot to vary the color.
Arbo
joshD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by joshD »

Rockin Gabriel :thumbsup:
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Gabriel wrote:Hi Arbo,

just read you email; have been out a few days...

Your setting almost sounds like a hornpipe! Tone is awesome as usual. I somehow think your tone is barking, dark, complex, fat and sweet at the same time. That's cool.
)
Gabriel,
just found out that Hamish Moore and Dick Lee play the Trip to Pakistan after the Staten Island hornpipe, so I guess my version will fit right in! :D
Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I had forgotten about this beautiful little tune. don't recall where I picked it up, but I had learned it, forgotten about it, and then recently heard it again, so here's a quick take. Played on my Firth, Pond & Co. w/ Abell hj.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/eca8vt54pz
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Wanted to share a youtube clip of mine, first time making an attempt video-wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvqpjvVavTE

2 reels,
Miss Johnson's, Around the world for sport.
These on my Sweetheart D.

Thank you for watching.

EDIT: posted another one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0YL5aqvie4
Gooseberry Bush / For the sake of old decency
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hey Trip,
Thanks for sharing those! Great tunes, lovely playing. Like the pulse and energy!
Arbo
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Arbo, thank you sir.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Trip
I'll add my praise for your video.Nice playing and style. Lovely drive.

I like the exposing of the Sweethart ensigna at the start and finnish. I don't know these flutes but seems to be an impressive tone from such a modist flute.

If you would like me to be super critical (if not sorry)I think at one stage the timing within the beat goes off very slightly. You probably know where I mean, I don't really see it as an issue. Sounds like it might be a bit of a swollow or catch of breath. Whatever you manage it well and don't loose the main beat. Great stuff though.
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Thanks for your kind words. No need to be super critical as I just play really bad in these videos... the more I watch them. Maybe I should put them off and put other ones. I really wanted to show how the Sweetheart can sound basically - or at least how it sounds when I play it.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Trip- wrote:Thanks for your kind words. No need to be super critical as I just play really bad in these videos... the more I watch them. Maybe I should put them off and put other ones. I really wanted to show how the Sweetheart can sound basically - or at least how it sounds when I play it.
Trip,
Keep 'em coming! I may get up the nerve to do a videp clip soon. Really though, I am more comfortable with the mP3 clips.
Arbo
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Trip- wrote:Thanks for your kind words. No need to be super critical as I just play really bad in these videos... the more I watch them. Maybe I should put them off and put other ones. I really wanted to show how the Sweetheart can sound basically - or at least how it sounds when I play it.
I really don't see why you say it's bad. I wasn't sure if I should have passed that observation. It was not meant as a criticism. Just an observation in case it helped. I’d like to be able to play like that when I’m playing ‘bad’!

Listening back again I wonder if the bit I was commenting on was actually a variation which doesn't quite work to me, on the grounds of the timing of that varation. I can hear how it would work with the same notes but 'crisper?' timing. Was that the case and do you see what I mean? I think it could work very nicely.

I tend to prefer 'live' recordings like this to something which has been too perfected. I think first 'take' recording is great for players with more experience like you. It's what I like to do for any recordings I make. It's good to develop a 'this is it' attitude to playing. I feel consistency is more important and realistic to perfection. It is folk after all, if we all wanted perfection perhaps our favourite music would be classical.
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I believe I'm a former owner of that Sweetheart, and I can assure you, it never gave me that kind of performance. (sigh). Well done, Trip!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Gabriel,

Just had a chance to listen to this track. After listening, I immediately downloaded it to add to my library of great music. Thanks for sharing it. I think there is little doubt that you are one of the elite, top-notch players on this board. Mighty fine playing. Your cranns sound great; I also thought I heard double/triple tonguing, is this so?

Jason
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Kevin,
bad - I mean the timing probs you've mentioned. Sometimes you forget what you play, but even then should stay on time. I prefer not to have this mistake ever - means I don't have to play the tune perfectly, but yet be on timing. That's my own thinking though :) Besides that, many phrasing and accent issues also... But oh well.

crookedtune,
Thank you very much :)
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Here you go, Trip. As promised... kind of a first take.
Arbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2zhG6YK6dc
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQo5iwikIqM