What about John Rutzen Flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Hey all, I am wondering about what you guys think of John Rutzen's flutes. Are they good, and how do they compare to other flutes commonly mentioned on the board eg. Dixon, Copely, etc?

Secondly, will Dave Copely be producing Delrin flutes? I read it somewhere on the board that he is considering it.

Thirdly, I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out in my flute/fluting questions. If theres ever an award for person who asks the most flute questions and doesn't own a flute, I'd win it hands down. Thanks for indulging me!
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

I don't have any plans to produce delrin flutes, mainly because the demand for wooden flutes is keeping us more than busy. Also there would be a fair amount of re-learning and re-tooling needed because of the differences in machining delrin rather than wood. However I am working with someone else who is planning to develop and market a delrin flute based on the Copley design.

Dave Copley
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

http://www.johnrutzen.com/oflutes.htm
this is another beautiful site and I really liked the look of his boxwood flutes also.
Enjoy .....
8)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

talasiga wrote:http://www.johnrutzen.com/oflutes.htm
this is another beautiful site and I really liked the look of his boxwood flutes also.
Enjoy .....
8)
Your a little late to reply to Eldarion, but better late then never!
And I guess Dave changed his mind about working Delrin... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Jon C. wrote: And I guess Dave changed his mind about working Delrin... :D
Indeed! :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

@jonc
I wasn't replying to eldarion.
I am realising the topic which is about RUTZEN's flutes.
The initiating post need not proscribe the topic though it may
direct its initial impetus.
What better place to share a link about the flutes of John Rutzen
than a topic entitled so?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

talasiga wrote:@jonc
I wasn't replying to eldarion.
I am realising the topic which is about RUTZEN's flutes.
The initiating post need not proscribe the topic though it may
direct its initial impetus.
What better place to share a link about the flutes of John Rutzen
than a topic entitled so?
:poke:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

jon, what do you think of those boxwood flutes in Rutzen's site?
(I value your comments about flutes).
:)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

talasiga wrote:The initiating post need not proscribe the topic
Who's proscribing what/whom? Back to the USSR or late Republican/Imperial Rome or what?

Tal, I think you need to see the word doctor - get a prescription for it.......

Danged vowel fouls!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

For the highly linear I will elucidate that sentence:-

The initiating post need not proscribe subsequent posts that may not refer to the initial post but which are within the scope of the topic's heading although it is expected that the immediate subsequent posts should defer somewhat to the initial post unless a paucity of immediate subsequent posts over a reasonable effluxion of time demonstrates such deference to be impractical as a continuing driver of subsequent posts.

While I am at it I'll feed the linear, literal dragon that seems to tyrannise the mentality of some with yet another pedantic elucidation of an earlier sentence:
this is another beautiful site and I really liked the look of his boxwood flutes also
to read:-

This is another beautiful site, meaning, John Rutzen's site, and I really liked the look of his boxwood (with brass and cork) flutes also.

I hope this mollifies you somewhat.

Now, can we discuss Rutzen's flutes? Anyone?
:)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

talasiga wrote:The initiating post need not proscribe subsequent posts that may not refer to the initial post but which are within the scope of the topic's heading although it is expected that the immediate subsequent posts should defer somewhat to the initial post unless a paucity of immediate subsequent posts over a reasonable effluxion of time demonstrates such deference to be impractical as a continuing driver of subsequent posts.
Ahhhhh. I feel better now. Can't beat a good dose of polysyllabic Latinate verbiage. Just what the doctor ordered :D
You CAN do it when you bother, Talasiga! And we even understand what you (meant to) mean then!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

I'm getting tired of opening up a post and reading the first few posts and thinking about the topic and what my thoughts on the matter are and how can I share something useful, when I finally read that the initial post was posted seven or eight years ago.
I could be off-base here, but to me, it seems f-ing childish, kind of like those crank calls you make when you're a kid. Or throwing stones at cars.

Mahanpots
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

mahanpots wrote:I'm getting tired of opening up a post and reading the first few posts and thinking about the topic and what my thoughts on the matter are and how can I share something useful, when I finally read that the initial post was posted seven or eight years ago.
I could be off-base here, but to me, it seems f-ing childish, kind of like those crank calls you make when you're a kid. Or throwing stones at cars.

Mahanpots
Rutzen flutes are still being made, people are still buying them, playing them, curious about them, the Rutzen website is well and alive.

I didn't throw stones at cars or make crank calls when I was a kid so I don't quite understand your distress.

(I do, however, admit to wrapping little pebbles in lolly paper and selling them to some gullible school girls when I was about 3 years old. It was infantile, fanciful mimicking of Commerce with no pecuniary intention. My grandma still chased me about the house for that though with a large palm stem broom).
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Agreed. I hate when
A zombie thread is revived!
It makes me haiku.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

@fearfaoin.
your presence is bumping up the revival.

It happened liked this:-
I found the the Rutzen website and I thought I would share it and also put it in a flute topic for future reference.

Rather than automatically and egocentricly creating a new topic I thought I should see if a pre-existing topic would accomodate it. I searched and found this topic.

I hate it when hundreds of new topics are created on the same ol issue. Like all those topics about C nat. etc etc repeating themselves.

I find the whining objections to this constructive practice quite childish.
Fortunately, in my experience, a lot of constructive and entertaining posters engage in revived topics and this is reviving and refreshing.

No one is making you to join this topic and no one makes me read your whinging.

What should I do to get someone to post a comment about the FLUTES, the beautiful flutes in question?