Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Liney Bear
antispam: No

Re: Posting clips

Post by Liney Bear »

StefD wrote:Hi Folks. It has happend! I'm now proud owner of a five keyed R&R made by Tom Aebi. :party: :love:
Just got it this week. I've played it for two days and finally recorded this little clip just to hear how it sounds. What do you think?
I'm curious how it sounds after a few month when I've got used to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBhR3Q1CdM

(The slow air is called 'An Charraig Aonair', I've learned it from my teacher. The jig is 'Winnie Hayes''. We use to play this one at our local session.)
Nice work there. Your playing bears the mark of Alan Doherty's playing and instruction, to my ear at least. Wonder if you studied with him.
StefD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by StefD »

Liney Bear wrote:Nice work there. Your playing bears the mark of Alan Doherty's playing and instruction, to my ear at least. Wonder if you studied with him.
That's interesting. Indeed I've had a few lessons with Alan but he's not the one who tought me this slow air. But how did you recognize???
Stefan

'...whatever went in as a tradition, comes out as a tradition.'

http://www.crosswind-music.de
FernHollow77

Post by FernHollow77 »

Stef - Beautiful playing on that air. Sounds like you found a great flute. What does that title translate to, do you know? An Charraig Aonair?
Frank
StefD

Post by StefD »

FernHollow77 wrote:Stef - Beautiful playing on that air. Sounds like you found a great flute. What does that title translate to, do you know? An Charraig Aonair?
Frank
Thank you, Frank. 'An Charraig Aonair' means 'The Lone Rock' as far as I know.
Cheers
Stefan

'...whatever went in as a tradition, comes out as a tradition.'

http://www.crosswind-music.de
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

StefD wrote:
Liney Bear wrote:Nice work there. Your playing bears the mark of Alan Doherty's playing and instruction, to my ear at least. Wonder if you studied with him.
That's interesting. Indeed I've had a few lessons with Alan but he's not the one who tought me this slow air. But how did you recognize???
Just have a good sense of how Al teaches and plays. Tell him I said hello when you see him next.

Lovely playing. I hope you post more clips.
Flexismart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Here's a piece that I played today - The Castle of Dromore. I'll be using it as a wedding song (sung with lyrics I wrote for the occasion), but this is the rough idea.
I'm playing a custom Hamilton keyless into a SM58, recorded into an Edirol, using a RC20 looper for the guitar part - which I also play.

The down side is that Box.com has a lot of MP3 artifacts, so the recording is not nearly as clean as the WAV file, but, I think, still worth listening to. ( Hope you can endure it)

Here is:
https://www.box.com/s/add5cdab34015c0b691b

edited to provide a cleaner clip on box.net
tomo

Post by tomo »

ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Haven't posted anything in a while.... came across this lovely little barn dance in my files. Don't recall what flute I am playing....
Arbo

https://www.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_308 ... _339250228
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Why not just post to a place where you don't need to log in as a targeted entity?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

crookedtune wrote:Why not just post to a place where you don't need to log in as a targeted entity?
You can do that on Box.net. Arbo just posted the wrong (https instead of http) link.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

https://www.box.com/s/c64lcb817cibemmdo2aj

Guitar's too loud, I know...
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Gabriel wrote:https://www.box.com/s/c64lcb817cibemmdo2aj

Guitar's too loud, I know...
Mighty stuff. Class playing.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

B&S Dulcet Flute (Late C19th) - demo 2
Clip made for other purposes, but includes some (I hope) interesting tunes. Any feedback on the playing/material welcome. The clips of the different sets were done fairly swiftly without many retakes, so there are some obvious flubs......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

jemtheflute wrote:B&S Dulcet Flute (Late C19th) - demo 2
Clip made for other purposes, but includes some (I hope) interesting tunes. Any feedback on the playing/material welcome. The clips of the different sets were done fairly swiftly without many retakes, so there are some obvious flubs......
I like that flute. You sound great on it. Very in tune. Like your playing especially on the last reels. Where did you pick up the Cathy Chilcott reel? It was written at the request of Shay Black for his close friend and piper/fluter Cathy Chilcott. I play with them regularly in Berkeley, CA. She hosts grand house concerts and in the last year had Laurence Nugent one night and Kevin Crawford/Cillian Vallely another night.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Akiba wrote:I like that flute. You sound great on it. Very in tune. Like your playing especially on the last reels. Where did you pick up the Cathy Chilcott reel? It was written at the request of Shay Black for his close friend and piper/fluter Cathy Chilcott. I play with them regularly in Berkeley, CA. She hosts grand house concerts and in the last year had Laurence Nugent one night and Kevin Crawford/Cillian Vallely another night.
Thanks Akiba! It is a nice flute - hasn't the complexity of sonority of my R&Rs, but.... well, what I wrote in the FS listing on the UIE..... It's a snip!

Ah, the Liz Carroll reel - now, there's a tale to that........

The tune was written sometime in 2009 as a birthday gift for Ms CC. For some reason I don't recall, Liz sent a clip of herself playing it plus a manuscript of the dots to fluter Terry Clark-Coyne here in N Wales before she had debuted it herself at the Chilcott birthday party (or some such - I think it was birthday.....). Terry (brother of Eamon and Mick Coyne) seems to know just about everybody and anybody in the upper echelons of the ITM world from his family connections and years on the circuit. He now works as a teacher, as head of CDT in the local secondary school in the village where I live and lives not very far away. He's given me some fantastic practical help with developing and tooling up for the tunable version of my piccolos (not quite there yet!), I've fettled up his flute for him.......

Anyway, at the time Terry was occasionally attending our (then) main local session in Selattyn (in Shropshire, England - just over the border). With (according to Terry) Liz's blessing, he passed me and a few other regulars the clip and dots and we gave the tune what we believe was its very first public performance at the session in the pub in Selattyn. I don't recall the date, but it was definitely before Liz played it for Cathy Chilcott. Subsequently Liz included it in her published book of her own compositions which came out in the summer of 2011, so the dots are available publicly. :-)

So, I know nothing of Cathy Chilcott save her name, but I'm delighted to learn she's a fellow fluter - please pass her my regards when you next see her. The tune is very fiddle-ish (unsurprisingly!), not particularly flute-friendly (though I think I've found my way into it), so she might be interested in my clip........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads