Feet of Flames....and a Boxwood Rudall

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

treeshark wrote:I saw the Rudally one close up when he was rehearsing, didn't play or know anything about flute makers then, but did notice it was very pretty.
I'm told he's very poorly and in hospital so we should wish him well.
Googling news reports shows he left the hospital Nov. 18th and the reports also said his condition prior to leaving the hospital wasn't life threatening. Is there more recent news?

Loren
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

cajordan wrote:
BoneQuint wrote:
Loren wrote:Geeze, I don't know where I've been, but I missed this whole thing: http://www.celtictigerlive.com/sightsan ... deo_Clips/
My goodness. Those slit-skirt fiddle floozies are quite a "spectacle," to use a word used to describe the show from the interview clip...
This is fun .... lament/celtic fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsttkEZ3 ... ed&search=
(Hope the link works!)
The celtic fire bit (about 2 minutes in), has the holographic taped flute (oh, and the fiddlers are in leather now)
It's worth a look just to see if you can keep from shrieking aloud when he twirls the Olwell like a baton around :03:50 & :05:13. (I failed miserably; my cubiclemates are still startled :oops:)

Here's the clip I watched; same thing but maybe slightly different timecode...

Anyone know who he studied classical flute with? His range of vibrato is very nice; seems classically educated to me, anyway.
Last edited by Cathy Wilde on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

P.S. I would be willing to wear eyeliner if it would help me play like that.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

From the sound & condition & foot & the keywork & endcap I thought Wilkes. But it's not like I get to see too many original Rudalls ....
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cathy Wilde wrote:It's worth a look just to see if you can keep from shrieking aloud when he twirls the Olwell like a baton around :03:50 & :05:13. (I failed miserably; my cubiclemates are still startled :oops:)

Yeah, one better have a very tight tuning slide before trying that trick, huh?

Loren
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

Loren wrote:
treeshark wrote:I saw the Rudally one close up when he was rehearsing, didn't play or know anything about flute makers then, but did notice it was very pretty.
Googling news reports shows he left the hospital Nov. 18th and the reports also said his condition prior to leaving the hospital wasn't life threatening. Is there more recent news?

Loren
No youre more up to date than me. They did say what ever he had was dance threatening, but he was meant to be giving that up due to dodgey knees years ago. I'm just jealous of the fiddle floozeys, what we need are floot floozeys!! .... an floot fellahs for the gels as well of course!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Loren wrote:
Yeah, one better have a very tight tuning slide before trying that trick, huh?

Loren
And a tight endcap, too :oops:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

treeshark wrote:
Loren wrote:

Loren
No youre more up to date than me. They did say what ever he had was dance threatening, but he was meant to be giving that up due to dodgey knees years ago. I'm just jealous of the fiddle floozeys, what we need are floot floozeys!! .... an floot fellahs for the gels as well of course!
Thanks to the wonders of self-nomination, I hereby designate Trees as our official Flute Feller! Let the :love: ing begin!
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Thanks to the wonders of self-nomination, I hereby designate Trees as our official Flute Feller! Let the :love: ing begin!
Oh no! This means I have to wiggle up to a fiddle playing lady in a humiliating and ingratiating way whilst playing brilliantly the whole time.
I'm probably OK with the wiggling (within the limits of age) and ingratiation but the last item might prove tricky. :(

Mind you if they pay as well as Mr Flatley does I'll give it a go! :twisted:
Ed Stander

fLUTIFYING

Post by Ed Stander »

Not to spread oil on the waters, but I would rather doubt that Mr. Flatley is actually playing the flute whilst cosying up to the fiddleladies. It's too easy to lipsync, and much safer too, considering the difficulty of keeping a perfect sound whild dancing. Just a thought.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I confess I've always had a weakness for 'split-skirt fiddling
floozies.' Genetic, I reckon. Can't help but wiggle up to 'em.
'Humiliating and ingratiating' are in the eye of the
fiddling floozy, I'm afraid. Yes to humiliating, no to
ingratiating, so far.

I really like Flatley's bravura use of the flute as a
lead instrument. I didn't know a flute could do that.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I suspect Mr Flatley is actually playing the flute, come on! He not only has Feet of Flames, (and buns of steel) but probably Lungs the size of Watermelons with all the dancing he can do.... Can't you waltz around whilst playing your flute? If you know the tune really well? I know I can, rough amateur that I am.....

And I think the fiddle ladies are GREAT!!!!!! If I looked that good in a leather suit, I'd wear one all the time, are you kiddin' me?!?!?!?

M :party:
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Here's the clip I watched; same thing but maybe slightly different timecode...

if you watch closely around 4:20 and 4:40 it is pretty clear they are not playing live, there's a couple notes still playing when he';s already moved his mouth away from the flute.

I've heard from a musician who toured with one of the shows that the music is pre-recorded.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Blackwood wrote:I've heard from a musician who toured with one of the shows that the music is pre-recorded.
Some was some wasn't but the music was mostly live on the shows I worked on. The really odd thing was that the tap track of all the hoofers feet was pre recorded. So in rehearsal you had the chorus line there dancing away and then an invisible Flatley would come on and do his solo turn.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Some was some wasn't but the music was mostly live on the shows I worked on. The really odd thing was that the tap track of all the hoofers feet was pre recorded. So in rehearsal you had the chorus line there dancing away and then an invisible Flatley would come on and do his solo turn.
I think there are obviously practical matters of managing a show like this, one is miking to get consistent performance and sound quality, so i would think that they have to pre-record the tap track.
I would also think you would want to minimize risk here of things going wrong. With a wireless mike set-up with that much movement plus throwing your flute around sounds like a lot of risk to me...so i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this was pre-recorded...

He better not use that nice boxwood rudall as a baton :boggle: