Flute weapon

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I would have guessed it was a busker's flute. The spike would be to retrieve the bills dropped on the ground by passersby. Of course it would also be used to guard the stash as it grew.

Jim, would that work on the street.....?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

crookedtune wrote:I would have guessed it was a busker's flute. The spike would be to retrieve the bills dropped on the ground by passersby. Of course it would also be used to guard the stash as it grew.

Jim, would that work on the street.....?
Your theory intrigues me, but perhaps it was not just for bills.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:Jon, I want a flute weapon like that too! If nothing else it's ideal for puncturing the bodhran of the guy sitting next to you. :D
What a great idea! That would come in handy with the pesky thumping Bodhran!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

When I played with a group, the Bates St Band,
we had people try to run off with our tip jar.
So, yes, the flute weapon might have come
in handy, though personally I would prefer an AK 47.

What I do now is take the money out of the jar
as it comes in, except for a couple of bills
and change.
Dragon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dragon »

OKAY. I might be the only flute player who likes bodhran players but I don't care! I like bodhrans....and I think people should play them LOUD!

Jens_Hoppe wrote:Jon, I want a flute weapon like that too! If nothing else it's ideal for puncturing the bodhran of the guy sitting next to you. :D
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Dragon wrote:OKAY. I might be the only flute player who likes bodhran players but I don't care! I like bodhrans....and I think people should play them LOUD!
:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I have nothing against bodhran players actually. I just wish they'd play something else...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cofaidh wrote:I have nothing against bodhran players actually. I just wish they'd play something else...
:-? shouldn't that be somewhere else :-?
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Either something else or somewhere else. Whichever one is fine with me.

(Maybe both?) I just come from a philosophy of singling out behaviors rather than individuals.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cofaidh wrote:Either something else or somewhere else. Whichever one is fine with me.

(Maybe both?) I just come from a philosophy of singling out behaviors rather than individuals.
I've had good luck with:
D: All of the above
:D
Dragon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dragon »

Kiss this....
:waah:

The drum is the heartbeat of music! I say there should be more bodhrans and more people to play them!! And if your flutes are to weak to be heard above them then get a fife! My fife can be heard above a set of great highland pipes no problem. I can't stand Irish music that does not have a drummer or a weak drummer hidden on the back somewhere.
Granted for airs and some types of tunes or songs a drum will not add much, but there is wayyyy to much music out there with weak drums.

Sounds like most flute players are afraid all the toe tapping bragging rights will go to the drummers for stering a crowd.

Yours truly...

Jon C. wrote:
Dragon wrote:OKAY. I might be the only flute player who likes bodhran players but I don't care! I like bodhrans....and I think people should play them LOUD!
:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

[quote="Dragon"]Kiss this....
:waah:

The drum is the heartbeat of music! I say there should be more bodhrans and more people to play them!! And if your flutes are to weak to be heard above them then get a fife! My fife can be heard above a set of great highland pipes no problem. I can't stand Irish music that does not have a drummer or a weak drummer hidden on the back somewhere.
Granted for airs and some types of tunes or songs a drum will not add much, but there is wayyyy to much music out there with weak drums.

Sounds like most flute players are afraid all the toe tapping bragging rights will go to the drummers for stering a crowd. [quote]

Yours truly...
Actually, I like to hide behind the Bohdran player, either that or a banjo player, being session phobic... :oops:
Michael Flatley

Jon
ceadach
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

Ah, as to flute weapons. We shouldn't forget the flute itself. Long ago, I knocked a guy out cold with low whistle. He pulled a knife on a bandmate, and reflexs took over... :twisted: After the dust has settled, the police were very amused and my choice of weapons.

Whoa Tex....
Remember, there is a lot more to good percussion playing than brute volume. Even in a pipe band...

Speaking as someone who has played this music for 30 plus years and someone who plays various drums...good drumming can add much to a session or concert. However far too often beautiful tunes are wrecked by drooling trolls who can't hold a beat or worse, think that the most important thing in Traditional music is mindless pounding. As in all things, balance is the key my son.

Listen to a good performance of North Indian classical music. You will likely hear uncanny drumming of the first order. But never is the vocalist or lead instrumentalist drown out, unless there is a drum solo. Many great drumming of many traditions follows this rule.

Remember this too: Irish music was created to be danced to. Whereas dancers need a steady beat, they also need to hear the melody line clearly in order to know when to change step, places etc. in a give dance set. Loud druming defeats the point of the music. I've seen too many bodhran players make more enemies than friends this way.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Dragon wrote:The drum is the heartbeat of music! I say there should be more bodhrans and more people to play them!
:lol:

Good luck finding other instrumentalists who'll play with you.
Dragon wrote:And if your flutes are to weak to be heard above them then get a fife! My fife can be heard above a set of great highland pipes no problem.
Again, good luck finding other instrumentalists who'll play with you (besides drummers and other fifers). And this is coming from a Highland piper.
Dragon wrote:I can't stand Irish music that does not have a drummer or a weak drummer hidden on the back somewhere. Granted for airs and some types of tunes or songs a drum will not add much, but there is wayyyy to much music out there with weak drums.
When I first started listening to Scottish and Irish music I thought the bodhran was so cool because of how it amped the rhythm. But when I began to hear the rhythm embedded in the melody I no longer needed it so explicitly demonstrated. That's not to say I don't appreciate good bodhran playing. Colm Murphy accompanying Conal Ó Gráda on "The Gold Ring" or "Ride A Mile" are a couple of my favorite tracks of bodhran accompaniment. And the lads from Flook! and Téada accented the rhythm nicely when I saw them live.
Dragon wrote:Sounds like most flute players are afraid all the toe tapping bragging rights will go to the drummers for stering a crowd.
If traditional music was soley oriented towards performing for an audience your jab may have a target but it's not and so it totally misses the point. I don't play traditional music to make other peoples' toes tap. I play it to make my own toes tap and to share it with other musicians. If I can make other peoples' toes tap then that's icing on the cake.