Whereabouts of Patrick Olwell..

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whereabouts of Patrick Olwell..

Post by Eldarion »

Hi does anyone know if Pat Olwell is out of town right now? I've been trying to email him but have gotten no replies so far. Haven't called him yet though.. Thanks in advance!
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

I'd call, were I you. I've never received a reply to e-mail from him, but almost always have gotten hold of him by phone. Talked to him two days ago, in fact, at the number listed for him on the web, so ring him up!
WistleEnvy

Post by WistleEnvy »

I talked to him on the day before yestersday by phone. What a pleasant fellow.

BTW He told me he will be stopping taking bamboo orders in from November through April again this year to concentrate on his wooden flute waiting list. So if you are thinking about getting one you had better do so quickly

Later,
Colin
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Wierd ~ He has never failed to answer any of my emails, and I spoke with him on the phone about a week ago. However, he was very busy and had to cut our conversation short when the Fed-Ex man arrived (I heard him in the background) Very very nice guy!
Mary
Dana

Post by Dana »

Could someone PM me his email? Thanks!
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

While it is true that Patrick will cease making bamboo flutes from November-April, Steven Cox www.tallgrasswinds.com will be taking new orders for bamboo flutes starting around December, thus maintaining the universal bamboo production equilibrium.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

For those who are considering a purchase from Tallgrass, what would be a good way to select? There is a 3-pack offered, but choices are major, minor and pentatonic.

Anyone out there who's made a purchase ~ how did you choose, and are you pleased?

Mary
WistleEnvy

Post by WistleEnvy »

I have a Tallgrass F major transverse flute. It was a Christmas present last year. I really like it but it is the only bamboo flute I've ever played

It is very much in tune and I can get a range of tonal colors form it.

YMMV :)

Colin
fionnbarra

Post by fionnbarra »

could someone please PM pat olwells current email address to me?
thanks fellow fluters
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

[quote="Whistlin'Dixie"]For those who are considering a purchase from Tallgrass, what would be a good way to select? There is a 3-pack offered, but choices are major, minor and pentatonic.

Anyone out there who's made a purchase ~ how did you choose, and are you pleased?

Mary[/quote]

I've never played one of the tallgrass flutes, but I can comment on the scale choices...

It really depends what you want to do with the flute which you should choose. If you want to play Irish music, you'll almost certainly want the major model.

His minor flutes are a harmonic minor (according to his site) which many people feel has an asian sound to it due to the 1.5 step jump between the 6th and 7th. Being a harmonic minor, you can't take (for example) the D flute and play a typical tune in F major which usually has the same key signature as D minor. The harmonic D minor scale is D E F G A Bb C# D.

The pentatonic also will have a rather Asian or Native American sound, but you should note that the pentatonic scales used in NA music are not necessarily the same as those used in Japanese (the only Asian music I know in any detail). There are several ways to make a pentatonic scale on a piano, or a keyless (major) flute. They all have a slightly different sound and feel to them. I have no idea which of these pentatonic scales he uses. The pentatonic will be a great choice for improvisation and can be a lot of fun if that's a sound that you like.
fionnbarra

Post by fionnbarra »

just got address, cheers herb!
David Levine

Where's Patrick?

Post by David Levine »

I've been thinking about this thread, being Patrick's friend and all. Patrick lives in a tree. It's hard for him to answer email. The power isn't always on. And there isn't a lot of daylight in there.
He isn't really interested in being an industry. He's an artist -- a minimalist who works in wood. What he makes happens to be flutes. It takes a long time to make one. These flutes are made from the trees he lives in.
If you all left him alone maybe he'd get some work done.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Is he a squirrel? :o
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I've left him alone, but I sure would like to get my flute for Christmas....
Not going to bug him, though :lol:

Mary
Dana

Re: Where's Patrick?

Post by Dana »

David Levine wrote: These flutes are made from the trees he lives in.
Wow, I didn't know there were blackwood trees in Virginia! :o