Finally Got On the Olwell List

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MJ1619

Finally Got On the Olwell List

Post by MJ1619 »

Hey everybody,

Well. I did it. I have happily joined the ranks of you who are waiting for an Olwell keyed-flute. Six years :boggle: - long wait. But I know that it will be worth it. It seems that an Olwell has every characteristic I look for in a flute: responsiveness, power, and "easy to fill."

There's a bright side to the wait, though. With enough practice, in six years I might just be good enough to be worthy of such an instrument - hopefully. Well, back to it! I've only got 72 months :D

Michael
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

You can, if you haven't already, get a keyless Olwell in
about a year and retrofitt it or sell it when the keyed
flute is ready.
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

jim,

I hadn't thought about it, but now you've got me thinking. It might be a really good idea. Not having played an Olwell keyless myself, would anyone out there who has or, better yet, owns one care to say how they liked it? Being an Olwell, I'd guess that it probably has the same qualities as the keyed, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could comment on it.

Thank again,

Michael

(Playing is what I enjoy most, but discussing instruments and anticipating a new one sure is great too. :P )
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

One more thing. Out of curiosity, when they say "a year from receipt of deposit" is it really a year or close to it or is it more like a couple of years. I've heard varying comments about this other places on the web.

Michael
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

How long's the wait time to get on that list? :)
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have 2-3 keyless Olwells. One is an old (pre-serial number) all-wood rosewood medium-holed; the other 1-2 are a small-holed boxwood French-style (slide with unlined head), a D flute with an additional Eflat body. They're pretty much as you've described the keyed versions: easy to fill, flexible sound, very responsive. The medium-holed one is especially flexible and dynamic. I can go from loud to soft, dirty to pure without changing the pitch at all.

We've been on the list for a keyed version of that one for 2-3 years, complete with sending the flute down to Massey's Mill to be measured so they can use the right reamers. One good thing about the wait is they'll definitely be making 8-keys by the time our numbers come up.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

chas,

Thank you for your reply. I sincerely hope you're right that they will be making the eight-keyed flutes by the time our numbers come up. I gather from your response that you like your keyless Olwells. I was looking at the Pratten for the keyed version, and am debating whether to get the same in a keyless or look at the Nicholson (the medium hole) for a different instrument. It sounds like you really like the medium hole version. Do you think the French-style head makes a significant difference?

Dale: according to the Olwell shop, the wait for a keyless is about 12-14 months, while it's six years for the keyed. As far as I know as soon as you send them your information (with a $300 deposit for the keyless), you are on the list.

Michael
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The keyless Olwells are superb flutes, absolutely
tops, especially with a tuning slide. I have a Pratten
keyless and it is simply extraordinary. Mike Rafferty
was performing on a keyless Pratten at
the ST. Louis Tional last year.

I think one year means about one year, but in any
case it's hard to go wrong getting on the waiting list.

My opinion is that if you can handle a Pratten you
should get one as opposed to a Nicholson (setting
aside the different interests that might lead one
to a Rudall). Obviously people can disagree, but
I feel the Pratten has great power and expressiveness
and also the Olwell Pratten isn't hard to handle
for a Pratten. The hole spacing and size
are not prohibitive.

If it were me and I wanted to play ITM and I didn't
have small hands and I had the money, I would
get a Pratten. In fact I did. Also the Pratten
headjoint takes the Nicholson body, which you
can get too, for 700 dollars.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

chas wrote:small-holed boxwood French-style (slide with unlined head)
What exactly is this slide with unlined head? Is it the half-lined headjoint that Patrick is making now, or some kind of all-wood slide?
chas wrote:One good thing about the wait is they'll definitely be making 8-keys by the time our numbers come up.
They're making them now. Josh Dukes has one of the first ones and plays it on his CD. (Except that Josh only has seven keys and the blocks for the eighth due to cost considerations.)
chas

Post by chas »

johnkerr wrote:
chas wrote:small-holed boxwood French-style (slide with unlined head)
What exactly is this slide with unlined head? Is it the half-lined headjoint that Patrick is making now, or some kind of all-wood slide?
It's the half-lined head. I'd forgotten about Josh's flute -- it was a year or two ago that I'd talked to Patrick and Aaron about the 8-keys. Aaron was working on one for himself at the time, so still wasn't sure when they'd be in production.

MJ, I opted for the French-style head in order to get a tunable flute (I play consistently flat) but retain as much woodiness as possible in the sound. I like the mellowness of the boxwood, which I think would be brightened up with a fully lined head.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

chas,

Thank you for explaining your reasoning behind the French-style head. My current flute has a fully-lined head-joint which provides a really rich and clear tone. I'd like to hear how the French-style head-joint sounds though. Do you know of any recordings or clips on the web with a French-style head?

Thanks again,

Michael
daiv

Post by daiv »

the keyless and the keyed are the same flute--the keyed just has keys. if you can afford it, go for a keyless in the mean time. you wont regret it.

i also recommend a pratten. rudall style flutes are great, but the small holed olwell is not a rudall style flute, as far as i understand, it plays more like an olwell (which is a good thing) than anything. so, have fun with it, get a keyless pratten style olwell, and a keyed pratten style olwell, if you want a keyed flute.
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

daiv, sound advice. I think I am going to go for it and order a keyless pratten. There is no harm. Speaking from strictly a financial standpoint (disgusting rational thinking :lol: ), I'd say that an Olwell is a very safe investment (if anyone thinks otherwise, let me know). On a more important note, I know it will be a lot of fun.

By the way, if there is anyone from north or central New Jersey who is reading this thread and either owns or knows someone who owns an Olwell pratten and would be willing to let me take a look at it, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from him or her. I'd just like to get a sense of the feel of the instrument, particularly the hole size and spacing.

Thanks again,

Michael
chas

Post by chas »

daiv wrote: i also recommend a pratten. rudall style flutes are great, but the small holed olwell is not a rudall style flute, as far as i understand, it plays more like an olwell (which is a good thing) than anything. so, have fun with it, get a keyless pratten style olwell, and a keyed pratten style olwell, if you want a keyed flute.
The Pratten Olwell also plays more like an Olwell.

I have played my Olwell Rudall side-by-side with Patrick's (virtually) exact copy of the original, and they're really similar outside of the tuning. Chris Norman has played mine side-by-side with his Rudall, which is the original, and has said the same thing. Olwell has put his own stamp on all the designs, which is why he prefers calling them large- medium- and small-holed flutes rather than Prattens, Nicholsons, and Rudalls. But when I asked for a copy of the Rudall rather than his small-holed flute, he said I really didn't want the copy, that all he'd done was change the scale. Of course, embouchure cuts are very individual, and he does his own. But the guts of the flute are as close as you're likely to find in a flute with modern tuning.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

jim stone wrote:... Also the Pratten
headjoint takes the Nicholson body, which you
can get too, for 700 dollars.
I should be receving my Pratten/Nicholson keyless set in the next month or so. In addition to the Nicholson body...

As per Patrick:
"You also need a different footjoint because the Nicholson foot is a tiny bit smaller in the internal diameter so the Nicholson body would play best with it's own footjoint. The cost of the second body is $695, and the foot, with the two silver rings, is $200"

Michael