Would I notice a difference between a Copley and ...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Re: Would I notice a difference between a Copley and ...

Post by Jay »

"I wonder about some of the other flutes out there. If I were to try a Somers or a Forbes or a Seery how different would it be?"

Sensed a little wanderlust in his statement and felt once he tries of few of the plastic flutes, he might find himself wondering about those wooden ones. Next would be the ones with keys... No offense intended. Dave's delrin flute was one of the best playing flutes I've owned. I wish I had taken my own advice, stuck with the Copley and saved up for the flute I have now.

-Jay
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

9 out of 10 British housewives can't tell the difference between Whizzo butter and a dead crab.

Rob
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

jim stone wrote:If it works no need to fix it, and if you do ultimately jump somewhere one day, the place to go is probably a wooden flute
by a good maker, not another delrin flute. I think you would notice the difference.
Wood is not all it's 'cracked up' to be. :)

I think the difference between wood or delrin is going to be very minimal, if any, everything else being equal. It is the design, eg bore, embouchure cut etc that counts.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

trekkie wrote: If I were to try a Somers or a Forbes or a Seery how different would it be?
Some will be more different, some will be less, but none will be "better". I haven't played a Somers flute, but I've owned Seery and M&E, played a Forbes, currently own a Watson and Copley, all in polymer. None of them play exactly the same as another maker's flute. Some may be easier or tougher depending on your embouchure. IME though, there isn't a better polymer flute out there than the Copley.

Would you notice some differences between the different polymer flutes? Sure. Would you like another one better? Possibly, for a while, then you'd start wondering about others and repeat the cycle. Would you sound better on a different flute? No. Example: I was once at a session and between sets heard Peter Molloy (Matt Molloy's son) play 3 very different flutes one after the other to compare them: An Olwell Pratten (his flute), a Grinter (as R&R as they get), and I think the third flute was a Wilkes, but I am not 100% certain about the last. Regardless, to those of us flute players listening he sounded virtually identical on all 3 flutes, although he was loudest on his own flute, the Olwell, which isn't surprising.

Moral of the story, do yourself a favor and don't get into flute chasing, chase the music instead.

Loren

P.S. Does anyone know if Peter is still in Boston and playing around?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

gorjuswrex wrote:
jim stone wrote:If it works no need to fix it, and if you do ultimately jump somewhere one day, the place to go is probably a wooden flute
by a good maker, not another delrin flute. I think you would notice the difference.
Wood is not all it's 'cracked up' to be. :)

I think the difference between wood or delrin is going to be very minimal, if any, everything else being equal. It is the design, eg bore, embouchure cut etc that counts.
I agree that design matters considerably. I disagree that the difference between wood and delrin is going to be
very minimal. Been playing wood flutes and delrin flutes for over a decade and that's been my experience, anyhow.
As Jessie K put it once, 'the spirit of the tree is alive in the wood,' that is, I think there is an 'alive' and vibrant quality
to the sound that I don't find in delrin. I believe she actually had bought a very rare delrin Olwell pratten
and was commenting on that.

I've never played ebonite and can't comment on that.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jim stone wrote:I've never played ebonite and can't comment on that.
viewtopic.php?p=906033#p906033

?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks for the correction. What I had in mind was that I have never played an ebonite D flute.
I did briefly play a very old ebonite F flute at Ralph Sweet's place and was impressed by its sound,
but I can't generalize to other keys. It had turned a nice shade of green, by the way.
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

jim stone wrote:I agree that design matters considerably. I disagree that the difference between wood and delrin is going to be
very minimal. Been playing wood flutes and delrin flutes for over a decade and that's been my experience, anyhow.
As Jessie K put it once, 'the spirit of the tree is alive in the wood,' that is, I think there is an 'alive' and vibrant quality
to the sound that I don't find in delrin. I believe she actually had bought a very rare delrin Olwell pratten
and was commenting on that.
I wonder if anyone has done a blind comparison of a tune played on a wood and delrin flute from the same maker? I'm curious to hear the difference. Of course audible difference is only one of the types of differences, wood could feel and handle differently too. In my case I am on a budget so I went with delrin and I prefer not to even try a wooden flute especially one with keys for fear that I'll end up with one! :)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yes, I've played Blackwood and Delrin Olwell Nicholson's side by side in a quiet room. I also had someone else in the room play those flutes for me while I had my back turned. I was just barely able to tell them apart, and my ear for such things is better than most, I would put good money down that the vast majority of players couldn't tell the difference in a blind test. I think the Olwell comparison is a good one in particular because Patrick is one of the most consistent makers from flute to flute with regards to tone and playability.

I will say this though, whether or not the headjoint is lined does make a difference: An unlined Delrin flute will sound slightly softer/warmer/less "glassy" than one with a lined headjoint. Much like a woodenflute.

Loren
maki

Post by maki »

Say Cunparis, how are you getting on with your Copley derlin?
This is your first 'Irish' flute?
Thanks.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

Loren wrote:I will say this though, whether or not the headjoint is lined does make a difference: An unlined Delrin flute will sound slightly softer/warmer/less "glassy" than one with a lined headjoint. Much like a woodenflute.
Can you explain what you mean by being "lined"? Are Copley Delrin flutes lined? How can I check?
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

maki wrote:Say Cunparis, how are you getting on with your Copley derlin?
This is my first horizontal flute of any kind. I got it while on vacation in the US so I didn't really get to play it until we got back to France a week and a half ago. I was very surprised at my progress. I've been practicing jumping octaves to work on the embouchure and even trying for the overtones (getting A while fingering D).

While the embouchure was easier than I expected, the fingering and holding the flute is more difficult (I'm used to low whistle with piper's grip and I use a classic grip on the flute). As a result I can't play very fast or for very long periods of time.

One other thing, my embouchure is not efficient because I run out of breath and even feel a bit light-headed. :o

I'm considering doing a couple skype lessons to find out how to improve and find any problems.

As for the Copley, I have no way to make a comparison but I'm very happy with it and when I get a keyed one, a Copley keyed Delrin would be at the top of my list.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

cunparis wrote:Can you explain what you mean by being "lined"?
Metal tube inside the Delrin/wood head.
Are Copley Delrin flutes lined?
Not the basic ones, but Dave told me the ones with tuning slides normally are and I'm considering that for my keyed flute.
How can I check?
Look inside... but I'll bet it's not!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

Peter Duggan wrote:
cunparis wrote:Can you explain what you mean by being "lined"?
Metal tube inside the Delrin/wood head.
Are Copley Delrin flutes lined?
Not the basic ones, but Dave told me the ones with tuning slides normally are and I'm considering that for my keyed flute.
How can I check?
Look inside... but I'll bet it's not!
Mine is not. So if I understand correctly, that's a good thing as far as sound goes.

Wouldn't a wooden one have a tuning slide and therefore sound similar to a delrin with a tuning slide (lined head)?
maki

Post by maki »

cunparis wrote:
maki wrote:Say Cunparis, how are you getting on with your Copley derlin?
This is my first horizontal flute of any kind. I got it while on vacation in the US so I didn't really get to play it until we got back to France a week and a half ago. I was very surprised at my progress. I've been practicing jumping octaves to work on the embouchure and even trying for the overtones (getting A while fingering D).

While the embouchure was easier than I expected, the fingering and holding the flute is more difficult (I'm used to low whistle with piper's grip and I use a classic grip on the flute). As a result I can't play very fast or for very long periods of time.

One other thing, my embouchure is not efficient because I run out of breath and even feel a bit light-headed. :o

I'm considering doing a couple skype lessons to find out how to improve and find any problems.

As for the Copley, I have no way to make a comparison but I'm very happy with it and when I get a keyed one, a Copley keyed Delrin would be at the top of my list.
I've been enjoying using Rocky O' Grada's totorial;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85512&hilit=rocky

You've got many options for Skype flute teachers to.