Curiosity: Loudest wooden flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Curiosity: Loudest wooden flute

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Steampacket wrote:"but in general your question has no answer..." Lorenzo.

When I got an Olwell Pratten it was louder than my other flutes to begin with, but after a while I found that my other flutes were also capable of being as loud as the Olwell. I guess my technique improved, which made it easier to increase the volume of the other flutes. As someone mentioned it's not always the "loudest" flutes you'll hear the most in say a session. Tone plays an important part. Also loudness isn't always the best choice, unless you possess a large ego and constantly crave attention. Sometimes it's nice to blend in with the other players. Loudness isn't that important really, better to try and become a good flute player :thumbsup:
My experience, too. Past a certain point, it's really a combination of tone and the ability to fill a flute that makes it seem loud. "Authority" might be a better term for this than "volume." In my experience, it seems the harder one tries to be loud, the less good a flute will sound -- but if you aim for authority, you'll achieve the desired result.

Meanwhile ... the loudest flute sound I've ever heard came from a Casey Burns flute in the hands of someone who had plenty of authority but alas, not much control or musicality. Turned a nice instrument into a flute-zooka!

Edited to add that I think the biggest-sounding flutes I've heard across the board are Olwells. Then again, since I play one and do tend to be too loud, maybe I'm drowning everything else out :oops:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Meanwhile ... the loudest flute sound I've ever heard came from a Casey Burns flute in the hands of someone who had plenty of authority but alas, not much control or musicality. Turned a nice instrument into a flute-zooka!
I'm not really sure why, but I would love to have heard that.
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

Steampacket wrote:"but in general your question has no answer..." Lorenzo.
Loudness isn't that important really, better to try and become a good flute player :thumbsup:
Indeed. However in my case, I need to play several times outdoor with a loud uilleann pipe and sometimes with a bagpipe too. That's why loud is necessary for me, and I think for all buskers in the world that don't use amplification.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

What flute do you currently play in these outdoor situations?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Have you tried wearing a hat?

No, I'm not kidding. :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I play outside with my group several times per year, and busk as well. If your embouchure is good, your flute carries much better than you, the player, thinks. There have been several times at our renfest where I couldn't hear myself at all but 20 rows back all the audience can hear is me on whichever flute I have and the whistle.

Just sayin'....
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Have you tried wearing a hat?

No, I'm not kidding. :-)
Ah, the good old Paddy Keenan method! :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

" I need to play several times outdoor with a loud uilleann pipe and sometimes with a bagpipe too. That's why loud is necessary for me, and I think for all buskers in the world that don't use amplification." Timberflute22

Well try and get the uilleann piper to close his reed up a little so you are more evenly balanced volume wise. Better still improve your embouchure and breathing technique. If the "other bagpipe" is a Scottish Highland pipe, or gaida, then there's no hope for ye, unless you try a small battery driven guitar amp and a contact microphone. I've busked with an acoustic guitar so you don't need to be loud, if you're any good people will listen and some will give you money
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Another distinction to consider is whether the flute is loud to the player or the audience. Some flutes give a big sound under the ear, so the player thinks she's shaking the rafters, but the flute isn't projecting very well. Projection doesn't get talked about a lot in these circles, but it's a big consideration for classical flute players: can the back row in a big hall hear you? Like many things, projection is partly the flute's job, with the burden of proof resting on the player. And it is challenging outside! (Wear a hat, put a wall behind you--anything for the sound to reflect against.)
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

Thanks for the answers.
I play with a Hammy and I feel well with bagpipes. Specially with a sound pushed at his maximum limit.
However I'm curious about Grinter references, because I've heard that it has a tone similar to a Pratten (robust, warm and full sound) despite it's a kind of Rudall.
I'll try with an hat :P

Ps: why you can say that Hammy's one "cuts" between other instruments not due for its volume?
Thank you
Hup

Post by Hup »

I've heard a lot of Grinters being played here in sessions and
they're not terribly loud --- except when Peter Woodley is behind the wheel!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Timberflute22 wrote:Ps: why you can say that Hammy's one "cuts" between other instruments not due for its volume?
Thank you
I guess that the particular balance of fundamental and harmonics can stand out.
paddler

Post by paddler »

I've heard a lot of Grinters being played here in sessions and
I had a lesson with Kevin Crawford a few weeks ago. When he played his Grinter he produced a very powerful (and beautiful) sound. I'm convinced that the player was the more significant factor than the specific make or model of flute being played though.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Hup wrote:I've heard a lot of Grinters being played here in sessions and
Agree. I don't find Grinters/Kev particularily loud.. Nice full sound, oh yes, but not (overly) loud.
Again, the loudest i've heard was Hernon, Murray and Hammy (flutes, not players :) ) but that may well be the players as much as the flutes.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Agree with Larry that the loudest flute player I've ever heard is Marcus Hernon-easily heard at an Irish music week session with 30 people. So much air at such high pressure through such a small lip opening.....

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.