love the one you're with

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

love the one you're with

Post by tin tin »

I was recently (re)thumbing through Hammy's 'Irish Flute Player's Handbook' and stopped to notice this passage:
There is no such thing as the perfect flute. I am always meeting people who spend a lot of time and money trying to find the 'right flute'. In general the defect is in themselves, and not in the long series of instruments that they acquire and reject.
Having just concluded the annual season of desire and acquisition, these are perhaps words worth hearing. Many of us (myself included) have been among those people, but time after time, I'm reminded 'it's the player'...I've heard inexpensive Folk Flutes by Burns sound brilliant and top-of-the-line Olwell flutes sound less than, in both cases credit to the players.
So assuming you (and I) have a good flute, whatever it may be, let's love the one we're with and direct our covetous desires at tunes, which one can't have too many of and which are free (aside from time) to acquire.
crookedtune

Re: love the one you're with

Post by crookedtune »

Yes and no, depending.

I went through a good seven or eight flutes before finally finding the model that works best for me. I now own that same model in both keyed D and unkeyed Eb versions. I won't claim these two flutes are necessarily better than the others I owned, but I will claim without hesitation that they suit me better, which is really all that counts.

I encourage trying lots of flutes, and am very glad that I traded heavily in my first few years of playing. Unfortunately, it's not like guitars, where you can drive down to the store and play forty of fifty. That's why I find the banter and trading that happens here to be so valuable.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

crookedtune wrote:Yes and no, depending.

I went through a good seven or eight flutes before finally finding the model that works best for me. I now own that same model in both keyed D and unkeyed Eb versions. I won't claim these two flutes are necessarily better than the others I owned, but I will claim without hesitation that they suit me better, which is really all that counts.

I encourage trying lots of flutes, and am very glad that I traded heavily in my first few years of playing. Unfortunately, it's not like guitars, where you can drive down to the store and play forty of fifty. That's why I find the banter and trading that happens here to be so valuable.
Second. It's finally come down to small holed rudally flutes. Never would have got there if I hadn't tried a lot of flutes.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I tend to agree with what has been said. I think there is a perfect flute for a specific player but that flute will not make them a better player it will just suit their playing the best. No two flutes or people are exactly the same; what suits one player will not suit another. I think it is valuable to try different flutes to figure out what any given player may be looking for and what suits them, but this isn't something a beginner needs to do. A player has to be able to control a flute before they can really know what they are looking for. They need to know what type of player they are before they can find a flute that will suit their playing, but in order to find the flute that will suit their playing they need to try different ones. Unfortunately most people don't have the option to try out all sots of flutes without actually buying them.

In the first couple of years I played I did a lot of buying and selling, after about 3 years of playing and trading I found myself with a Martin Doyle flute. I loved it and felt like that would suit me for a while. After about 4 years on that flute I found that I wanted something different. I have never really had an issue with volume and therefore I like a flute that is a bit more difficult to play, helps keep me in check! I've never been told I was too quiet but I've often been told I'm too loud. The Doyle had lots of power in it and was easy to play, really more power and ease than I needed. Of course it was also adept at being played softly and could have a very hollow mellow tone if desired. I started to focus more on playing with a middle of the road tone and found that the Doyle did not respond well to this. Entirely doable but the tendency on this flutes was one extreme or another. I also figured that after 7 years of playing and being in my final year of a bachelors degree in trad music I thought it was about time I looked into getting keys, plus I had been saving up and the money was there. I went looking for something second hand and ended up with a J. Gallagher flute after getting loads of offers this one just seemed right. I took a chance on, it but now after 2 years of playing it I realize I made the right decision and really have no desire for a different flute. This one suits me perfectly, but it will not suit everyone perfectly. I've met great players who couldn't get a sound out of it and mediocre players who got a lovely tone out of it. It is the perfect flute for me, well it would be if it had a rh Bb key, but not necessarily the perfect flute for anyone else.

My point is that IMO one is better spending time learning on a flute they know is good and looking for 'the one' later when they will have the skills to appreciate and recognize it when it comes along.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Hammy´s right, you have to put the time in, and it all comes down to the player in the end. But at the same time flutes do sound different, and have different qualities. Over the ten or so years I've been playing the flute I've purchased some good flutes second hand, which I play and appreciate because of their different sounds, and qualities. The Olwell Pratten can be very loud and is easy to blow, strong bottom notes, but doesn't have the great sound/character of the Rudall Carte which is 120 years old.

Top quality timber flutes are not that expensive compared to what people are prepared to invest in violins, bows, oboes, old Martins, Gibson & Fender guitars from the 1950's & '60's, so you don't have to be a millionaire to own more than one flute if sufficiently obssesed. :)
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Stick with one and loose the chance to mess with the others? Nah, it's more fun the other way around :twisted:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Both sides of this argument have validity. Certainly, playing lots of different flutes is fun, and rewarding in of itself. But it should be noted that something not-particularly staggering happens during those first years of a new player trying and trading off flutes until they find the one best suited to them; they've played and practiced a few extra years. Not a great surprise, then, that they find the flute best suited to them right around the same time they're getting pretty comfortable on the instrument in general. Had they stayed with their first, best flute, they'd probably find it just right for them around that time, too.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I think I may be one of the worst "offenders" in this category! I've been playing for about 5 years and I don't even know how many flutes I've owned in that time (over 10, for sure!). I've even had a blow on a couple of Olwells (they weren't for me) and many others. The good part of this adventure is that I've become aware of a lot of nuances between the different makers and can discuss them with "newbies". I don't think there is a bad part, actually. Money-wise, I think I've come out even or slightly ahead, but I think I'm lucky in this respect. My only caution is that you shouldn't trust your impressions for the first couple of years or so.

I should mention that I THINK I've found my "lifer" flute (97.31% certain) in a John Gallagher Pratten. My backup flute, however, is still a revolving door! I DO have a case of "seller's remorse" for a keyless Martin Doyle flute!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

I think this issue depends upon your objective! :D

If all you wish to do is become an adept flute player of ITM, then one good flute and lots of practice should suffice.

However if you are a flute looney, then the trials and coming to understand the nuances of different flutes becomes the objective! :party:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sillydill wrote:I think this issue depends upon your objective! :D
If all you wish to do is become an adept flute player of ITM, then one good flute and lots of practice should suffice.
However if you are a flute looney, then the trials and coming to understand the nuances of different flutes becomes the objective! :party:
That's precisely it: do you want to play music, or do you want to play (with) flutes? (See guitarists.)
Anyway, I thought this topic might ruffle a few feathers... :twisted:
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"That's precisely it: do you want to play music, or do you want to play (with) flutes?" Cartoon guy.

Both of course :boggle: no problem combining the two, Hopefully you play the music on the flutes you have. I've acquired three flutes over the years which I play on a regular basis. No wish to sell my flutes, no need to acquire more to try out or trade or whatever. The temperature goes below zero these days here, so I don't cycle to a session with a Rudall in my backpack, I take one of the other two. :thumbsup:
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Tintin wrote: That's precisely it: do you want to play music, or do you want to play (with) flutes? (See guitarists.)
Anyway, I thought this topic might ruffle a few feathers... :twisted:

Actually, I'm more a guitarist than flute player, so I have to take exception here. I absolute love guitars and would own many (more) if I could (I've certainly been through a lot, over the years), yet I almost always stick with my one main choice for most playing - the one I depend on most onstage (which roughly translates to 'the one I'm am most comfortable with'.) . Kept another guitar onstage for emergencies, but rarely changed between them during a set. If I was wealthy, I'd own lots more guitars (and, yes, many flutes). But for regular play, I'd most likely stick with the main instrument. Of course, then there are the amps...

So, being obsessive about intruments themselves, as opposed to actually practicing and getting better - and therefore acquiring lots of them - is an entirely different issue than learning which flute is or should be your particular favorite or regular flute for practice/performance. To improve, it's probably much better to work on getting the best sound out of one particular flute. The skill, and sound, will translate to other flutes - that's why great players sound good on any flute. But if you can manage to do both, hey... I say go for it.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I think that my third flute, and my third fife were the ones that really held. I have a few brass and plastic fifes for those times where I don't want to worry about damage and just throw the things in the rucksack I think my second whistle but bought a third because the characteristics seemed opposite from my favorite one. None were "upgrades", none were "better", they were just what I wanted and what I was looking for. If there is one thing I know about myself, if I like what I am using, I tend to use it more. Seems that 2-3 shots is how much it takes to know what I want.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

love the one you're with

Yes....but which one? :lol:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."