Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

matahari_1946 wrote:Wow, you can sure get a great sound, Arbo. Very strong and a great honking bottom D! Nice take on Teehan's. I'm not sure how I like those notes dropped an octave, though. I know you've posted before about what kind of flute you play but I can't remember.

You posted a version of Return to Fingal earlier. I like to play these two together, Teehan's and Fingal but I play Fingal as a slow reel instead of a march. I recorded the two a while ago but on low whistle so didn't post it here.
Thanks. Is your version of fingal posted in your box? BTW, I am playing my beat up, very well loved, original R&R.
Arbo
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

That was excellent, Arbo.

I also play "Return From Fingal" and "Terry Teehan's" as a medley.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

So what order do you play these tunes? Which is first. I can't tell by the posts?
Arbo
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

ImNotIrish wrote:Thanks. Is your version of fingal posted in your box? BTW, I am playing my beat up, very well loved, original R&R.
Arbo
Yep, my version is in my box. A low whistle duet with myself. :) I play the medley with Teehan's first then Fingal. I think I learned both from Lunasa recordings so maybe that's why I play them together.

That's right, your original R&R. It sounds great!
~Tiff
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I play them in the same order than matahari_1946.
Lúnasa play both tunes, but not in the same track. Anyways, they fit very well together.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Nice job. What was that played on?

Oh, and I think you've inspired me to make this one my first song to learn on flute. :)

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

kennychaffin wrote:

Oh, and I think you've inspired me to make this one my first song to learn on flute. :)

KAC
Thanks, kennychaffin.

It was played on my Tipple low D, as the rest of the tunes I uploaded (it's my only flute at the moment :wink:)

It's a very beautiful tune, indeed...
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Bothrops wrote:
kennychaffin wrote:

KAC
Thanks, kennychaffin.

It was played on my Tipple low D, as the rest of the tunes I uploaded (it's my only flute at the moment :wink:)

It's a very beautiful tune, indeed...
Thanks, I couldn't remember off the top of my head what flute you had. I'll try to remember in the future.

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

"Man Of The House"
http://audio.xanga.com/Bothrops/52dee2192345/audio.html

The 2nd part of the repetition is totally ****** up, sorry.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I just added a new clip to my webpage, Calliope House. It's my favorite jig lately. I took the setting from a Black brothers song album in which Shay Black sings "Recruiting Seargant" that has Calliope House interspersed in it. Great tune. Just happens that Shay leads the session I attend in Berkeley, CA.

Anyways, would love some feedback. I actually use more tongueing in this tune than I ever have. I think it helps to catch the feel of the tune better than cuts, particularly on the repeated notes.

By the way, I'm playing my fix-it project for the last 6 months--an old Lark in the Morning flute (Pakistan Special).

Go to (same as below): www.geocities.com/jpollack2000/JasonClips.html and press on Calliope House.

Cheers,

Jason
Tirno

Post by Tirno »

Hi Jason! You get a really nice flowing rythm to that tune. Very nice.

The tonguing you talk about? It's in the first part on those high notes? I think it works out well. I really like a phrasing like that the makes it sound like there are two tunes playing at once. Very matt molloyish.

I'm not really in any place to give you advice, but for my money (oh right, nothing paid, nothing earned ;)), you could use more phrasing like that of the first part to give more "shape" or "bumps" to the tune that the listener can get their ear attached to. Maybe also using breath control to huff some of the notes (instead of tonguing).

Or you could just continue playing like that. One of the best clips I've heard on this thread.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Jason,

Nice sound from the Pakistan Special. I like your version of that tune, although I don't play it. I'd like to....

Martin (Bothrops),

I thought I'd share my version of Man of the House:

Man of the House and Tim Maloney's

Played slowly on my Olwell. Comments please.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I can't say nothing!

It sounds spectacular to me, I love the strong and clean tone that you can get in the lower octave.
Very nice version! :D
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Here it's my take on "Return From Fingal" (Lúnasa version)

http://audio.xanga.com/Bothrops/d56352195970/audio.html
Tirno

Post by Tirno »

Michael,

You get a great sound out of that flute very enjoyable. I would say that you could work on stronger phrasing. When I'm listen to your playing, it's unequal. Very nice playing and then suddenly, you dwell on one note a bit too long and the next one seems forced out. Basically, you've moved out of the flow and back in again. This tends to happen on quarter notes, but occasionally on 8ths. For instance that "long note" towards the end of the first part. I would put a breath there, or play it with 2 notes or just put a pause without a breath or add a cut. But I don't think that's the problem. I think you're dwelling on them a bit too long. This also happens at the beginning of the second part on the 8ths of the first bar. One of them is a bit too long.

Two "solutions" (assuming you agree there is any kind of problem - I may be way off base here. If you search for my posts, you'll hear examples of my playing to see what my comments are "worth"):

1) Cut up your playing with more breaths or more pulse. This will make your breaths even more relaxed and will give you the necessary space not to occasionally fall "off" the flow you've set up.

2) Be even more precise with the flow you've set up. Don't fall off it. There is a kind of matt molloy zen-ness to be found in the way you play that is worth pursueing - think drowsy maggie on the "heathery breeze" album.

All this being advice from someone who doesn't play as well as you, so feel free to disregard.