Who is your greatest influence as a flute player?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Flute Player that influences you the most

Matt Molloy
35%
Laurence Nugent
4%
Kevin Crawford
19%
Josie McDermott
4%
Mike Rafferty
11%
Seamus Eagan
5%
Catherine McEvoy
17%
Cathal McConnell
5%

Total votes: 113

keylessflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Who is your greatest influence as a flute player?

Post by keylessflute »

Hmmm … from the list, that would be Josie McDermott. Besides: Peter Horan and, to a lesser extent, John McKenna.
These days, I listen a lot to James Murray, James McDonagh and Colm O'Donnell. Which, of course, doesn't mean there are no other influences :wink:
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

From the list, Matt Molloy. Off list Cónal O'Gráda, Paul McGrattan, Harry Bradley
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Ah, so much has changed since 2008 :)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

At this stage I just know of who I remind people when they hear me play :D
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I dunno how much he's influenced my playing, but I'd (almost) sell my soul to sound like Paddy Carty. Gabe O'Sullivan and (his idol) Tommy Whelan also spring to mind.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
OldHag

Post by OldHag »

Conal O'Grada, should be listed :poke:
:D
Decisively him, finally some energy in flute playing. If I wish to play only with fingers I'd chosen Uilleann Pipe or whistle.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Leo MacNamara is definitely my biggest influence.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

keylessflute wrote:Hmmm … from the list, that would be Josie McDermott. Besides: Peter Horan and, to a lesser extent, John McKenna.
These days, I listen a lot to James Murray, James McDonagh and Colm O'Donnell. Which, of course, doesn't mean there are no other influences :wink:
Huge Peter Horan fan here. I've got the odd tracks here and there of Murray and McDonagh, and O'Donnell's "Farewell to Evening Dances". Do these three have any other flute recordings available, or are you just hanging out in the pubs in Sligo? And what about Gregory Daly?
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I'm still pretty new at flute, and have been playing it very seriously for no more than 6 months, although now I am spending a very large portion of time each day playing the flute... but I have played whistle for quite some time before ever playing a flute. So, I'd say my influences on flute playing aren't only flute players, but also whistle players, and even players of other instruments. I won't mention too many of them here, since it's a flute question. However, good players of any instrument, whether it be pipes, whistle, flute, fiddle, concertina, etc. all have an influence on my music playing in general, which in turn influences, at least to some extent, how I play any of my instruments.

For flute players, a few that influence me a lot are Matt Molloy, Sylvain Barou, and Kevin Crawford, in no particular order. Those are the three that I listen to several times each day, probably more than any other single musician, and each of their playing contributes majorly to the ideal sound I have in my mind that I would like to sound like. I am constantly listening carefully to their playing to decipher what they are doing and trying to learn how to bring aspects of their playing that I really like into my own playing. Also Jean Michel Veillon, as well as some aspects of McGoldrick's playing, are an influence as well. Then there are several other flute players that I also would count as influences, although not to the same degree as these, but still play a good part in where I draw influence from.

A lot of Brian Finnegan's playing also influences me, but I consider him to be primarily to be a large influence on my whistle playing. Of course, having started on whistle, a lot of aspects of my whistle playing do cross over to flute (although not all). That being said, Brendan Ring, who plays low whistle, has been a major influence on both my flute and low whistles playing, although he doesn't play flute, as far as I know. I discovered him a few months ago, and he's another one of those people I listen to very often, and try to draw a lot from his playing. And of course, Mary Bergin is another major whistling influence for me. I am mentioning these in addition to flute players, because really I draw a lot of inspiration from players of all instruments, and what I learn from them influences my playing or Irish Traditional music in general (Or Breton, or non-traditional music), which in turn influences my playing on any instrument, to some degree.

By the way, this is an interesting thread. I look forward to checking out many of the names mentioned here that I am unfamiliar with.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Thread resurrection, but no love for Jack Dolan? He may have been crazy, but the man played like a boss.
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I was surprised not to see Seamus Tansey and Fintan Vallely for the Trad tunes but would also add Alan Docherty and Mike McGoldrick for the modern tunes and also Davy Maguire, Harry Bradley, Brendan Mulholland and Gary Hastings.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

All of the choices are great; however, the person who has influenced me the most is my flute tutor, Tiff. She is the best. She really knows her music, has infinate patience and dosen't look anything like the picture on her post. :D
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Thread resurrection, but no love for Jack Dolan? He may have been crazy, but the man played like a boss." madmanwithawhistle.

Tell me more. Found some music of Jack here http://www.lafferty.ca/files/flute-geez ... dolan2.mp3 and I liked it a lot. In what way was Jack crazy and what became of him? I certainly like his style of playing. Hearing Pat Mahon play live has been my biggest influence and hearing two brothers playing some tunes at Miltown on Bb flat flute and whistle. never found out who they were.
janmarie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by janmarie »

Turlach Boylan
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

The poll was necessarily narrow so here's my own list:

Zamfir (pan pipes), Galway, Pavarotti, Lesley Garrett (soprano), Andrea Bocelli,
Russell Watson (tenor), Matt Malloy, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Puccini, Beethoven,
Massenet, Schumann, Hoagy Carmichael, Michael Flatley, Chris Norman, Rieu,
(violinist, conductor, Strauss expert), Dvorak, Franck, Ennio Morricone, Bach,
to name a few ...

Best wishes,

K.