Going to Ireland - suggestions/recommendations

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bayswater
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Going to Ireland - suggestions/recommendations

Post by bayswater »

Hi all,

On Wednesday I'm going on a 10-day holiday to Ireland :-) I'm planning on bringing my flute although I've never actually played in a session (not many play irish music where I live :-/ ). I was wondering if you guys know of any beginner/intermediate sessions that I could try going to? Or perhaps some tutor who offers lessons to people coming in from the street... (a bit short notice, I know :-))?

Any recommendations are more than welcome - also on destinations worth visiting. We're staying the first couple of nights in Dublin, then rent a car and plan to tour/see as much as we can. I hope to catch as much music as I can :-)

Best wishes,
Brian
Flutered
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flutered »

look up www.thesession.org for a list of sessions, though lots are missing I would think. If it's a public session as opposed to a 'paid session', then just sit near for a while and listen. Take advantage of a break and introduce yourself and you'll almost certainly be asked to play a tune or two. Most will do their best to join in - try not to start at too fast a tempo!
If it's a paid session where the musicans are paid to turn up regularly and play tunes, usually for tourists .. this will probably not suit your needs. Have fun!
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

Where did Cocusflute's reply go? :-? :boggle:

West is Best as they say and I'd say take Cocusflute's advice and stay around Clare. I think concerning to ITM is the most worthy place to be. It would be even better if you could fly to Shannon airport instead.

About tutors, in Ennis I'd recommend John Rynne and people talk well of Kevin Ryan. Eamon Cotter lives next to Ennis, in Kilmaley. And if you go to Miltown Malbay, you shouldn't miss the chance to have some lessons with Bríd O'Donoghue, one of the finest musicians in Ireland, the thing is that she just doesn't seek the limelight and many people may not give her the right value she deserves.

I have their phone numbers, so if you are interested PM me.
cocusflute

My response

Post by cocusflute »

Sorry Romulo, I meant to send a PM but hit "reply" instead. I didn't want my phone number posted for the world to see. So I took it off and send the response as a PM.
In the original post I suggested some sessions that are friendlier and more welcoming than the commercial sessions that are more easily found. There is always Doolin but that's fast and furious (and miked) and often burdened by visitors whacking guitars and bodhrans. Better, IMHO, is to find non-commercial sessions where musicians don't get paid and instead get together for the craic.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Romulo

Re: My response

Post by Romulo »

cocusflute wrote:Sorry Romulo, I meant to send a PM but hit "reply" instead. I didn't want my phone number posted for the world to see.
No problem, I imagined it was that, I was just being fussy :P
I was just thinking about writing down the phone so I too could pester you in the future :D
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks for all your input, guys. I appreciate it. I have written Brid an email - maybe I'm in luck and her schedule allows for a lesson. Oh, and a PM for you, cocusflute.

Thanks again!

/Brian
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Plenty of music in Clare. If you have a car then we found a very good, laid back, clean and cheap hostel in Doolin itself, "The Riverside H" 15 euros a bed, free showers & tea, washing machine. Doolin itself is a tourist trap with paid gigs, miked sessions etc., but handy as a base, surrounded by very nice countryside. Convenient for sessions in Lisdoonvarna, Liscannor, Ennystimon, etc. Miltown Malbay is 35 mins drive.

Also Down in Kerry, lots of music in and around Dingle, Dun Quinn, Ballyferriter, lots to look at, the Blaskets, wild weather, plenty of opportunities to listen or play, as in Clare.

We spent 11 days in a tent at the Doolin hostel and it was great, we'll go back next year
talasiga

Re: Going to Ireland - suggestions/recommendations

Post by talasiga »

bayswater wrote:......
I was wondering if you guys know of any beginner/intermediate sessions that I could try going to? ......
Why does it so often end up sounding like school? Is it a tribal thing?

I mean, why not just turn up at any session and see how you FEEL about whats going down? Be daring on your holiday.
Trust your judgment in situ. The worst that could happen is you are mistaken about something and earn yourself some Hibernian scowls. Why deprive yourself of that specialty?

Its alright to be embarassed sometimes when holidaying in a foreign land.
Why all the angst about achieving the unenviable heights of always being correct and always doing the right thing in the right way at the right time with the right people? Let go a little and make left turns sometimes.

It is often the way that when we feel LEFT out that the muses let us in.

(Sorry about the lecture - I have been eating figs again .....)
:o
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

I luuuuuurve figs, especially fresh ones. Off to my parents' in Spain for a week next Tuesday! No music save my own, but hopefully loads of figs!!!!! They have trees. And wine. And sun - though we have finally had a bit of that this last week instead of the solid rain Britain has endured since April. No ITM to speak of in Andalucia, but I have got to practice hard for a giglet I've got after I get home. I'm doing a half-hour programme of unaccompanied Welsh material on assorted flutes as a support act to Chris Wilkes's Diskan in Dolgellau on August 24th - anyone in the area (Mid/North Wales) fancy it? More info here if anyone wants to know.... http://www.tysiamas.com/welcome.cfm, or on Diskan's site http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/diskan/index.htm.

BTW Talasiga, what do figs do to you? :boggle: :-?

On topic, I went to some good sessions in the Sligo area a few years back (my first ever trip to Ireland!) - can't remember which nights, but there's a good local one with lots of "old boys" in Easky and several in Sligo town - went to one good one with generally younger players in a rather ghastly modern open-plan bar, but the craic was good. Also try Gorteen. My limited session experience in Ireland is that people (i.e. other musicians) are generally very welcoming - even in spite of my very English accent!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

Actually, to continue this, I'm off to Louisburgh, Co, Mayo in October. I couldn't give a fiddler's f$&^ if I can keep up, I just want to hear good tunes. Where does a person go for that (Westport, I know, I'm wanting a little closer).

Cheers,

J
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

Super, thanks. :(
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Thanks for posting, Josh, I've been meaning to getting organized to ask about this. We have a family wedding to attend near New Year's in Kilfenora and I'm hoping to find some music too. The whole extended family will rent some cottages in Doolin. Unfortunately the Irishman my niece is marrying doesn't do any traditional music. But I'll bring my flute and my daughter will bring her fiddle.

For me the greatest thing would be to connect with some local musicians, either in a session or a lesson. Or even a long walk or shared meal with some conversation. I really enjoy finding some common enthusiasm to share. Guess that's harder to find if you feel you're an obvious tourist.

Jennie