Want to buy a low d flute. Need help.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MiniTrotsky
antispam: No

Want to buy a low d flute. Need help.

Post by MiniTrotsky »

Hi, I am an 18 year old student who lives in Norway. Last summer I heard the low d flute for the first time in my life, and since then I have wanted to learn to play the low d flute. I do not have any experience with flutes, but I have played guitar for several years. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, all though not to expensive flute, for me. I have already found a site that sells lots of flutes, and if someone could pinpoint me in the right direction, I would be very happy.

http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/instruments/index.html

The only thing I remember that the street musician told me, was that the flute had a polymer body. It made a more woodier sound according to him. Hope that someone can help me :)
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Want to buy a low d flute. Need help.

Post by Sillydill »

Dear MiniTrotsky,

The Dixon DX030 - Three-Section Flute is what you want:

NOT the 1 or 2 piece flutes.

If the 3 piece Dixon is beyond your means, then get a Tipple here: http://dougsflutes.googlepages.com/

Best of Luck and Good Yule!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I second what Silly said. Get the Dixon three piece pictured, or if you want the least expensive option get a Tipple or perhaps a Billy Miller bamboo (both are less than $100).

Cheers,

jason
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I'd like to know what a MiniTrotsky is....

Is that somebody who has to worry about a MiniStalin?
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Julia:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just figured out why your avatar is a donkey - good one!!! Something to do with a half-mile race, I presume...

As far as the original thread here, I would actually recommend the Tipple over the Dixon, having owned both...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Julia Delaney wrote:I'd like to know what a MiniTrotsky is....
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

As for flutes in this range I also recommend the Tipple.

More bang for you buck.

Get a three piece with the wedge.

Julia Delaney wrote:I'd like to know what a MiniTrotsky is....

Is that somebody who has to worry about a MiniStalin?

There already was one... more along the lines of Dr. Evil's MiniMe though.

Nicholas Yezhov

Way more dangerous too as I recall.

Or it might be this guy, although most likely classified as a Red Dwarf.

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

Apart from the flute recommendations, it all sounds like Bolshevism to me.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

:D I own a Dixon as well as a Tipple.
I dearly love my tipple with the wedge. . .BUT
the man said he fell in love with the sound of a conic delrin flute, possible a Seery, mebbe an M&E, possibly a Copley, or even a Dixon.
My Tipple is a honkin' stokin' flute, but does not have the same tonal qualities as Low 'D'
conic.

My two cents worth.
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
MiniTrotsky

Post by MiniTrotsky »

Thanks for the help everyone. The flute actually looks very similar to the flute a saw and heard. Just wondering about one more thing. What is the difference between a whistle and a flute?

As for my name. A MiniTrotsky is a nickname I got a long time ago. At school we were learning about the Russian revolution, and the teacher was asking a lot of questions. Since my mom and dad are very interested in politics I had picked up a few facts. My teacher was a big fan of Trotsky, and since I could answer a lot of his questions about Trotsky, my teacher and the other pupils named me MiniTrotsky. And yes, we are very afraid of MiniStalin. :D
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

MiniTrotsky wrote:Thanks for the help everyone. The flute actually looks very similar to the flute a saw and heard. Just wondering about one more thing. What is the difference between a whistle and a flute?

As for my name. A MiniTrotsky is a nickname I got a long time ago. At school we were learning about the Russian revolution, and the teacher was asking a lot of questions. Since my mom and dad are very interested in politics I had picked up a few facts. My teacher was a big fan of Trotsky, and since I could answer a lot of his questions about Trotsky, my teacher and the other pupils named me MiniTrotsky. And yes, we are very afraid of MiniStalin. :D
There is some misunderstanding about the difference between flutes and whistles. Whistles are a group of flute-like instruments where the sound is produced by blowing through a fixed fipple or blowhole. Examples of whistles are penny whistles, recorders, and Native American flutes. One advantage of whistles is that they are easy to play, in that a tone can be produced by merely blowing in the mouthpiece. A serious disadvantage of whistles is that it is difficult for the player to modify the quality of the tone produced, which is often an airy, thin tone. Of course, if the whistle maker is expert, the sound produced can be quite acceptable, but in my opinion, not as good as the flute tone. Flutes, on the other hand, are generally side-blown (transverse) instruments. With flutes there is no fixed fipple but only an opening where a column of air from the mouth is split, with part of the column of air diving down into the flute to set up a standing wave that produces the tone. The quality of the tone is controlled by the shape and angle of the blowhole and by the embouchure, the position of the player’s mouth and lips. Once this simple technique is mastered, flutes are capable of producing a wide range of nuances and subtleties of tone that are impossible with a whistle. The transverse flute allows the performer a greater potential in terms of sound dynamics and expressiveness.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Once this simple technique is mastered, flutes are capable of producing a wide range of nuances and subtleties of tone that are impossible with a whistle.
Simple for you, Doug. Most of the rest of us are still works in progress. :D
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

MikeS wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:Once this simple technique is mastered, flutes are capable of producing a wide range of nuances and subtleties of tone that are impossible with a whistle.
Simple for you, Doug. Most of the rest of us are still works in progress. :D
I didn't mean to imply that mastery was a easy, but flute playing is easy for one who has mastered the process. Just watch a video of a good player. It looks effortless, like the flute is playing itself.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I can vouch for my Dixon conical 3-piece, great option for the price. Doesn't look or sound too out of place in a session, packs up very small, and you never need to sell it (there's always an occasion when you need a flute for hiking and camping). However, you can't beat Tipple for price - if my last trip to Norway is anything to go by, no more than the price of a round of beers!

I've only tried a couple of Tipples belonging to other people so I can't make an informed comparison. My gut feeling is I prefer the Dixon conical (conical not cylindrical) but it's a bit more expensive.

Then again, if you prefer a 100 year old blackwood 8 key flute, there might be one over on the instrument exchange... (plug) :wink: (but you might want polymer with your climate)
Mark
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh, yes, in addition to what I mentioned in my pm, I can recommend the German flute Mark is selling - good value for money. I overhauled it for him (but don't have any financial interest in him selling it) and it is a very good flute of its kind.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads