Info about Fifes !

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steph7
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Info about Fifes !

Post by Steph7 »

Hi, has anyone experience with this kind of Fife? I'm going to buy one of them but I would to know if they're good and wich kind of wood choose.
http://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/epages/ ... s/Bb_Fifes

Thanks!
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: Info about Fifes !

Post by sfmans »

I've owned a couple of Angus fifes, and my main fife at the moment is one of his stainless steel D. The stainless steel one is really good, nice & in tune across the whole range, pleasingly loud, and not tiring to play over long periods.

As to which wood ... depends what you want really. I'd personally always go for a heavy dark wood like a blackwood or a rosewood; other people visually prefer the lighter coloured woods. Also personally I prefer the ferruled ones to the Renaissance style, although if you're looking to use the lowest octave a lot the ferruled ones take a good strong embouchure to bring the low E and D up to pitch (they sing across the rest of the range, definitely designed for the full 3 octaves).

All in all, they're very good fifes, especially for the price.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I bought a Angus Fifes several years ago, possible the worst playing Fife Ive owned.
They look nice ... [Moderator edit]
I just call em as I see em
Do yourself a favor and get a fife from Ron Peeler.
I would consider Ron to be one of the best fife makers in the world today

http://www.peelerfifes.com/
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ben Shaffer wrote:I bought a Angus Fifes several years ago, possible the worst playing Fife Ive owned.
They look nice, but I think would be better used for firewood.
Ben, I'm afraid you're running afoul of our Pepsi Rule. Please explain the reasons for your assessment of the instrument, or we'll have to remove your post. Thanks, - Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

OK no problem.
I was upset to say the least having just paid close to $100 for this Instrument
The intonation on the Angus fife was very poor.
I believe it is the responsibility of any maker to test and insure that EVERY product they send out plays well.... this one did not.
This played about as well as the Fifes one can purchase for Children at Historical sites.
Interesting to note you won't see many if any Fifers in New England using this brand Fife
Spend your money wisely and buy fifes from the following Makers :poke:
Ron Peeler
Skip Healy
Ed Boyle ( model F woodwinds)
Ralph Sweet
Last edited by Ben Shaffer on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

How do cooperman fife's rate?
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I have two fifes from Angus and I am happy with both. Yes they are cheaper than a Skip Healey or a Phil Bleazey or even the metal Sandner Fifes and I have had one of each over the years but they are what they are, shrill, noisy pipes with holes in and the C# fifes sound very well when played alongside a Lambeg Drum.

I personally don't see the point in paying a small fortune for a fife unless you are playing alongside other fifers in a Corps of Drums or Fife Choir. I have recently purchased the first ever keyless Bb flute made by Miller Wicks N.I, which some will call a fife but it will only play up to high 'a' and it plays very well. ere's a couple of pics of my fifes if interested.
https://imgur.com/a/HYfz2#8
https://imgur.com/a/Mukyl#2
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

You don't need to pay a fortune for a great Fife.
Ron Peelers fifes are not much more than a $100.
Cooperman Fifes are great Starter level Fifes, you won't go wrong
Skip Healy and Sweetheart Fifes are excellent
Ralph and Walt make nice entry level Fifes as well as professional models used by the best Fifers
Many of the best F&D drum Corps use Skip Healy Fifes. Somewhat expensive, but well worth it
Just my 2 cents, but I believe most Fifers on the forum would agree with my comments :thumbsup:
dangus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dangus »

Was the Angus Fife bought directly from him, or 2nd hand from Ebay or elsewhere
Angus Fifes have provided 100s of musicians with their instruments all over the world from Drum Corps to Trad musicians to Jazz musicians with great feedback. They are played and endorsed by Trad Irish musicians and Fife and Drum marching bands in Ireland.
If someone buys an instrument directly from Angus and is not happy, or wants adjustments made, they should notify the maker and send it back. If the instrument has been bought 2nd hand from ebay or elsewhere, there is a good chance it may have been abused , or tampered with.
www.woodenfifes.co.uk
Last edited by dangus on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Didn't you have an Olwell cylindrical flute on the way Timber?
Monzambano

Post by Monzambano »

I bought an Angus fife several years ago and continue to enjoy playing it - it is a forgiving instrument, compared to others I have, and I like the sound.
GordonR

Post by GordonR »

I have an Angus fife in D - oak. I'm very happy with it - strong sound and nice tone.
And yes, it looks nice too.
FifeMatster

Post by FifeMatster »

Over the years of fifing in a re-enacting Fife and Drum Corps and playing in concerts etc. I rate Angus Fifes to be my preference. I have 10 fifes at present ( I know – I’m a sad person) and my B flat Angus Blackwood is the favourite. I find them to be the best of all the fifes I have tried and/or bought. The tone and intonation seem to suit me well. The fife which I like the least is a Miller Browne (no longer made but available on EBAY). I find it quite hard to play. However the most disappointing fife I have is a Walter Sweet “Enfield”. It’s beautifully crafted, intonation is fine with plenty of volume, but it just does not suit me, it just sounds “windy”. Although I don’t own a Cooperman fife, any fifer I have met in Spain or France always prefers the sound of the Angus fife I have and are not really impressed with the ones they own. Unfortunately, another relevant point is if you’re buying a fife in the UK, you will have to pay a hefty import duty from USA!
Gary Lynch

Post by Gary Lynch »

I have 2 Angus fifes, an Ash C# and a Cherry D. I am very impressed with both of them. I find them responsive, great tone and the tuning is spot on. I really enjoy solo playing on the C# and the D is very handy for group/ensemble playing. I would be happy to recommend them to anyone. Indeed I was offered money for the D fife on one outing from a flute player who was equally impressed with it. I wouldn't part with it!

Gary.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I guess this is what is known in the internet world as Reputation Management.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.