Adding bellows

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
mandolin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Adding bellows

Post by mandolin »

I recently bought a John Walsh set of mouthblown Scottish Small Pipes on Ebay. I am very happy with them, but I would like to add bellows. Does this present any particular complications?

Are blowpipe/bellows sockets made to a standard size?

Can anyone recommend any good, affordable bellows (i.e. ones that do the job well, but don't necessarily look fancy)?

I notice that Walsh bellows go for about $450 Canadian - more than I am willing to spend at the moment .

What does anyone reckon to these? Are they worth bothering with? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=015
(I've tried searching the web for the name and there's no website - the only hits are on retail sites, so they sound dubious to me).

I look forward to some informed replies.
wgority

Post by wgority »

They look okay at first blush, but based on looking at the seller's other items I would guess that they are manufactured in the Indian sub-continent. You can impute whatever meaning you wish to that.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

You'll probably need a new bag with a blowpipe in the correct place. I play bellows blown smallpipes and uilleann pipes and have been experimenting with my various sets of bellows lately. My recommendation, if you are going to continue your pursuit, is to get the best bellows that you can afford. My piping is much better with a larger bellows that is very efficient, as I just am not working as hard. I have owned a set? of Michael Dow bellows and they are top notch. Pretty expensive, but in my opinion, worth it. Good luck (and keep at it. It can take some folks, like me, quite a while to get the hang of the bellows).
"Luck is important"
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

John Walsh sells an adapter to hook up to bellows.

Are the pipes tied onto a synthetic bag? My border pipes came with a synthetic bag and I found it to be a hindrance. A leather bag is more responsive to the bag control needed for good bellows technique. MacHarg and L&M bags are the most popular.

I got my bellows from Jim Schaefer. He made my stock and hose connectors too. Great craftsmanship, great service and great value. If you tell him how much you can spend he can probably sort a basic set-up for you.
mandolin

Post by mandolin »

Thanks for all your replies.
They look okay at first blush, but based on looking at the seller's other items I would guess that they are manufactured in the Indian sub-continent.
I was thinking the same. They were also selling several sets of what appeared to be Border pipes, advertised as "Northumbrian Lowland pipes" and "guaranteed handmade locally", which, given the price (c. £200), seemed very suspect. Also, despite being sold from Manchester, England, they were priced in US$ - A ploy to seduce unwary Americans, perhaps?
You'll probably need a new bag with a blowpipe in the correct place.
That's just the sort of thing I wanted to know. So it's not quite as simple as just unplugging the blowpipe and plugging in bellows, then? Is a different bag *essential* or *preferable*? Is flexible tubing a viable option to overcome the alignment issue? John Walsh's site doesn't mention anything about different types of bag for mouth- and bellows-blown pipes.
Are the pipes tied onto a synthetic bag?
Yes, these pipes are entirely from synthetic materials.

I will make enquiries to John Walsh (I have not yet had any direct dealings with him, as I bought my pipes second-hand) and Jim Schaefer. But, from the responses to my post, I think I might be better off trying to achieve some level of proficiency at playing mouth-blown. If, in a year or two, I still want to go bellows-blown, then I'll think about spending the money on making a proper job of the conversion, or perhaps buying a whole new set.

Thanks again.
Jose' Scotte' Este'

Sounds like you are getting some good technical advice here. I am no expert, but had a set of Sheperd smallpipes with a canmore bag, and I found that the blowpipe stock just wasn't in a good spot in the bag for attaching a connecting tube for bellows. I tried various goofy solutions, like using some of those plastic tubes bent at a 90 degree angle they sell for sprinkler systems. This sort of worked, but never really was comfortable. I don't think using a super-flexy tube and just running it up is going to do the trick. Again, my experience is that everything really needs to be set up properly to play well (just like with the GHB). If you are not comfortable and are fighting the instrument, then you are not going to play well. I am dealing with this now with a new full set of Irish pipes. Haven't got them set up correctly yet, and I just can't play as well (with my hands is a slightly funky position, bag not quite in the right spot under my arm....). Good luck.
"Luck is important"
tansy

Post by tansy »

I just staggered over here from the uilleann forum. I believe C J Dixon has reasonable bellows and a kit. If you switch to "Cauld wind" pipes wouldn't you need a different type of chanter reed? Seems like you would as that is the reason for the bellows- to have dry wind for the reed, but then again yours is a one ovtave pipe so it may not matter, I'd ask the maker.
I have a leather bag on my D set and a Nauga bag with a cloth cover on my C set, The leather I like alot but the nauga works just fine especially with the nice cover. Leather $135., nauga, I made three for $25..
Just ramblin, good luck in your endeavers. :)
shy the blond water
Jose' Scotte' Este'

I built CJ kit bellows. They came out pretty well, but follow the directions!! I didn't have a drill bit small enough to predrill the holes for the tacks that go around the edge of the bellows paddles, and I couldn't get the tacks to go in where I wanted them. Ended up looking pretty sloppy. Pre-drill the holes!!
"Luck is important"
tansy

Post by tansy »

good advice Jose, the tacks do want to wander, I used an ice pick as an awl, I ground it down to a sharper, thinner and slower tapper and tapped it in about 1/2 the length of the tacks, my second set I used ring shank bronze boat nails, they are more robust.
I have seen them put togather with small brass screws which looked nice.I glued mine before tacking with contact cement and I used McHarge's leather with a used womens leather skirt leather glued on the inside as he recomends.
I drew mine out from scratch, they turned out well, totaly functional and ancient looking but it was worrysome
shy the blond water
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

tansy wrote:If you switch to "Cauld wind" pipes wouldn't you need a different type of chanter reed? Seems like you would as that is the reason for the bellows- to have dry wind for the reed...
The Walsh pipes have plastic reeds so changing to bellows shouldn't necessitate a reed switch.