Great bagpiping and drumbeating skills

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
singforsam

Great bagpiping and drumbeating skills

Post by singforsam »

Been listening to this band that I stumbled upon while on Myspace a couple months back called The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. This song called "Mull of Kintyre" off their latest album "The Spirit of Glen" at http://www.myspace.com/spiritoftheglen and http://www.scotsdg.com/ is just sooo good. The sounds of the bagpipe and drums are so calming to me unlike most music out there nowadays. It takes me out of my element, which is something not much music out there can really do. Don't you agree?

Sam W
Fontana
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Depending on which direction you want to veer you may want to try a few CDs.

For more traditional pipes and drums (but still fresh and innovative) you'll want to check out bands like Field Marshal Montgomery Pipe Band or Simon Fraser University Pipe Band.

For more fusion there is the long standing bagpipe-rock group Wolfstone or more electronic related stuff like Martyn Bennett (RIP), Peatbog Fairies or Mark Saul.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's true that the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards have staked out a place in the pipe band world that is perhaps unique.
They are currently playing to sold-out theatres all over the USA.
They have a #1 hit single (albeit from 1972).
And, unlike many other bands which use the pipes in a "pop music" way, they are a solid competition band (grade 2).
And, unlike any other pipe band of their stature they are soldiers first, pipers and drummers second. They are tank crewmen who do their piping in whatever spare time they have.
I have one of their CDs (I can't remember the name) which has stuff which is admittedly schlocky such as music from movies (Titanic and Last Of The Mohicans), but also has solid piping (Steam Train To Mallaig).

Of course I agree that someone interested in pipe band music should check out the world's best pipe bands, Simon Fraser University, Field Marshal Montgomery, and Shotts and Dykehead to name three.
The best way, in my opinion, to introduce someone to pipe band music is to have them watch a bit of the World Pipe Band Championships on DVD. It's a delight to the ears and eyes to us pipe band junkies.
Björn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Björn »

Add the 78th Frasers to that list. Still the best band to hear in concert.
Baglady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Baglady »

The pipes and drums elicit strong emotion in most people who hear them, usually very positive or very negative. The pipes are my passion and that is why I play them.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes the 78th Fraser Highlanders had a fantastic showing at last year's World Pipe Band Championships, coming in 4th.

Over the last few years FMM, SFU, and Shotts have had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pretty much sewn up, leaving the other bands usually competing for 4th.

Having those three bands show up at a pipe band contest is like having Tiger Woods show up at a golf event- everybody else is competing to see who will be the top runner-up.

The 78th Frasers went in with 30 pipers!!! Amazing.
I was actually at the Worlds last year and saw quite a bit of the rain-drenched G1 contest. Get the DVD! It's great.

But what's with the 78th's kit? It's by far the least attractive in G1. First of all, the garish bright green and red tartan takes them a couple notches down from the other bands. But then it gets worse: their jackets don't work with the kilts, and their dull blue-green socks don't co-ordinate with either the kilt or the jacket. Then to top it off their drums are a horrid lime green which clashes with the kilts, the socks, and the jackets. You couldn't get a less co-ordinated look, if that was your goal.
Oh I didn't mention the tartan drone cords, a different tartan than their kilts.