Pictures of Your Pipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
mukade
antispam: No

Pictures of Your Pipes

Post by mukade »

Welcome to the picture thread on this corner of Chiff.

Please dangle your pipes in front of us and we shall drool and froth like rabid baboons sucking soap.

Mukade
Last edited by mukade on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
mukade

Post by mukade »

A new set of SSPs currently under construction.

It is a four-drone A/D combination set in ABW with amboyna burl mounts.
The sterling silver ferrules still have a protective paper covering.
More pics to come when it is completed.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

The burl is a nice touch....I don't think I've seen it used before. I thought your old lemonwood set of UPs was really stunning as well.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Flogging Jason wrote:The burl is a nice touch....I don't think I've seen it used before. I thought your old lemonwood set of UPs was really stunning as well.
The lemonwood set is leaving my service this weekend.

It is heading to a good home back in its birthplace, the USA.
Maybe you will have the honour of being in its presence one day. :D

Mukade
- Tony Mcmahon
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

These are my border pipes. The drones are by Robbie Greensitt of Heriot & Allan, laburnum with brass and imitation horn mounts. Chanter is a Garvie in mopane. The bellows are by C&F's own Jim (Schaefer).

mukade

Post by mukade »

That's a unique looking set.

Those imitation horn mounts really set off the wood, and the chalice drone tops look like many of the old, original sets of border pipes I have seen.

Mukade
- Tony Mcmahon
wemlass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My new Deerness Border Pipes

Post by wemlass »

Well.. as promised.. theis "G" set was made by Ian Corrigan of Deerness pipes in African blackwood, hawthorn, elm and silver. They weigh about three times as much as my Scottish smallpipes! Love the drone stops... very useful, as I couldn't reach the end of the low G drone to plug it anyway... handy to have that shut-off as well. The silver has come out a rather odd golden colour under the electric lights, but it should give you an idea.

If anyone wants any more detail pics, let me know.

Cheers
Caroline

AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Those Deerness pipes are gorgeous.

Where is the inlet on the bellows? I just see a metal plate where the inlet would normally be.

Thanks for the pics.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Those are really nice pipes.
They remind me of the design of a Michael Hubbert uilleann pipes set.

I am enjoying my Garvies now.
After many years on harder-reeded uillean pipes, the gentle pressure control is a challenge, but they take hardly any air.

Mukade
- Tony Mcmahon
mukade

Post by mukade »

Yes, I know I have a load of new pipes.
I pumped all the money from my uilleann sales back into other pipes.

This is another set of SSPs, or at least the wood, in bocote with blackwood mounts.
The wood has been resting for a while after boring, and Alec at Lauribeck pipes will start turning next week.
It should be an interesting looking set.

http://www.lauriebeck.co.uk/index.html

Mukade
- Tony Mcmahon
wemlass

Bellows air inlet

Post by wemlass »

"Where is the inlet on the bellows? I just see a metal plate where the inlet would normally be. "

The wood on the back of the bellows is specially shaped to fit around the body. Therefore, it is thick at both ends, with a semi-circular curve making it thinner in the middle on the body side (does that make sense?). The inlet is set into the REAR of this piece of wood that forms the body side of the bellows. This therefore pulls air from behind me. Ian bored out a channel in the wood to take the air through this and into the bellows. I do find that with my SSPs that have the intake in the conventional position on the front of the bellows, that I can end up with loose clothing (sleeves) being sucked into the air inlet, so I love this new arrangement :^)

Cheers
Caroline
wemlass

Bellows air inlet

Post by wemlass »

"Where is the inlet on the bellows? I just see a metal plate where the inlet would normally be. "

The wood on the back of the bellows is specially shaped to fit around the body. Therefore, it is thick at both ends, with a semi-circular curve making it thinner in the middle on the body side (does that make sense?). The inlet is set into the REAR of this piece of wood that forms the body side of the bellows. This therefore pulls air from behind me. Ian bored out a channel in the wood to take the air through this and into the bellows. I do find that with my SSPs that have the intake in the conventional position on the front of the bellows, that I can end up with loose clothing (sleeves) being sucked into the air inlet, so I love this new arrangement :^)

Cheers
Caroline
mukade

Post by mukade »

An update on my SSPs by Lauriebeck.
Alec made the drones this week and the results are superb.

The Bocote/blackwood combination is very nice.
It sits well with the brass ferrules and sleeves.

Alec used blackwood leftovers from other pipes for the mounts, so nothing was wasted.

Mukade
- Tony Mcmahon
mukade

Post by mukade »

Alec of Lauriebeck pipes sent a picture of the chanters he has just finished for me.
Again, they are in bocote with blackwood mounts.
He made the A chanter with an interesting two-part design.
Apparently there wasn't a decent piece of wood in stock to do the full chanter and it reduces the chances of warping.

Very nice.

Mukade
- Tony Mcmahon
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

My Zampogna :love:
Molise 25 con chiave a modificazione by Luigi Ricci, 2005

(Click on the pictures, & they'll get huge:)

My si B Biniou Kozh by Camac:

here's a detail

My Bechonnet, 16 pouce.

tete front detail

tete back detail showing (unique?) 4 drone arrangement

obligatory chanter shot

and drone top detail

My Rhodopes 'Kaba' Gaida, left, and a friend's (Macedonian?) gaida, right

last but not least, the whole kit and kaboodle

(L-R, instruments made in south asia are identified as being 'imitation')

GHB (Hardie, 1966), imitation Tulum, Zampogna Molisana, KabaGaida, Macedonian? gaida, imitation Grosserbock (sans horn), imitation medieval small pipes, imitation Gaita Gallega in Bb, Camac si B Biniou Kozh, imitation 18 pouce Cabrette, imitation Brien Boru chanter (12 key), Musette Bechonnet, Full concert set Gallagher Uilleann pipes, Gibson Fireside pipes in A