Re-arranging RMS Titantic' s deck-chairs...

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re-arranging RMS Titantic' s deck-chairs...

Post by CHasR »

Well in an effort to spark interest here, perhaps it would be interesting to find out WHERE and WHEN and WHAT FOR we actually play these 'other pipes' in public....

(spare us the usual GHB funeral, wedding, etc stories...)

wether gratis or profesionally(hahaha) is immaterial;

has anyone played, for example, Gaita for a school?
Biniou for a wedding? Duda every Easter? Egerlander Bock for Oktoberfest? NSP for English Country Dance?
Tulum for bellydancing? Pastoral pipes in a pasture? Sackpipa for Midsommvarka?

Fess-up, performance junkies! :)
Bart Wijnen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Bart Wijnen »

I played the Brueghel pipes and the Béchonnet at schools and music schools (once they gave me a cake for it, so at least I didn't starve :lol: ).
With two friends we sometimes play three-part bagpipe tunes in small theaters and there's a CD comming up with a 35 minute piece for 6 pipes, 6 hurdy-gurdies, piano, bass and percussion. We made a small tour with it (10 gigs), it was fun.

Used both pipes for busking, got a lot of lovely reactions (q: "Excuse me sir, are you from Scotland?" a: "A nee juh, kom gewoan út Liwwaden.")

The chabrette is used indoors, too difficult to expose yet.
Bart
MarkS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MarkS »

I played NSP for Colonial Days at my wife's church a couple of years ago. Had a nice chat with George Washington about the pipes and how it's possible (but rather unlikely) that NSP could have been known in late 18th century America. Ben Franklin, alas, was unavoidably detained; what a treat it would have been to hear his insights on pipes and piping!
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

MarkS wrote: Ben Franklin, alas, was unavoidably detained; what a treat it would have been to hear his insights on pipes and piping!
Ben probably was tied up with/by his odalisques.
Ralph Archbold is one TOUGH re-enactor to get out of character, Ive tried many times...he's had a busy 300th BD year...

i've yet to play any of the more exotic species (Bulgarian, Biniou, etc...) at anything more than multicultural school-shindigs (+ the PG); the Bechonnet was most welcome at an English country dance... once. On the other hand, Zampogna is finding itself a nice little niche :D
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

I played medieval music at the local Soc. for Creative Anachronism do, for the dancers as well as otherwise.
Other than that, for a while together with my partner, who is a puppetteer, we did shows with her inside the booth with the puppets, me outside with bagpipes, and about a dozen other instruments. Did that show at other places, too, not just schools.