German Marktsackpfeife

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Kavik
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am considering purchasing a "medieval" style German bagpipe and was hoping to get some information/reviews on a few makers. I noticed a few topic on the forum are bagpipe related to thought I would give it a shot.

German Marktsackpfeife

Post by Kavik »

Hello,

New member here looking for a bit of advice.

I am looking to purchase a German Marktsack bagpipe in the (hopefully) near future. I've been looking at various makers trying to find something that might fit the budget since bagpipes are not my main instrument. I'm hoping to find something with two drones and a chanter that uses the German recorder fingering (I think that's more or less 'standard' fingering on "medieval" type pipes).

I have been looking at a maker in the Patagonia area of Argentine - I believe he uses the tradename "Gaitas Argayl". He does offer a two drone "German Medieval bagpipe" which the drones can be either G maj. or A min. The wood used is walnut and the bag is gortex. In looking at a YT video of him playing it, it does seem to have a decent sound and the drones can actually be heard pretty good (some I've seen with some makers, you can barely hear the drone). The price is pretty reasonable as I'm in the northeast US, so shipping won't kill me from Argentina.

The issue I'm having is that he does not have a website, nor does he have a very 'robust' FB page, so I'm having problems in trying to find any reviews of his instruments.

Just wondering if anyone may be familiar with this maker and could give me any sort of impressions/reviews. I'm kind of hoping he's not on par with the dreaded 'Pakistani Pipes'.

If overall reviews are not favorable, can someone recommend other makers who offer something similar at a reasonable price?? I noticed one maker in Byeloruss (Alexander Khudolev), and a maker in Poland (Copernicus Bagpipes). There is also Folkfriends out of Germany, but not sure who makes their pipes (might be cheaper to try direct).

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Re: German Marktsackpfeife

Post by Seamie »

Hello,
Not sure if he makes that Exact pipe, but he makes near everything else German. Have you tried Andreas Roggë?
uilleann-pipes.de
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

I have no clue about German Marktsackpfeifen apart from hating them:-) but I have some musician friends who play and build them. As you can tell, they are quite popular here in Germany. One young maker that I know personally is Christian Sparfeldt of "Saltatio Mortis" fame: https://www.cs-bagpipes.com/en/ You could ask him and work your way from there. Andreas Rogge doesn't do Medieval pipes.
Christian
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Another route and seemingly popular choice for that genre ...
https://www.redpipes.eu/shop/en/catalog/medival-pipes/
/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Kavik
Tell us something.: I am considering purchasing a "medieval" style German bagpipe and was hoping to get some information/reviews on a few makers. I noticed a few topic on the forum are bagpipe related to thought I would give it a shot.

Post by Kavik »

Thanks, all!

I'll check some of these out.