Garvie Session pipes swap for Bellows pipes?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
ChrisCracknell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Garvie Session pipes swap for Bellows pipes?

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Hi, a refugee from the flute board here, though I also play pipes. I have and play GHB, Scottish Smallpipes and a German Schäfferpfeife. I also own a rarely played set of Garvie Session pipes which are lovely, but they get neglected due to time issues. It would simplify my life and playing if I could move to a bellows blown border pipe, preferrably sharing the bellows (Hope? I've had them a while ...) with my existing smallpipes and Schäferpfeife. The bellows currently offer a socket for a conical wooden plug attachment to the pipes.

Can anyone recommend how best to go about this? I am really out of touch with current makers of border pipes and available pre-owned pipes. What would be a good match in quality to the Garvie pipes? And is it realistic to try and see if anyone out there is interested in a swap? Or should I be looking at sell and buy separately? Or sell and buy new? What would be a typical price for the session pipes? It has two misture trap tubes and currently working reeds.

(Apart from the chanter reeds, I am completely setup using plastic reeds. Given that I do not play any single set that often this has made more sense for me.)