Looking for BAGPIPE

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
hayi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Musical instrument lover Musical producer and composer , Loves to play in nature
Would like to consult regarding the purchase of bagpipe

Looking for BAGPIPE

Post by hayi »

Hello I'm looking for
MEDIEVAL BAGPIPE
Or BAGPIPE ETHNIC another kind
With 1-2 drones
Or 3
for starters
Price ranges $ 300- $ 400
Is there a good cheap manufacturer for buying online. ? Thanks...
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Looking for BAGPIPE

Post by plunk111 »

I'm selling a set of border pipes on the UIE...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
hayi
Tell us something.: Musical instrument lover Musical producer and composer , Loves to play in nature

Post by hayi »

Hi , thanks for the kind suggestion
I less like the sound of border pipes
I'm looking for
In style
More of in MEDIEVAL BAGPIPE
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Just a heads' up in general... with the whole bagpipe family of instruments, you generally want to steer away from "cheap manufacturers." Specifically mid-east made instruments. It's been reported time and time again that they simply don't function properly, have leaky bags, are impossible to get fully in tune, have the finger holes drilled incorrectly so some notes are not correct, and any number of other problems.

There is a maker of medieval-style bagpipes in Poland named Dariusz Kubicki, who sells under the business name Copernicus Bagpipes.
He seems to have a lot of good reviews on etsy. The medieval bagpipes with drones run about $400 to $500.
Here's a video of him playing one of his medieval smallpipe sets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8yZuHoFQ8

I understand there are some good makers of medieval-style bagpipes in Germany. Unfortunately their websites seem to all be in German, and the little German I learned years ago is extremely rusty now.

At the higher end, pricing will be more in the range of $1,200 to $2,000+.
In the US there is Richard Keane, RK Bagpipes. He makes a medieval/renaissance type bagpipe with tunable drones.

In the UK there is Julian Goodacre, who makes a set that he calls the English great pipe, as well as some others.

It's also good to be aware that these medieval-style pipes are really modern reconstructions based on the appearance of instruments in historical illustrations.
It's hard to say exactly what the original instruments sounded like, since there is no direct continuity between those instruments and the ones being made today.
hayi

Post by hayi »

Hi thanks for the suggestion

I might be able to wait and pay more
For BAGPIPE custom
I'm looking for European products
But the construction is interesting.

https://larkinthemorning.com/products/b ... 2878116563

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253601806220?_ ... BMqpKD6rNf

BAGPIPE
With wider possibilities
That more types of music can be played.
Something more directional
Chromatic scale
There are more options

That it is possible to combine minor and major

Does anyone know who builds such a thing
Last edited by hayi on Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

That ebay listing is for a mid-east made item. And the other one looks like something from the same manufacturer. So you would likely run into the issues I mentioned above.
It's better to go with something from a reputable pipe maker, even if you have to spend more or wait some time for the pipes to be made.

I've been to that particular shop in your first link, located in California.
While they have decent stringed instruments and whistles, the bagpipes they sell 'off the shelf' are hit or miss.
The "Zampogna Neapolitan" that they sell appears to be from a reputable maker, but the cost is much higher than the price range that you mentioned earlier.

If you are looking for something resembling chromatic scale, you could have a set of uilleann pipes made with a fully keyed chanter.
However, this would also be well above your quoted price range.
Also, the tuning of the uilleann chanter uses a form of just intonation designed to blend in with the drones. So a number of the notes would be tuned differently from an equal temperament instrument, and would not work musically when trying to play in different keys along with other instruments, such as orchestral backing.
If you wanted to be able to play in any key in tune with conventional instruments, then you would need to get the chanter made specifically using equal temperament.
But then you wouldn't be able to play it with the drones because of dissonance.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

As RenaissanceGuy has already mentioned, you will not find anything playable in the price range of 300-400 $ - and you should definitely stay away from cheap bagpipes made in Pakistan.
It would be helpful to know a bit more of what exactly you want to play, there are many different bagpipes but only few of them seem to meet your requirements.
A bagpipe that offers the possibility of playing major and minor scales on the same fundamental would be the German Schäferpfeife or the French Cornemuse du centre. Technically they are identical, the difference is only in the set-up, while the Schäferpfeife has two drones in one common stock pointing forward, the Cornemuse has the small drone parallel to the chanter and the bass drone over the player's shoulder. Both offer a mostly chromatic range (only the diminished second is missing) of 1 1/2 octaves.
Another instrument that has a nearly complete chromatic range would be the Bulgarian gaida but this is very special, you'll probably not find it suitable for what you intend to play (although it is definitely closer to "real" medieval bagpipes than any of the reconstructions). The gaida requires a very elaborate playing technique, I found myself unable to figure it out without the help of a competent teacher.
hayi

Post by hayi »

thank you very much for
The information

RenaissanceGuy
MichaelLoos

It helps a lot
I understand
But from what I hear (just hearing I'm not sure)
MEDIEVAL PIPE
"GERAM"
Sounds like it has a MINOR as well
More chromatic.?

Which is more suitable for modern music.

Or I'm wrong

That's why I'm interested in it

MichaelLoos
I had Kaba Gaida I sold it Because
I did not like so much the sound
I know there is also a DJURA that is different
But DJURA sounds interesting.
True the game in it is not easy
It's very different.
Last edited by hayi on Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Google search has given me no results for Medieval pipe "GERAM" - I have no idea what this might be, can you provide a link?
I should have been more precise, the Kaba Gaida is basically only suitable for the music of the Rhodope mountains where it comes from - the sound is magic but it is very limited in its possibilities.
The Djura Gaida is a lot more versatile but also limited to a range of a ninth, it does not overblow.
hayi

Post by hayi »

I found
this is
https://axbagpipe.com/wp-content/upload ... ck_eng.jpg

Maybe I can ask Someone who builds
That will add holes
a #
d #
Then it was more chromatic

i have Chinese HULUSI that I have more fun to play with is more chromatic play for me and you can also play ethnic music with it
Both half finger and finger are possible #
In a way also with the change of position of fingers
Need to learn it is not easy for everyone but it is possible

This is a video I playing
Chromatic on hulusi
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tbq7Vg ... sp=sharing
my hulusi
It's G scale
The main pipe plays
I start from the lowest to the highest
d low -e - f # -a- g -b- d - high
e open
It's just a normal thimble
With a finger or half-finger or position finger change
possible
f - G # -c -c # - a # -
The holes are large and it is comfortable to play with.
Last edited by hayi on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

This "medieval" bagpipe has been developed in the East of Germany in the 1970ies and is very popular among pseudo-medieval musicians. It is more aptly named "Marktsackpfeife", referring to the medieval-style markets and fairs where it is usually heard.
Its musical possibilities are very limited, it allows you to play dorian and aeolian scales in A. It is a very common misconception that you could also play it in G major - it is not possible to tune the scale of a bagpipe to two neighbouring tones. If it sounds good in A, it will sound bad in G and vice versa. Some maker undergo a compromise with the effect that both scales sound equally bad.
One way to overcome these imperfections is to drill a thumb hole for the bottom hand, giving C#. A well made chanter (of which there are not many) should play high G# with all the front holes open, so then you'd have a major scale on A.
Chanters have been made with double holes for A/A# and D/D# but these are very uncomfortable to play (tried it myself, know what I'm talking about).
It is however possible to make a chanter with the same volume as the "medieval" ones with French bagpipe fingering, which means you have all semitones (except for A#) available plus the ability to overblow three or four tones into the high octave.
Bagpipe finger holes are generally smaller than on flutes, also the playing position makes half-holing more difficult.
hayi

Post by hayi »

Thanks for the response .
The fingering of borderpipes
Also allows chromatic playing?
Or it is similar to
Scottish BAGPIPE?

Thanks