What type of pipes are in this song?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Narzog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

What type of pipes are in this song?

Post by Narzog »

Hewy guys. Merry Christmas to any other Christmas celebrators. We had the Josh Groban Christmas album playing in the living room, and I noticed that in the Little Drummer boy, theres some pipes that sound super nice. So now I'm curious. What type of pipes are these? This is one of my fav types of bagpipe sound.

Heres a link, timestamped
https://youtu.be/0e17FzgOacE?t=121
aphillips
Tell us something.: I've gone down many rabbit holes starting with whistles and continuing with many different kinds of bagpipes. I founded and run the 30 musician ensemble Folk Orchestra Santa Barbara.

Re: What type of pipes are in this song?

Post by aphillips »

I'm pretty sure that is a flat set of uilleann pipes in B - played mostly up in the second octave.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I can't hear the pipes at all, in that link.

But yes the tune is in the key of E Major at that point so the tonic of the tune would be, on a B uilleann chanter, the note that's G on a Concert D uilleann chanter. I took out my B whistle and played along just fine.

But a B "flat set" couldn't play the tune up an octave (using the note that would be 2nd octave G on a D Concert chanter as the tonic) because then the tune goes up to F in the 3rd octave (reckoned on a D Concert chanter).

That is of course is the pipes are playing the tune, they could be doing any sort of part. I can't hear them.

We have to keep in mind that in a recording studio they could move any sort of bagpipe to any pitch or key they want.

I had a studio gig where they wanted me to play the Hawai'i Five-O theme twice, once in G and once in A, on the uilleann pipes.

I played it in G twice and they electronically moved the second playing up a full step.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

They come in at 2:02, but arent super loud. I'm at least pretty sure those are a bagpipe, based on the ornamentation style. And they sound more bagpipe than not bagpipe haha. But yes you are totally right they could key change and adjust the tone and stuff in a studio setting so it might be impossible to know what they actually sound like pre studio.
Glenarley
Tell us something.: My family has been making pipes and reeds for over 25 years both Uillean and GHB. I am being asked to share pass on information on to other pipers in this open environment.

Post by Glenarley »

Synth

Watch the making of the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdh1rMslaDk

When you cannot hear the grace notes and no credits to a known piper you can be pretty sure a synth was involved.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

pancelticpiper wrote:I can't hear the pipes at all, in that link.
That's strange. Listening to it on my laptop, the pipes were really loud in the mix. Definitely quite prominent. At first I thought they sounded like lowland pipes, but the ornamentation seemed almost like a cross between what you'd get on uilleann pipes and what you might have on lowland pipes. Having said which, I was convinced that, at one point, there was another pipes track, doubling an octave below, so maybe there are two pipers somewhere in there. It's a bit of a mushy mix, so it's not too easy to hear everything that's going on.

Or synth, of course ...
Narzog

Post by Narzog »

it always makes me sad when I figure out somethign was virtual instrument and not the real thing.

On the note of them being "synth" it was probobly a virtual imitation of an assorted bagpipe. Like virtual Uilleann pipes or something.