On ebay: bagpipe parts...

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

On ebay: bagpipe parts...

Post by lordofthestrings »

Stumbled upon these, thought someone might be interested.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Yes it was an incomplete 2 drone 'Molise' 25 with 2 ciaramelle, pre WWII.
The bidding war got way out of hand 15 minutes before deadline.
just PRAY PRAY PRAY the winner dosent put em in some f@ckin museum. :moreevil: :moreevil: :moreevil:
One could buy 4 brand new Zampogne for the final price.
:sniffle:
o well. enjoy. I'll still play them better than the buyer can . :D :) :) :)

...and that challenge stands.

Let me know when (hahahaha) you have them reeded + bagged hahahaha.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

ChasR, I will defer to your knowlege, as I don't know much about Italian pipes.
But as best as I could tell, this set was complete, with the two chanters and two drones and mainstock, and the bonus of a ton of reeds.
Well complete except the bag and blowpipe.
Then there looked to be two piffaros. But they are ciaramelle? Is that a mouthblown doublereed like a shawm or bombarde?
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

ok fair nuf here's my rundown from the pictures.

Manca (lg chanter) damage at the tenon. repaired profesisonally. Metal maybe bronze, not 100% copper. patina missing from metal indicates repair relatively recent. screw indicates there may be a split underneath. No telling the condition of chiave mechanism

Lg bordone: sizeable chip out of bell, cosmetic, repairable. Turning the chipped part inside during use prevents further damage.

Sm Bordone, not typical in Molise 25 type since WWII. Long staple indicates obviously, the drone was really sharp relative to the rest of the inst. Suspect also originality of sm bordone.

Ritta (Sm chanter) indicates the instrument was actively played for most of its life.

Blocco (headstock) well made. solid. holes are positioned exactly...this indicates a good maker. The blocco top, unseen, can exhibit moisture damage due usually to rubber bag.. Let's hope there was minimal if any, damage.

What that orangey-yellow crunchy looking thing was I dont know, OR that aluminum square with a cork circle in the centre (coaster, perhaps :P )

The Ciaramelle are matched, my guess is orangewood. Altho the holes arent seen, one can tell its a good make simply by the thinness of the bells. (Bad ciaramelle have really thick bells). I have a zampognaro friend here who has a ciaramella that looks, superficially, A LOT like the ones offered on ebay here. It was made approx 1910.

Now the reeds: 13 of them by my count, one stray GHB reed, probably bought from Wee Hoose of supplies in Chalfont in a vain effort to get the ciaramella working. Tough to tell, but I dont see any dedicated ciaramella reeds there. It'd be a task & 1/2 to get all of this in working order, let alone in tune.

IMO the Ciaramelle and the reeds are of equal value to the zamp parts.

The 'scorpion' chiave would be the best bet to ID the maker. Circolo della Zampogna would have to round up some old guys who might remember the maker.

The set's history is of particular interest to me. Until about 25-30 yrs ago, there was a zampognaro in Paulsboro, NJ, just over the river.
Before him, we're talking mid-late 1940's for the last active zampognari among South Philly Italians. Lansdale's in the north burbs, he mightve moved there, who knows. If so it'd be the link between the massive immigration of the late 1800's to today.

The buyer's in Italy, so they're going home. A great loss for Italian Americans.

anyway that's all I have to say except:
It' s a crime + a pity if they're never played again. :(