New SSPs

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
mukade
antispam: No

New SSPs

Post by mukade »

An early Christmas present arrived today - a new set of bellows-blown SSPs from Lauriebeck pipes. They are an A/D combo set made from bocote wood with blackwood mounts and brass fittings. I have another set of SSPs, but these pipes are truly special. The small attention to detail makes them a pleasure to hold and play. Apparently the maker, Alec, used to be turner for Niall bagpipes, so he knows his business.

The good

Cane reeds made by the pipe maker - anyone who can't hear the difference between cane and plastic on SSPs should listen again. They have a really sweet buzz and full sound that I have never heard from plastic reeds.

Leather bag - I prefer bags with some weight. They are easier to control and just feel nicer.

Brass-lined tuning pins - glass-smooth movements on the drones.

Sound - They played as steady as a rock straight out of the box.

The Maker - excellent customer service.

The bad

9pm curfew on playing. I won't be able to put these things down.
Other than that - nothing at all.

Alec was a pleasure to deal with and he bent over backwards to accommodate my requests. I have always been lucky to have dealt with pipe makers such as Alec and David Boisvert who love their work.

If you are in the market for some SSPs, I highly recommend that you give Alec's pipes a try.
http://www.lauriebeck.co.uk/index.html

He has some freaky pink pipes on the front page, but don't let that put you off. His pipes are up there with the best makers.

Enough talking- let the pipes speak for themselves.

I will try to get some sound files soon, but pictures and sounds never do justice to the real things.

Mukade
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kintailpipes »

Congratulations! They look beautiful.
lauriebeck
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lauriebeck »

Thanks for your kind comments Mr Mukade, glad you're happy with the set!!

My wife does the website (I haven't a clue!!) and her favourite set was the 'freaky pinks', which are made from Bloodwood. Perhaps I should change the intro picture to something a little more traditional?

Any comments from you guys about how it looks? I sometimes forget I even have the website and I'm sure people must be making quick opinions based on the look of the site. I'm no good at the marketing side so feedback would be helpful. Be kind though, I'm a sensitive wee soul! :wink:

Cheers

Alec
Life really is too short!!
lauriebeck
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lauriebeck »

Thanks for your kind comments Mr Mukade, glad you're happy with the set!!

My wife does the website (I haven't a clue!!) and her favourite set was the 'freaky pinks', which are made from Bloodwood. Perhaps I should change the intro picture to something a little more traditional?

Any comments from you guys about how it looks? I sometimes forget I even have the website and I'm sure people must be making quick opinions based on the look of the site. I'm no good at the marketing side so feedback would be helpful. Be kind though, I'm a sensitive wee soul! :wink:

Cheers

Alec
Life really is too short!!
mukade

Post by mukade »

Just a quick recording I made while messing around on the pipes.
This is a dodgy PC microphone - the real pipes sound much better.

I apologise to all you GHB players, but I'm not a highland piper.

test.mp3

Mukade