What type of Gaita is this?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Bagpipe Central
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Bagpipes of all types are our interest. Pipers from all over the world have added over a thousand listings of bagpipes and items associated with pipers to browse and search. Have a look for yourself and see how the site can help you learn more about your own pipes!

What type of Gaita is this?

Post by Bagpipe Central »

Hello everyone!

What make of Gaita is this? Can anyone tell from the pictures?

https://bagpipecentral.com/advert/gaita-gallega-en-do/

Thanks for your help.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: What type of Gaita is this?

Post by MichaelLoos »

By the shape of the turned parts I would say this is one of the cheaper gaitas that are being produced in great numbers by various makers - however, all of those that I've seen so far were very usable instruments. In earlier years these were equipped with rubber bags, fortunately this seems to be no longer the case.
Whatever the wood is - it is definitely not Pau ferro. It could be ash, which again would be very typical for this type of gaita.
Bagpipe Central
Tell us something.: Bagpipes of all types are our interest. Pipers from all over the world have added over a thousand listings of bagpipes and items associated with pipers to browse and search. Have a look for yourself and see how the site can help you learn more about your own pipes!

Thanks Michael, that’s good insight.

We are still unable to identify the maker, but this helps!
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Bagpipe Central wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:24 amWe are still unable to identify the maker, but this helps!
I doubt very much you can identify him - these gaitas all look more or less the same and have been made over the past 30 or more years.
AFAIK, one of those makers was Sans in Barcelona, before he started his own business.
I've heard the rumour that some of these were made by inmates of a penitentiary but I have no idea if this is the truth.
Bagpipe Central

Oh OK, that would make sense. That might conclude the search to determine a maker. Thanks for the info!