Solo tuning Harmonicas?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Mike-S
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a returning beginner having just ordered an expensive (to me) new whistle so I'm hoping to learn from the goldmine of experience on this forum.

Mike-S

Solo tuning Harmonicas?

Post by Mike-S »

Hi all,
I have a couple of Lee Oskar diatonics which I enjoy a lot but I'm not really into the blues and want to play more melodies. I'd like to play a chromatic but I'm in my 80's and don't think that I could cope with the slide and all the extras that it would bring. So, I'm now thinking of a solo tuned instrument such as the Seydel or Tombo. Has anyone any experience of these, good or bad ? I'd appreciate any comments. Thank you. Mike
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Solo tuning Harmonicas?

Post by fatmac »

Firstly, don't be put of by the button, it's really not that hard to use. :)

Yes, I have tried playing a slide less Tombo S50 chromatic, (note I say tried), I couldn't get on with it.

I only started playing when I retired at 65, (5 years ago), & we have some more senior to me, just starting out on the chromatic forum that I belong to, maybe take a look at who is learning to play on there - https://www.slidemeister.com/forums/index.php

To get a feel for chromatic, you could start with a valveless 10 or 12 hole, they are cheaper than the regular valved, & may well be all you need.
(Kmise, Swan, or Easttop are the better ones.)

Else start with a lower priced valved chromatic, such as a Seydel Deluxe, very good for the money.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mike-S
Tell us something.: I'm a returning beginner having just ordered an expensive (to me) new whistle so I'm hoping to learn from the goldmine of experience on this forum.

Mike-S

Re: Solo tuning Harmonicas?

Post by Mike-S »

Thanks for your reply Keith. I took your advice and ordered a Seydel Deluxe in C. I'm hoping that it'll be here tomorrw.
Mike