Irish Dancemaster accordions?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

yes, there was one shoulder strap. should there be more?
I have never touched an accordion before, so I really can not say much about the quality of this instrument. So far I like it, have played it quite a bit already. I like the sound, the tuning, and the looks too. Also the price: I payed about 750 Euro (accordion + shipping + local taxes), and I think that is a good price.
Next week an accordion-playing friend will try my new box, maybe he will be able to say more. He usually plays a Saltarelle and a Castagnari, so he can certainly compare.
My problem now: I would like to learn a tune with basses. So far I play tunes and basses separately, and it's difficult for me to get them together. But I would really need a good and easy tune to learn how to combine them in a "perfect" (lol) way. Any ideas?
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

Yes, there should be two straps Claudine, some people prefere two anyway

And if you keep going on at that rate, like you barely started and already want to play basses, you'll end up playing better than your man above :boggle:
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

lixnaw wrote:
And if you keep going on at that rate, like you barely started and already want to play basses, you'll end up playing better than your man above :boggle:
Wish and reality are 2 different things, unfortunately.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

lixnaw wrote:Yes, there should be two straps Claudine, some people prefere two anyway
It's down to personal preference, but I prefer two.

I recently tried playing with only one, and felt I was twisting my back to play - balancing the treble end on my left knee to stabilise it, and to give the bellows room to move past my left leg.

Most of my playing is done standing up, and for that two straps is a must.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Two straps might be easier than one when you are starting, and particularly with a fairly light box such as the one you have. OTOH ladies, being configured slightly differently, may find it easier to rest the accordion on the knee, in which case one strap is probably enough. (I say this not from personal experience but a friend of mine told me that certain aspects of her person restricted her choices regarding holding the box.)

As for basses - after playing for 2½ years I'm probably at the same point as you! But I've been making valiant efforts to master the things in recent months and I could send you a few pages from a book that might get you started - am sending you an e-mail. My advice would be to pick something dead simple in 2/4 or 3/4 time - not necessarily a trad tune, but something in which the melody falls on the main beats - and work on that alongside your efforts to master the right hand. Pick something in D to begin with - not G, since you'll find the absence of a C chord will restrict you in most G tunes.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Most people I know, self included, use just one strap. If I ever get good enough that I can consider playing box for gigs and dances and suchlike, I'm going to have to get used to using two straps because I hate sitting down when performing. (As a guitarist, I believe posing on stage is a VERY important consideration. :-)) But the box is much less stable that way, and it's not very nice to my hands either.

Re basses, one advantage of the C#/D is that the each pair of bass buttons play I and V chords in a particular key. If you're playing a melody in D (in simplest terms, staying on the inside row), you can produce a viable bass accompaniment just using the lower outer pair of buttons, which give you D and A chords. That's a start, anyway.

Anyway. Congratulations, and welcome to the dark side.
Stan

Post by Stan »

The new box blends in perfectly with
the new furniture, Luxidoc.
Looks like you'll be getting plenty of
help on this forum too..........
bohemian

Dancemaster

Post by bohemian »

I have been playing for a number of years..
1 row, 2 row, 2 1.2 row and 3 row

I use 1 strap

Which reeds did you specify for this accordion, I know that Michael has a few options.
claudine

Post by claudine »

I got the cheapest reeds, machine made.