Anyone play whistle in bluegrass / foik / country oldtime jams?

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Anyone play whistle in bluegrass / foik / country oldtime jams?

Post by learn2turn »

I've played mostly mandolin -- bluegrass, oldtime, folk for the last many years. One thing I like about it is bluegrass and related folky country styles is it seems to be the easiest generate to find a jam the intermediate level. So, I can find people to play with. I've dabbled in whistle for a couple years but start playing a lot more this last winter when I tore a ligament in a finger skiinger and couldn't play mando for a few months. I started going to BG jams again recently and one I attend is pretty laid back, medium speed, a couple guy play harmonica which is folky/country but definitely not bluegrass in a strict sense. At some point I'll probalby bring a D and C whislte in case someone ever calls a tune I can play on whistle.

So, I'm curious does anyone play whistle in any bluegrass/folk/country/oldtime jams?

-K
jim stone

Re: Anyone play whistle in bluegrass / foik / country oldtime jams?

Post by jim stone »

I play irish flute in old time, country, blue grass ensembles. It works very well, pretty much because it works well with the same instruments in Ireland. There has sometimes been resistance when I took out a flute, but they liked it better after I played.
angelablueskies
Tell us something.: I'm a lifelong flutist, and have played classical/world music professionally for many years. I also work with sound as a tool for mindfulness and healing, and am heading in a new direction in learning Irish traditional music.

Post by angelablueskies »

I love this idea, sounds like a lot of fun! Having grown up in Southern Appalachia, I can totally imagine the whistle fitting well into this style!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

learn2turn wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm I started going to BG jams again recently and one I attend is pretty laid back, medium speed, a couple guy play harmonica which is folky/country but definitely not bluegrass in a strict sense.

This reminds me of a classic story about Bluegrass legend Bill Monroe:

A bunch of people are playing in a bluegrass jam at a festival. At some point a person started playing harmonica in the jam. As a round ended Bill Monroe walks up to the harmonica player and says “Son, that’s a nice instrument you have there. But not for Bluegrass.” Then walks off. :lol:
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I've seen whistles played in Folk groups, & they are even played in Metal bands, so why not. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

Loren wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 pm
learn2turn wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm I started going to BG jams again recently and one I attend is pretty laid back, medium speed, a couple guy play harmonica which is folky/country but definitely not bluegrass in a strict sense.

This reminds me of a classic story about Bluegrass legend Bill Monroe:

A bunch of people are playing in a bluegrass jam at a festival. At some point a person started playing harmonica in the jam. As a round ended Bill Monroe walks up to the harmonica player and says “Son, that’s a nice instrument you have there. But not for Bluegrass.” Then walks off. :lol:
But the classic 70s able "May the Circle Be Unbroken" had several instruments like Harmonica that aren't classic bluegrass. I'd put that album in the "America" genre. Most of the BG jams I go to aren't very strict and a couple people play harmonica. In fact, I think people just got in the habit of the calling most jams BG jams when many are more like Amercana folkd acoustic jams.

My favorite Bill Monroe quote was when Elvis Presley put "Blue Moon of Kentucky' on the B-side of 'That's Alright'. Back then the B-side of singles payed the same songwriting royalty as the A-side. When Bill was asked if it bothered him that a rock-and-roller covered one of his songs, he responded "Them was powerful checks." Bill originally wrote BMofK as a waltz but Elvis did it up tempo in 4/4. Once the audience got used to hearing the up-tempo Elvis version, Bill changed his arrangement to do the first verse as a waltz and then the rest of the song as up-tempo 4/4 bluegrass.