WANTED: crazy 6/8 / jig - the wackier and chromaticer the betterer

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
Stevie D
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing this sort of music since 2007 and am in a band called Jonah's Lift. These esteemed fora come in handy to this very day.

WANTED: crazy 6/8 / jig - the wackier and chromaticer the betterer

Post by Stevie D »

Hi C&F, been a while since I posted here. I would really like to find a weird and wacky, out-there jig, or something that conforms to a 6/8 time signature. Aside from blasting jigs and reels on the tin whistle, I also play the clarinet. I particularly like dipping my toes into klezmer. A crazy idea I have at the moment is to fit some of the verse from The Call of Cthulhu for Beginning Readers to the aforementioned 6/8 tune (if one exists). You can see for yourself how well the words scan to the time signature:

The most merciful thing in the world, I believe
is humanity's failure to fully conceive
the cosmical horrors we've yet to reveal,
and which up until now I have tried to conceal.

As I'll play it on the clarinet (chromatic), I'm not tied to a diatonic instrument. Therefore, departures from some of the constraints of ITM are possible.

Can you think of something that fits the bill?

Thanks for your time!
- THIS SPACE TO LET -
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: WANTED: crazy 6/8 / jig - the wackier and chromaticer the betterer

Post by Sirchronique »

You could always compose one. You’d be more likely to get something with the sound you are after, and at the same time avoid ruffling feathers by bringing a traditional tune into it.

As far as inspiration goes, aside from Irish jigs, you could look into Galician muiñeiras to get some additional composition ideas flowing for stuff in 6/8.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: WANTED: crazy 6/8 / jig - the wackier and chromaticer the betterer

Post by benhall.1 »

In the past, I wrote a few that would fit the bill ... I suppose I could share, but I'd second Sirchronique - I'd say write your own.