Mandolin cast tailpiece?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Mandolin cast tailpiece?

Post by brewerpaul »

Has anyone replaced the stamped metal tailpiece on their mando with an Allen (or other) cast tailpiece?
Did it make a genuine difference?
If nothing else they look cool, but I've not been able to justify their high price. However, I was looking at the Allen website and noticed that they have factory cosmetic seconds for like $45 for the unpolished bronze. I can live with that for my beloved Fullerton Gloucester. I have a buffer and can polish it myself.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tim2723

Re: Mandolin cast tailpiece?

Post by Tim2723 »

Head to Mandolincafe.com. There's endless discussion about it. In a nutshell, some see a difference, others don't. Sometimes it's a big change, sometimes it's so subtle they aren't sure if anything happened. It's one of those things. Like when someone changes the material of the nut and claims a difference in the tone of fretted strings. There's no indisputable science to back it up (hence the endless dispute), but it still seems to happen for some players. A lot seems to depend on the individual instrument and player. Some mandolins respond significantly to small changes like increasing string gauge by a small amount, others not so much. About the only thing everyone agrees on is that some of the fancier designs make string changing easier. There's the aesthetic consideration too. If you think it looks cool, that's a good reason. Just be careful that the new one fits properly. Not all replacement tailpieces fit all instruments, even if they're for the same style mandolin.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Turns out that Allen have very few seconds, and none suitable for my mando. I bought one of these instead: http://www.instrumentalley.com/Ashton-B ... lash-c.htm

I'll report in when I've installed it, along with some photos of the solid maple bridge I had installed :D
Got wood?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Better tailpiece is the next step for my Fullerton Gloucester. Right now it's with a luthier friend getting a bone nut and a Red Henry bridge. I hope the bridge is as good as some say.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

btw, that Ashton Bailey looks nice, especially for the price. I hope the quality proves to be comparable to other, more expensive options.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

The Ashtons are one of the designs people like for easier string changes, so that's cool.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

The Red Henry is the type of bridge I had installed, and I really think it made a huge difference in both the tone and the feel of the Gloucester. It feels more "alive" in my hands and barks like crazy.
I also had a refret job with bigger fret wire, and a bit of radius added to the fingerboard. So far, I'm as happy as can be.
Got wood?
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Good call on the fret wire. I upgraded to 'modern' frets on my old Gibson A50, and also added a Brekke bridge. Both helped a lot. I've never tried a cast tailpiece, though.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

I put cast tailpieces on all of the mandolins I build. Not sure if they sound better, but they don't break. The old crimped ones sure do.

Rob
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

The stamped ones look kinda cheesy too.
I don't think I want quite so much chrome on my mando do I'm taking a hint from the Allen site and customizing my tailpiece with some paint:
Got wood?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

What's the benefit to having bigger frets? Is it worth considering as a future upgrade?
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Thomaston wrote:What's the benefit to having bigger frets? Is it worth considering as a future upgrade?
They last longer, and are easier to fret.
Got wood?
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

brewerpaul wrote:
Thomaston wrote:What's the benefit to having bigger frets? Is it worth considering as a future upgrade?
They last longer, and are easier to fret.

True enough. I'd go a bit further and say that they actually sound better, thanks to their greater mass. The easier fretting seems to result from less finger contact with the fingerboard, thus requiring less pressure for a nice, positive stop.

I hear there is now small gauge stainless steel wire available; I'm going to switch to that and save someone a load of trouble doing periodic refrets (probably me).

Rob
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Hmmm. I may have to inquire on how much more that would cost... easier fretting would be a huge plus for me.
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

Paul,

I just wanted to interject something about the frets that are on your mandolin. The type of fret wire that is on your mandolin is more of a vintage (small) fret wire that just happens to be a little taller than average. Stew Mac calls it Modern Standard # 0764

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_su ... twire.html

I have seen some people go up to more of a guitar wire on their mando but personally I think it is a little large.

Thanks for letting me barge in here, just my 2c!

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!