In Search of the Perfect Pick

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Tim2723

Re: In Search of the Perfect Pick

Post by Tim2723 »

There are several makers today using horn and hoof for picks. I've tried them and they are not the same as natural shell, but they do make very playable picks. At least those are from populous species. BTW, the Hawksbill is a sea turtle, not a tortoise, although the term tortoise shell is commonly used. Sorry for the typo.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tim2723 wrote:There are several makers today using horn and hoof for picks. I've tried them and they are not the same as natural shell, but they do make very playable picks.
Could you elaborate on the difference?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

It's a subjective kind of thing. I find horn to be stiffer, more brittle, hoof to be rather 'leathery' in texture. Shell is stiff yet pliable and very smooth. Hard to describe, but if you had the three picks together you'd tell them apart right away. Shell is a material that plastic tried to emulate, and it has its own plastic characteristics that are unique. Nevertheless, I have absolutely no desire to ever buy another shell pick.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tim2723 wrote:Shell is a material that plastic tried to emulate...
The same has been said of horn, so thus my question. Very interesting, and thanks. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

liestman wrote;
I bought a $36 Blue Chip pick, liked it so much for the tone and functionality of it
And this;
have a bit better tone
Then this about V-picks;
The things I like is that they don't move around in your grip and the tone is good and bright
Mmm..interesting, I just held my plectrum between my finger and thumb and tried strumming it against the tip of my left thumb, definitely no tone produced there. Are you saying that a pick has 'tone'? :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I just got a Freakishly Large Rounded V-pick for my mandolin and I have to say that I'm really loving these fat picks. I find that I have to work less hard just to hang onto the pick and this leaves my hand and wrist much freer to pick. Think of writing with a thin pencil which cramps your fingers together, as opposed to a fatter pen.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Do the picks made out of hoof and horn not stink, especially once they warm up?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I didn't notice, but I didn't sniff them either. I wasn't impressed with them as picks, so they didn't hang around long. Sorry, but you now know all I know about them.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

"Pssst ... hey ... you wanna sniff my pick?"

I'll have to try that line sometime. :o
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:Do the picks made out of hoof and horn not stink, especially once they warm up?
It's the processing and working of horn that's stinky (boiling and heating at much higher temperatures than the human body produces), not so much the product itself when left on its own. My cane has a horn handle, and when I received it, the the cane and handle being newly-made, the handle smelled like leather. But that went away pretty quickly, maybe a week, give or take. Now, even though my hand will be on the handle for extended periods, the warmth doesn't excite any smelly molecules. So, I'm guessing that it's the same with horn picks (couldn't say about hoof, but it's basically the same substance); after a short while they should be pretty odorless and remain that way under normal use.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I could be worse with hoof, depending on what was trod in.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tim2723 wrote:I could be worse with hoof, depending on what was trod in.
You could. :wink:
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Interesting to see so many using thick picks for mandolin. My experience trying out various shapes and sizes has left me most comfortable lately with a cheap 0.73 Dunlop. The thicker ones feel like they muffle the tone too much for session playing.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I feel the same way. I can never get a good tone or volume out of those thick ones everybody seems to like so much. They are muffled and unresponsive for me. I use a 0.5mm large, rounded triangle type. I choke up on it so that there's only a tiny point sticking out from my fingers, so it acts a lot stiffer than it is. That also gives me a huge surface to grip, and I don't have any of those slipping problems. I get plenty of volume and never have any trouble hearing myself as so many do, but my tone is brighter than a lot of players might prefer. The thick picks sound nice and woody, with that Bluegrass kind of tone, but I get no volume at all. I'm sure it's just my technique. Then again, I've never been one who would struggle with something just because somebody else says it's best, so I've never put a lot of work into learning to use a thick pick. I suppose that's why I still have a couple of ancient shell picks (I never wore them out and refuse to contribute to the issues by selling them) and why I didn't give a fair shake to the horn and hoof picks (I gave those away immediately).

All a matter of personal taste, of course.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Zombie Thread:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62114343/ha ... uitar-pick
$49. Up to 25 characters. I'm not buying or selling this.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦