ITM on Viola

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
wvtinwhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

ITM on Viola

Post by wvtinwhistler »

I already play ITM on the tinwhistle, but I have started bringing my viola to sessions and they really like it. First of all, I need some songs that would sound great on the viola (it has strings A, D, G, and C). Second, the folks at session mentioned a CD that had ITM on violin and cello, and I have no idea what it's called. Suggestions for playing ITM on the viola would be great, too. (Hopefully it's not frowned upon?)
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Probably sounds great, but then again, you have to put up with all the viola jokes:

http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/jokes/viola.html
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
wvtinwhistler

Post by wvtinwhistler »

brewerpaul wrote:Probably sounds great, but then again, you have to put up with all the viola jokes:

http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/jokes/viola.html
Yea. I get those a lot, but I don't really mind them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

If you're adept at picking things up by ear, it would fit in fine I'd think. Just have to drop an octave here and there.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Maurice Lennon played viola as well as fiddle in Stockton's Wing. I've seen him live with Finbar Furey a couple of times too, and out came that viola again.

I don't know what reaction it'd get in a purist ITM session, but viola sounds great to me in ITM, folk, jazz...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Domhnall

Post by Domhnall »

The record with Violin and Cello might be Fire & Grace by Alaisdair Fraser and Natalie Haas. Fraser plays viola on a few of the records of his I own, so he may pull it out on this one as well.

I usually hear viola being played for airs and waltzes and not the fast stuff, and thats what I think sounds best, but to each their own.
Dan Henshall

Music: myspace.com/danhenshall

Blog: danhenshall.livejournal.com
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

If you retune to DAEB (dunno how feasible that is on viola), you got real easy first position fiddle/mando-fingering, ITM scales fall right under your fingers. CGDA is a bit awkwarder but not impossible (or even really difficult) by any means.

I love viola myself, only got a chance once to play once but I love the sound.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

TheSpoonMan wrote:If you retune to DAEB (dunno how feasible that is on viola), you got real easy first position fiddle/mando-fingering, ITM scales fall right under your fingers. CGDA is a bit awkwarder but not impossible (or even really difficult) by any means.

I love viola myself, only got a chance once to play once but I love the sound.
DAEB is a tuning that often gets used for odd sized mando-critters. One 1919 Gibson mandocello tuned DAEB gave off a sound as gorgeously creamy as anything I've heard.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Lightheaded Mike

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

Does anyone here know if a 3/4 sized viola can be strung as a violin? Pardon the de-rail on the the thread, but the question came up for me the other week. A colleague of mine grew up playing viola in Quebec, and she'd like to try Irish music and dust off the viola that she last played. It's a 3/4, and she claims that it has the same scale length as a violin.
I've heard of viola players buying special strings that allow GDAE tuning, but I've not heard of stringing a small viola as a violin.

Cheers, Mike
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Lightheaded Mike wrote:Does anyone here know if a 3/4 sized viola can be strung as a violin?
12" is a common violin scale length, and 16" is also common for Viola, ableit with greater variation. .75 x 16 = 12

It should work, although depending on the quality of the viola, things (sound post, top, etc) may be optimised for better resonance at the lower pitch.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Here's another twist, if you're looking for a low fiddle sound:
http://www.darolanger.com/bariton.html
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

If the scale length of a 3/4 viola is the same as a violin, what's the difference between the two?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Domhnall

Post by Domhnall »

I've seen a few 3/4 violas and they are the same size as a violin, but tend to be a bit thicker, and obviously have heavier strings on them.
Dan Henshall

Music: myspace.com/danhenshall

Blog: danhenshall.livejournal.com
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Martin Hayes plays a bit of Viola on his new album "Welcome Here Again" with Dennis Cahill he plays melody and harmonies depending on the track and he also plays it on with Kevin Crawford on "In Good Company." I would check these out if I were you.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

My fiddler fella and I were bitten hard with the "Kitty Lie Over" bug so have been playing "low and slow" with a viola and a Bb flute a bit over the past year. He has a student-size viola (3/4 size maybe?) he's tuned down -- I'm not sure what the tuning is, exactly, but I think he's playing it the same as he would his fiddle because he doesn't seem to be struggling with any sort of transposition. Anyway, the overall effect is quite nice (except for my chuddy Bb flute playing, of course). E-minory tunes like Doherty's (Killarney Boys of Pleasure) and pretty G tunes like The Virginia or Lad O' Beirne's seem to go down very well. The Monaghan Jig is cool, too, and Gusty's Frolics is a riot (though rather a long haul for the flute player).

I've also wondered if Frankie Gavin isn't playing a viola to Mick McGoldrick's Bb flute on "Tunes"? For anyone who wants some low flute inspiration, that's a great recording.

Have fun with it!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.