damping 5th string on a Banjo

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Clancysinger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love the Ueileann Pipes especially the old flat sets which for me have a sweeter sound. Years ago I owned a beautiful flat set made by Geoff Wooff. They were a half set in C and really sang, unfortunately I sold them and stopped the pipes to take up another instrument. About 6 years ago I got on Derrick Gleesons list who studied pipe making with Geoff. Derricks pipes have a similar sound, look and feel to Woofs. I would not want to be on the end of Woofs list as the list streches into the afterlife which is apt really as his pipes used to often transport me to another time.

damping 5th string on a Banjo

Post by Clancysinger »

Greetings folks..... any ideas for damping the 5th string on an open back banjo ? The first place to start would be to play it quieter I know and do practice that but wondering about changing the 5th string or dulling it with a piece of sponge I have seen. For a drone string I would want it at half the volume of the other strings which takes some technique especially at any sort of speed.
cassidybole
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a flute enthusiast and what to share the ideas with fellow learners. I have always been keen to more about flute world.

Re: damping 5th string on a Banjo

Post by cassidybole »

Hello there, Damping the 5th string on your open-back banjo is a great idea for achieving the desired balance. Using a piece of sponge or foam near the bridge can work well for softening the drone string's volume. Adjusting your technique and finger placement can also help you control the string's volume. Experiment with different methods and find what suits your style. Happy playing and experimenting on your banjo journey!