Covid drives flute player to new mandolin

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Covid drives flute player to new mandolin

Post by PB+J »

After several years of steady work at the flute I've gotten to where I'm tolerable at a session. I found a couple that would tolerate me and it was great.

I was going to work--45 students, all required to be in masks, myself in a mask as well--and had been going to pub sessions, where I'm was blowing across the opening in a tube, with no mask. I decided this was not sustainable or advisable, for myself or others.

So I picked up a used mandolin for very cheap, nothing fancy, a ply top chinese made mandolin that played quite well but was very thin and one dimensional sounding. It was enough to show that forty years of playing bass and guitar is of some value in transitioning to mandolin.

So I went to my local music shop where I've been going for decades and traded in a bunch of guitar stuff for a Weymann mandolin, made in Philadelphia in 1914.

It's a nice old instrument well aged, with the eccentricities one might expect. It likes lighter strings and rings beautifully in the mid-range. I've been studying the playing of Marla Fibish, who is really terrific, a graceful payer with good taste and fine sense of swing.

At least I can play the mandolin in a mask, and if I'm terrible the mask will conceal my identity.
paddler

Re: Covid drives flute player to new mandolin

Post by paddler »

Very nice! I think Weymann used to call that particular model a "mandolute". I heard they were nice and,
in fact, I tried to buy one on eBay a few months ago. But I got outbid ... as usual. :swear:

I too have been playing mandolin recently, having set my flute aside temporarily. Not because of covid,
but because of some right hand finger problems that have left me able to hold a plectrum, but not do a
whole lot more. I don't have the background that you have with strings, but I've really been enjoying the
mandolin.

Jon
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Yes it's a "mandolute" and has quite a nice sound. It seems to like lower tension strings, and I made a new bridge for it which is better in some ways and not in others.

It's a lot of fun and very useful to think about the tunes from a different set of possibilities and limits. Been listening a lot to Marla Fibish, who's really quite a marvelous and graceful player.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

A little late to the jam, but thanks a lot for the recommendation of Marla Fibish, PB+J! I am now listening to her on Youtube, and her album The Bright Hollow Fog here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra67FyH ... zlV8RnLgsQ
Really nice stuff!

I hope your Weyman inspires you to play, and she's a good one to emulate it seems! Thank you for the tip about her, and the inspiration too! Enjoy your new mando-lute! Looks great!
~~~~
Barry