Turkish Cumbus For ITM?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
TD997
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just got into Tin whistles and thought it'd be good to join and see other people's opinions and thoughts so that I can learn from them.

Turkish Cumbus For ITM?

Post by TD997 »

Does anyone play the Turkish Cumbus? i bought a standard 12 string fretless model on a whim, but i find it to be quite suitable for irish tunes! its very easy to play in the keys of D and G in its standard tuning (ABEADG). ADEADG is another tuning that might be well suited for it, though i havent messed around with that tuning much. The Cumbus is quite affordable (200-300ish USD) so I'd love to see more people playing it, especially in ITM!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Turkish Cumbus For ITM?

Post by PB+J »

fretless AND double coursed? That's an intonation/tuning disaster waiting to happen.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't remember hearing about this instrument before. I just watched The Hollies playing Stop! Stop! Stop! Fretted, but recognisably the same instrument. I wonder where they got the idea for using that from?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I don't remember hearing about this instrument before. I just watched The Hollies playing Stop! Stop! Stop! Fretted, but recognisably the same instrument. I wonder where they got the idea for using that from?
Looking at the vid of the Hollies, Ben, I have to disagree and say that that isn't a cümbüş. Rather, it's a 5-string banjo amped to alter the tone for special, "groovier" effect. Wiki says it's a cümbüş, but it's clearly not. Bad Wiki.

In comparison to any banjo, the cümbüş has a much deeper resonator - not unlike a cooking pot - and I am under the impression that this is a consistent feature in cümbüş construction, whereas banjo resonators are comparatively shallow, and optional. Cümbüş resonators are typically made of spun metal, but sometimes wood, too. Also, the skin of the head is held down differently from a banjo: on a cümbüş the metal rim covers a fraction of the head around the edge, whereas on a modern banjo it typically does not, or at least to that degree if at all.

The cümbüş was invented in the 1930s as an informal alternative to the Turkish oud. I first learned about them from Lark In The Morning catalogs, back before the internet made such publishing effectively obsolete. I don't remember which version LITM offered at the time, but the fretless, six double courses form is the standard, and the idea has expanded from there to variants derived from fretted instruments such as the saz, mandolin and ukelele, with all versions superficially resembling a banjo in front. One version is even played with a bow.

FWIW, "cümbüş" is pronounced "jümbüsh", the ü being the same as in German (English speakers could probably get by with "Jim Bush" :wink: ). It means something akin to "fun" or "revelry". It's also the original inventor's surname which, given the meaning, is rather interesting.
PB+J wrote:fretless AND double coursed? That's an intonation/tuning disaster waiting to happen.
You can always say you're using the Middle Eastern 24-tone scale when your fingering goes awry. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician