Will your meeting have Timbits?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Will your meeting have Timbits?

Post by Tunborough »

It's come to my attention that a cultural practice I thought was ubiquitous might be particular to Canada.

Around here, whenever folks gather to attend to some business or other--be it a corporation, association, workshop, or community group--it's not unusual to find pastries or other finger-food, and maybe soft drinks of one sort or other, to nibble on during the meeting. These may be provided by the host, brought by the participants in pot-luck fashion, or maybe one of the participants, on a whim, stopped by a certain iconic Canadian establishment (I almost wrote "religious institution", but if you're not Canadian you might misunderstand the reference.) to pick up a coupla dozen doughnuts. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, no one here bats an eye.

So ... does this happen where you are?
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Will your meeting have Timbits?

Post by mutepointe »

We have a Tim Hortons less than 2 miles from our home. In West Virginia, bringing food or having food at a meeting (of social workers) is common. I keep candy in my computer bag for just such occasions. Brainstorming on a Dove chocolate high is fun, brings people together, and often facilitates results.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't understand the word "timbits" but you seem to be asking if folks around the world have nibbles at business meetings. For the UK, in my experience, the general answer is "No. Never." I'm not counting the meetings which happen at lunchtime in the boardroom, where in many companies lunch is provided. Sandwiches and stuff.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbits

Yes, I'm asking about nibbles in general. The subject line gives a specific example of the genre.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbits

Yes, I'm asking about nibbles in general. The subject line gives a specific example of the genre.
Ah right. Thanks. Got it now. :) We don't have timbits here. I've glad I asked, 'cos I'd thought at first that it was a sort of variant on "titbits", which basically means nibbles.

Anyway, it looks like I answered correctly in my post above. :)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:So ... does this happen where you are?
More often than not, in my experience. There should at least be coffee, for heaven's sake.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Depends on the meeting type. Generally, someone brings something and someone else is shoving something unhealthy in.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

I spent nearly 25 years of my adult work life / career in law enforcement. So yes, I had a doughnut or two along the way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bottoms Up,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!