Chiffies record a CD in honor of Denny?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Chiffies record a CD in honor of Denny?

Post by Caroluna »

I've been thinking about this for a while.
Would any of you be interested in collaborating to make a CD?
Sort of a virtual session in Denny's honor.

I'm picturing that the process of organizing and recording would take about a year, so, no hurry.

Because of the Miracle of Modern Technology, we'd be able to perform and record individually, and then combine the results "in the studio".
The software is so good now that you don't need a fancy recording studio to mix the tracks. I'm pretty sure there's people here who have the expertise!

What I picture is a CD that includes
solo, small group, and "everybody all together" tracks
tunes all the way from "pure drop" to Trad hybrid music
tunes in the public domain, tunes written by members of C & F, possibly non-public domain music too? (with permission)
tracks that feature different instruments (whistle, flute, pipes, harp, ....)
vocal tracks, both solo and group
melancholy music, cheerful music, funny music, some kick-@ss reels, slow airs, and some absolute tear-jerkers.

Maybe most important -- I would love for this CD to include contributions not only by our most skilled musicians, but also by people who are less confident about their playing.
For example, I wouldn't want to have a solo but I would love to be part of an "everybody all together" track.

I always had it in mind that I would make the trip out to Seattle to meet Denny F2F one of these days
...now that won't be possible :cry:
but it would be great to have a Virtual Session at Roads End Farm.

Let me know what you think!
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Chiffies record a CD in honor of Denny?

Post by kokopelli »

I love the idea! I definitely fall into the category of "people who are less confident about their playing" but I would still enjoy being a part of this project if it gets off the ground.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
rachie_ray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rachie_ray »

My uncle has a recording studio in his house and is very exrienced in mixing tracks and music collaberation. I am sure he would love to help put this together and make it a reality in my dad's honor. He has over 30 years of experence. I would be more than happy to talk to him about it you would like me to. My dad loved my uncle very much and vise versa. Let me know if there is anything I can do to contribute!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Love to. If you look on the "Skug Skellum" thread on Youtube you can see just how professional I am not.
Since people were posting "The Last Trip Home" in memory, I thought that would be a good song to learn. I can't do it. I can't get through a verse and a chorus without my voice breaking. :cry:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

rachie_ray wrote:My uncle has a recording studio in his house and is very exrienced in mixing tracks and music collaberation. I am sure he would love to help put this together and make it a reality in my dad's honor. He has over 30 years of experence. I would be more than happy to talk to him about it you would like me to. My dad loved my uncle very much and vise versa. Let me know if there is anything I can do to contribute!
Wow, how cool is that!

I will get to work PM-ing and e-mailing people who might be interested. :)
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Here is an update!

I'm still in the process of contacting people.
So far about there are about half-a-dozen folks who are a definite yes, and another half-dozen who are definite maybes.
I have found several tech experts, several multi-multi-instrumentalists :o and a couple of song writers! :D
Thanks to everyone who has responded.

As I continue to gather your ideas and input, this project will develop a clearer focus. The consensus seems to be: we want this musical effort to be a celebration of our friendship with Denny, a way we can join together as a community, and also a gift that we can give to Denny's family.

Here are some of the songs and tunes that have been suggested so far! (Some are public domain, but others would need permission to record)

The Last Trip Home (several mentions)
The Parting Glass (several mentions)
What's the Life of a Man
Let Union Be
The Last Pint
Airdí Cuain
Mo Ghile Mear
The Snowy Path

In addition, some people have asked to "reserve" a particular song for a solo or small group. I'm keeping a separate list of those special requests.
Zing me a note if there's something in particular you would like to reserve.

All for now. Please keep the suggestions and ideas coming!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Someone very helpfully pointed out to me that the above was a bit confusing. :lol:

I would like to propose Three Categories

(1) Big Group
This is a song / tune that has already been mentioned a lot of times, so let's do it as a big group effort.
How to arrange a song if there are 15 people who want to be part of it? ...we will be figuring that out.

(2) Reserved Songs
Person X has spoken up and said "Please please, may I have this one?"
Person X may very well ask others for help -- harmony, accompaniment. Or they may want it as a solo.

What happens if Person Y then says "Dang it!! I wanted that one!"
Person X requested it first, so Person Y would negotiate with Person X.

(3) Everything Else
No one has reserved it. It's not clear that it should be a big group effort, because there wasn't a ton of interest.
Medium-sized group??
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Here is where we stand as of 1/28. These selections have not been OK'd yet by Denny's family, so it's not set in stone.

(1) Big Group -- everybody!
The Last Trip Home
The Parting Glass
(which version, though?)

(2) Reserved Songs
"Someone" has asked to do Ashoken Farewell on fiddle, but she's not sure her fiddle skills are up to it, and wants some time to practice.
If you are interested in Ashoken Farewell also, PM me, and I'll get you in touch with her!

Caroluna has asked to do Handel's Pifa -- sped up so that it sounds like a jig.
I play flute. I would love to have 3 or 4 others helping me out on this one -- whistle, another flute, guitar, mandolin would be good, but I'm flexible.
Please no Bodhrán.

fifenwhistle has asked for the tune "Hold the Reins" and will likely package it with a couple others to make a set, preferably all "horse-related" titles in honor of Denny's equestrian interests. He says "I am happy to go solo or we can engineer a collaboration."

(3) Everything Else
No one has reserved these. Only one mention for each. Any takers? Could we share some?

What's the Life of a Man
Let Union Be
The Last Pint
Airdí Cuain
Mo Ghile Mear
The Snowy Path

Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Coming soon --

Fearfaoin is setting up a way for us to submit our recordings to one place, where everyone can listen to them and download them. He also has a way of keeping them neatly labeled and organized. This may happen as soon as the next 2 weeks. Thanks Farf!!

A friend of mine (let's call him BoffinMRC)is going to help me set up a website. It will have an FAQ section, sheet music you can download, and midi files you can download. It will also have the most current version of who-wants-to-play-what-tune(s). I think this will take about 2 months. BoffinMRC is not from C & F, but he was an online friend of Denny's.

Thanks for all the encouraging messages. Organizing this is "outside of my skill set", but I feel like the project is much bigger than me, so it's worth going out of my comfort zone. As always, thanks for the comments and advice.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"Let Union Be" is a song with a strong chorus, and would be a good one for everyone to join in on and harmonise.
Caroluna, as organiser, you will have to have the say as to which version (of any of the songs) gets used. I don't have a strong opinion on any of the ones mentioned, but once they are decided, we'll need a link to the chosen version of each.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Let Union Be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUssnnjSTU

Let Union Be in All Our Hearts

Come on, lads, and let's be jolly
Drive away all melancholy,
For, to grieve it would be folly,
While we are together.

cho:Let union be in all our hearts,
Let all our hearts be joined as one.
We'll end the day as we begun,
We'll end it all in pleasure.

Right-folla-rolla-rye, too-ra-lie-doe (3x)
While we are together.

Old King Solomon, in all his glory,
Told each wife a different story,
Of the things that we delight in,
While we are together.
cho:

Eating and drinking are quite charming,
(or: courting and drinking, if you prefer)
Smoking and piping there's no harm in.
(or: piping and dancing)
These are things we take delight in,
While we are together.

Grab the bottle as it passes,
Do not fail to fill your glasses.
(or: Come on, lads, and raise your glasses
Grab the bottle as it passes)
Water drinkers are dull @sses,
While we are together.

Cease your quarreling and fighting,
Evil thinking and backbiting.
All these things take no delight in,
While we are together.

:thumbsup:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Caroluna wrote:The Parting Glass (which version, though?)
I only know of one version... The only differences seem to be in performance decisions. Unless I'm missing something.
It depends entirely on how much accompaniment is needed. It can be very hard to follow rhythmically if the singer wants to put a Fermata at the end of every line.
Even without that, you have to be careful to count the pauses between lines, else singers tend to come in early. It's not a trivial song to record, to tell the truth, but it's doable.
Two examples I found that eschew fermatas and excessive Rubato:
The Wailing Jennys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4egb2gpIg4
Liam Clancy (though, even then note fermata after "can't recall"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1se8_-fcxZs

Caroluna, this is the very song I was telling you about trying to record guitar accompaniment after the singer had recorded without a click track. 0% fun.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Innocent Bystander wrote: I don't have a strong opinion on any of the ones mentioned, but once they are decided, we'll need a link to the chosen version of each.
Hey! Guess what!! We're going to set up a whole separate forum for this project -- to be called Trad & More -- because the CD for Denny will encompass traditional Irish music, and more.

On this forum we'll have a separate thread for each tune, with a link to the sheet music / midi file for each one. And we can have discussions about which version, what key, and how to arrange it (what instruments? harmony on the vocals? etc.)

Fearfaoin and I have been hard at work on this, and I think it might be up and running within a week.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

fearfaoin wrote:I only know of one version... The only differences seem to be in performance decisions. Unless I'm missing something.
A couple people mentioned the version from the movie "Waking Ned Devine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDB87o-njFQ

the singing comes in at 2:26

To me this sounds similar to the tune for "Mo Ghile Mear"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDlCM_Mwtys
(this is Mary Black's version)
this is the very song I was telling you about trying to record guitar accompaniment after the singer had recorded without a click track. 0% fun.
that's another fine mess you've gotten us into, Ollie!

Yeah, let's avoid that :o
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Caroluna wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:I only know of one version... The only differences seem to be in performance decisions. Unless I'm missing something.
A couple people mentioned the version from the movie "Waking Ned Devine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDB87o-njFQ
Well, I'll be. That's nice, I like it. No arbitrary pauses between the lines at all.
Wonder if it's copyrighted...