Baby advice.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Baby advice.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Hi everyone,my wife and I are expecting our first children in about 6 weeks time.I'm 40 and she is 38 and we are going to have twin daughters.I must admit it's very scary and all sorts of things are going through our minds.
Are there any other parents of multiples on here who could have any good advice? It would be much appreciated.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Baby advice.

Post by mutepointe »

You are so lucky. Kiss this life good-bye. You have a new life heading your way like a run-away locomative. We'll want pictures and stories.

No advice here. No kids and we adopt neutered adult dogs from the shelter, one at a time.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Thanks Mute,your right about kissing life as we know it goodbye,it's gonna be one hell of a ride.

We also have two dogs that we adopted,just hope they all get along!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Whistling Willie wrote:Thanks Mute,your right about kissing life as we know it goodbye,it's gonna be one hell of a ride.

We also have two dogs that we adopted,just hope they all get along!
As long as they aren't something like Akitas you should be fine.
Whistling Willie

We had Akitas back in Ireland,but we left them with family.Now we have a German Shepherd and a little ankle biter of dubious origin.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I can't give advice on multiples, but my wife and I were 39 and 40 when we had our (only) child.

Get used to no sleep.

Don't kid yourself that work can't be without you for several weeks. My wife quit (for all intents and purposes) working when the baby came; I took a week entirely off, then did maybe half-time for the next month, but we had visitors (read: help) for a couple of those weeks. I was always on call from work (to home), and my wife took advantage of that a few times. Such as when she locked the keys in the car. With the baby in it. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably stay home for 3 weeks (or telecommute half-time; that's a lot easier these days) and make sure the help arrived after that. Since you're having twins, double that if at all possible.

Put all your preconceptions of parenthood to rest. Except the part about no sleep. NOTHING can prepare you for it. I was a little skeptical, but it's the coolest thing that's happened to me, and I can't imagine anything cooler. On the one hand, I felt so old from lack of sleep, OTOH, ten years later, she still makes me feel young when I'm around her.

Most of all, enjoy it all, and never forget how lucky you are to have your beautiful wife and adorable twins. (No, I've never met any of them, but the sentiment stands.)

Even more than that, laugh. Your kids will be goofy, and the laughter will get you through many days.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Best wishes, and I hope everyone comes out happy and healthy!
No advice other than "don't make any plans". Or rather, be prepared to change each and every plan you make.
It's a learning experience. Like life, only more so. Have fun!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Congratulations! Daughters are the best.

As said previously, nobody can prepare you for parenthood, because no two experiences are the same.

My tiny bit of advice: don't feel guilty if you're not happy at first. When I had no 1 daughter, I got lonely & depressed (my social life had been mainly at work in London; all of a sudden I was stuck in the small commuter town in Surrey with only a once-weekly meeting with other mothers). People didn't want to hear that - when they ask how you are, you're supposed to say 'wonderful', 'ecstatic', 'never been better'.
Having babies - esp two at a time - turns your life upside down; sleepless nights make you ratty; your time is suddenly taken up by a little tyrant. It's a huge strain on the relationship, too. But it IS the best thing ever, once you get used to it. My girls are now nearly 20 and 22, and the only hard thing now is that they don't need me so much anymore!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Early potty training is the road to happiness.
Denny

Post by Denny »

well, yeah...if yer successful :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Denny wrote:well, yeah...if yer successful :D
Skinner box worked like a charm...
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Tell them lies. Plan ahead. Come up with some good, harmless ones. My brothers and I all grew up believing that if you ate chocolate ice cream in a moving vehicle you would immediately throw up. Our school field trip experiences brought some validity to that statement. When one of my brothers got married and was honeymooning, his bride ordered a chocolate ice cream cone. He had to explain his comment "Are you nuts?!" She didn't buy it but he got her so wound up, she ralphed. She has other problems.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Whistling Willie

Thanks for all the comments,advice,and amusing tales.
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

You're in for a wonderful, amazing time. It will be totally overwhelming. I don't have twins, but I do have 2 daughters, who fully occupied my life for years. You're older than I was (31) when the first was born, and yes, prepare to be exhausted for a very long time. But it's the most exhilarating and rewarding experience of my life and I wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything else I've ever done. Make sure you take time to listen to them and do things with them, really be there for them as they're growing up. It will help you stay close to them.

My girls are now 27 and 30 and each is expecting a baby, about 5 weeks apart... sort of like twins, but they live far from each other. However, they're still best friends, so they'll make sure their kids get to know each other, and I'm getting a double blessing. :love:
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

As others have already said, sleep will become a fond memory.

Even if they are identical, be prepared for two completely different personalities, habits and sleeping/feeding schedules.

Don't be shy or ashamed to ask for help, and take it whenever it is offered. Especially if it offers you and your better half a chance to get away by yourselves for awhile, even if it is just an afternoon off.

Go rent Robin Williams "Live at the Met". He does a whole bit on "Sharing the birth experience" which is a real hoot, and is pretty darn close to the truth too.

Be prepared for mood swings. You can't do a thing about them, but be ready anyway.

Buy or borrow a rocking chair. It is amazing how quickly a gentle rocking motion can help quiet a fussy baby.

I'll second what peewit said....you are in for a wonderful and amazing time.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation