Opportunity Rover Spots Greeley Haven on Mars

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Opportunity Rover Spots Greeley Haven on Mars

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Opportunity Rover Spots Greeley Haven on Mars

Post by Whistlin' Will »

So, the Opportunity rover is advanced enough to have a plutonium power supply, but it has a black and white camera? What's up with that?
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Each rover has a total of 9 cameras, which produce 1024-pixel by 1024-pixel images at 12 bits per pixel,[39] but most navigation camera images and image thumbnails are truncated to 8 bits per pixel to conserve memory and transmission time. All images are then compressed using ICER before being stored and sent to Earth. Navigation, thumbnail, and many other image types are compressed to approximately 0.8 to 1.1 bits/pixel. Lower bit rates (less than 0.5 bit/pixel) are used for certain wavelengths of multi-color panoramic images.

Panoramic Camera (Pancam), for determining the texture, color, mineralogy, and structure of the local terrain.

Navigation Camera (Navcam), that has higher field of view but lower resolution and is monochromatic, for navigation and driving.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

The problem is that they don't have Wal-Mart on Mars, only Wal-Martian, and the Photo Center there handles only Black & White or Red & White. Then, to get your prints delivered the postal service from Mars really stinks. MPS is even slower than USPS, and a 1st class stamp costs like a bazillion dollars.

Just hope that Opportunity never invites you to his house to look at his slides. "And here I am, looking at a rock." *click* "And here I am, looking at another rock." *click* ... Oh gee, look at the time, I think I'd better be going now.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.