Skirting the Issue

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Should there be a poll that addresses sbfulter's question about wearing her new skirt?

1. Yes.
20%
2. No.
60%
3. I think there needs to be more discussion before a vote is called.
No votes
4. I think there needs to be less discussion before a vote is called.
7%
5. Other
No votes
6. Undecided
13%

Total votes: 15

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Skirting the Issue

Post by mutepointe »

Per Doug's Request. Kind of. Don't be pushing a pollster.

You're allowed one vote and re-voting is allowed in case someone makes a very good case that changes your mind.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Skirting the Issue

Post by hans »

I thought Doug's request was a joke. Where will we get to if we vote about if someone should/should not wear some garment?

And a poll about a potential poll could be construed as meta discussion, no?
But then it is by mute and not serious in any case.

Mute, your avatar reminds me of a dynamic form of a certain symbol discussed... :moreevil:
Cool really, but there should be a poll if you should be allowed such avatars! :D

Happy harvest celebrations for everybody!
dwest

Post by dwest »

hans wrote:I thought Doug's request was a joke. Where will we get to if we vote about if someone should/should not wear some garment?

And a poll about a potential poll could be construed as meta discussion, no?
But then it is by mute and not serious in any case.

Mute, your avatar reminds me of a dynamic form of a certain symbol discussed... :moreevil:
Cool really, but there should be a poll if you should be allowed such avatars! :D

Happy harvest celebrations for everybody!
Ooh! Saint Brigid was a bad girl too!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I voted. (It's my skirt.) I voted undecided.

I posted the same question on another site. I was curious if I would get different answers here, where many people appear to be quite erudite, vs there where many people are young and 99% of them are female and theoretically have more fashion sense.

It is interesting that I'm getting exactly the same responses in pretty much exactly the same proportions.

I really did wonder when I originally asked if I was just being sensitive. But apparently I'm not. About half the people wouldn't wear it. The other half would. A small number suggest altering it. A small number suggest reclaiming the symbol and offering a teachable moment to others. One or two think the skirt is ugly and I got one offer to buy it from me.

I am probably going to alter it if I can figure out how. The skirt does not take bleach. I wonder if it will take fabric paint, whatever that is. I might have to sew something. I don't want to cut off the offending pieces because it was the colors that drew me and the offending pieces contain the colors.

Meanwhile, I remain uncertain whether I will wear it as is. Part of me says reclaim the symbol, offer a teachable moment, while the other part is afraid of getting a negative reaction. I'm ugly enough as it is without attracting ugly behavior from others just because I tried to be pretty.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

sbfluter wrote:Part of me says reclaim the symbol, offer a teachable moment...
I say if that's your thinking, then do it. Reclamation doesn't happen in a vacuum.
sbfluter wrote:...while the other part is afraid of getting a negative reaction.
That's your teachable moment.

Unfortunately not all such moments will be met with success; some who do not know might think you are mistaken and ignorant, or even go so far as to accuse your viewpoint as a lie. Such is the quality of this hotbutton topic in the States, and don't expect a miraculous turnaround. As Dain said in your original thread, the time gap [between the Nazi usage and now] is still too small.

Even though cultural context goes a long, long way for me when it comes to taking the symbol on its own intended terms, like Dain I would nevertheless experience that "jolt" upon seeing it, but that's how it is when you remember history. But I'm not so sensitive that I think that other, auspicious, and ancienter expressions of the swastika should be just best avoided. I think that's unreasonable.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Whereas I look at it and just don't see the Nazi symbol at all. It's too different. I'd be very surprised if anyone seeing this skirt on the street would comment on it at all.

And you're hearing this from a Baby Boomer American who lives in an area that takes political correctness to a new height.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Redwolf wrote:Whereas I look at it and just don't see the Nazi symbol at all. It's too different. I'd be very surprised if anyone seeing this skirt on the street would comment on it at all.

And you're hearing this from a Baby Boomer American who lives in an area that takes political correctness to a new height.

Redwolf
Same, when I think nazi, I think of the black rotated cross with a red background. I think it looks classy and nice, and if I saw, I wouldn't think nazi at all. And, if anybody questions it, it could be a nice opportunity to give them a history lesson.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

This is not the thread to discuss wearing the skirt and the swastika symbols on the skirt. This is the thread to discuss the possibility of a future poll to vote on wearing the skirt. Get with the program. Here is the link to the thread to comment about the skirt. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=78314
Maybe the cleverness of this thread title confused people.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

so, ah....ya ain't tryin' ta put a skirt on yer issue?

I think ya ought'a put somethin' on it!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:Maybe the cleverness of this thread title confused people.
Not me. I already voted "No", so I'm gonna post in a conversational wise anyway. It's just another way of driving the point home.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Redwolf wrote:Whereas I look at it and just don't see the Nazi symbol at all. It's too different. I'd be very surprised if anyone seeing this skirt on the street would comment on it at all.

Redwolf
dittosaurus
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=78314
Just thought I would link this seeing as it premises this topic.

sbfluter wrote:......... Part of me says reclaim the symbol, offer a teachable moment, while the other part is afraid of getting a negative reaction. I'm ugly enough as it is without attracting ugly behavior from others just because I tried to be pretty.
Its an ugly thing that in one of the leading democracies on the planet people have to be careful in expressing their personal taste in clothing on account of a universal symbol which carries a negative connotation for a minority of the world's population because some racist and his party appropriated it for a brief but intensely influential period in world history of the earlier part of the twentieth century, which racist and party and the country they manipulated were subsequently defeated, deposed and otherwise generally disabled in the interest of humanity at large and subsequently the country of the racist leader rose out of the ashes to earn, prove and share its place with other charitable nations of the earth, its people, its beer, its culture having outgrown the smear of association with the racist now defeated, deposed and disabled but not so much that his memory and therefore his power continues to be revived by association with an ancient symbol nothwithstanding the contexts of that symbol's appearance have nothing to do with the racist and his party, and, ironically, those that keep the racist alive in this way, are generally a minority from within two of the three iconoclastic religious traditions sourced in the 'middle east" and by this very act are indulging in a kind of idolatry inasmuchas they are elevating a symbol with an intense emotional reality over and above current actuality ......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I apologise to the few fans I have here
for recording a post as a badly punctuated
stream of conciousness
rather than taking the usual trouble
to quip it down to sizable snippets
which no one understands ......
dwest

Post by dwest »

talasiga wrote:I apologise to the few fans I have here
for recording a post as a badly punctuated
stream of conciousness
rather than taking the usual trouble
to quip it down to sizable snippets
which no one understands ......
I foloowed it just fine but I can't even spelt property let alone pontificate pararafts good.