Fuel Tank Orientation Question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fuel Tank Orientation Question

Post by mutepointe »

I just bought gas again today and of course none of the covenient open pumps were oriented correctly for my fuel tank (not that there's anything wrong with that.) Is there any benefit gained from not standardizing fuel tank orientation?

I've owned cars that had all three orientations (the gas cap was under the license plate on the third orientation). I had a car with a broken fuel tank latch that required either 1 person at least 6 foot tall with an average arm span to pull the latch under the driver's seat with one hand while tapping the fuel tank hatch open with the other hand or 2 people working in unison. Good thing the fuel tank was on the driver's side on that car. My current car has a fuel tank cap on the passenger side of the car, that let's me take a look at the tires on that side of the car every now & then. Don't even ask about the fuel tank under the license plate, that thing always snapped shut and skinned my fingers.

I want full service gas stations back.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Re: Fuel Tank Orientation Question

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Damn fine idea, Mute.

In my neck of the woods (South-East England) one of the things I have become resigned about is the inability of drivers in general to understand that the petrol-pump (gas-pump) *will* stretch over their car to reach the filler-cap.

People will happily queue onto the road and block traffic, rather than use a pump on the wrong side.

It's a long time since I filled the car with fuel on the right side.

(Full service petrol stations would not work in this country. Not unless you wanted anti-freeze in your petrol tank and a radiator full of petrol.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

The argument I've heard for the filler on the driver's side is that pulling up with the pump on the driver's side follows normal road-going behavior. The arguments I've heard for the filler on the passenger's side are that you are less likely to ding your door by opening it and hitting the pump or some related obstruction. Also, if you have to fill from a gas can while at the side of the highway it's safer to be standing with the car between you and the traffic.

The obvious solution is for everyone to get one of these, since they have a filler cap on both sides. :D

Last edited by MikeS on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote: It's a long time since I filled the car with fuel on the right side.
Our's are always on the wrong side. But what does this have to do with fuel tank orientation? Filler neck hoses can go most anywhere even the opposite side of the car from the fuel tank. That's what gets me. I have one car with the filler hose on the passenger side, one truck with both filler hoses on the driver's side, and another car with the filler hose on the driver's side. Unfortunately I can never remember which is which when I pull up to the pump. For the cars it's not such a big deal, but for the truck it means I have to turn the sucker around if there's room.
daveboling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

MikeS wrote:The argument I've heard for the filler on the driver's side is that pulling up with the pump on the driver's side follows normal road-going behavior. The arguments I've heard for the filler on the passengers side are that you are less likely to ding your door by opening it and hitting the pump or related obstruction. Also, if you have to fill from a gas can while at the side of the highway it's safer to be standing with the car between you and the traffic.

The obvious solution is for everyone to get one of these, since they have a filler cap on both sides. :D

Several Lotus models also came equipped with filler caps on both sides:
and
I'm not sure about the Elise or Evora. I'll let you know when I get my hands on one... :shock:

I could have just replied to the topic, but I couldn't resist doubling the number of images of the Ford in the same topic. :D
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

mutepointe wrote:I want full service gas stations back.
New Jersey and Oregon still have full-service gas stations. Self-serve is illegal in both states.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Denny

Post by Denny »

:shock: Oregon is much too wet Mute! Really!! You'd like New Jersey!!! I know you would! :shock:
:shock: They have swimming pools!!!! :shock:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You'd think the fuel hose could reach either side of a car but speaking from experience it's mighty embarassing when a person parks too far from the gas pump and the fuel tank is on the other side and the hose doesn't reach and you have to move the car a piece.

Many of the newer cars have a little arrow or fuel pump icon on the fuel gauge that points to which side the fuel tank is on. I rent a lot of cars.

Is Oregon close enough to North of Seattle so that I could live in Seattle but get my car filled up full service in Oregon? North of Seattle has an ocean.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

We're just a bit south of Mexico!

I loves them geographically challenged people!!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Denny wrote:We're just a bit south of Mexico!

I loves them geographically challenged people!!
Then you'll love showing me around and finding a place to live and stuff. Hey buddy.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I say ... Get a horse. Then you always know which side to stick the fuel in. And if you get it wrong, you find out very quickly.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I share Mute's frustration, except in that I do not wish for full-service stations. I don't know why. I'd rather do it myself. And I definitely do not want some guy to come out while I'm pumping my own gas and try to sell me a sheet of service coupons which will save me money in the long run.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Here's something else I'm frustrated about. I don't own this:
mutepointe's pending crib
I would invite all kinds of people over to this place, not like my island yacht.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

MTGuru wrote:I say ... Get a horse. Then you always know which side to stick the fuel in. And if you get it wrong, you find out very quickly.
You don't need to put it in the horse....chuckin' it nearby'll do