Tim Hart R.I.P.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Tim Hart R.I.P.

Post by dubhlinn »

I have just found out that Tim Hart, the great English singer/musician and founder member of Steeleye Span, died on Xmas Eve.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/de ... t-obituary

Very sad news, may he rest in peace.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tim Hart R.I.P.

Post by crookedtune »

Sorry to hear that. Here's Tim (dulcimer) and an early Steeleye Span lineup. Great stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHYl7Kv50g
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Just five minutes ago I was listening to Tim singing English folk songs with Maddy Prior, and I had not heard that he had died. He will be sadly missed.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Ah, too bad. Tim was one of the first British folkies to penetrate my consciousness, back when Steeleye Span was a gateway band. Saw him/them live in 1974, an unforgettable experience to this day.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

He/they were the first British folk/trad group that I ever heard. I heard Gaudete on the radio and drove to Bristol, one hour one way, to the closest music store and had them order Below the Salt. That was the early 70s. . They led the way for me to all the rest...
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

What a bummer! He'd been sick for a really long time, he had to all but retire in his 30's, so it's not unexpected, but it still sucks. I hope he didn't suffer too much at the end.

As others have said, Steeleye Span was one of my first introductions to traditional music, and they've been one of the constants in my listening for well over 30 years. While I do love almost all of the incarnations of Steeleye, I still think the best albums to come out of that team were the first two Tim and Maddy albums. Two absolutely fantastic singers, recorded with nothing to cover up any imperfections.

I followed some of the links from the Lark in the Morning video Crookedtune posted -- Martin Carthy is going strong, and we've got Eliza to introduce the music to yet another generation.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.