Poll: Best Multi-Player Board Game of All Time

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

This is the best Multi-player board game of all time:

Monopoly
20%
Risk
12%
Aggravation
4%
Clue
4%
Sorry
No votes
Parchessi (The Royal Game of India)
No votes
Masterpiece
4%
Careers
No votes
Mystery Date
No votes
Jumanji
No votes
Trivia Pursuit
20%
Life
No votes
Candy Land
No votes
Shoots & Ladders
No votes
Some game the Pollmaster forgot
36%
Some game the Pollmaster didn't mention because it's a lame game or ran out of options
No votes

Total votes: 25

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Poll: Best Multi-Player Board Game of All Time

Post by mutepointe »

Which did you like to play? Do you have a favorite memory? Were you a cheater? Is there a game from your country that didn't make it to the USA?

You may revote. You may only vote for 1 option.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline
antispam: No

Re: Poll: Best Multi-Player Board Game of All Time

Post by emmline »

Ok, Pollman...I had to go waaaaaay back. But, the one I remember generating the most fun and laughs in my youth was Masterpiece. I'm not sure why. Something to do with the fact that my sibs and I gave all the objets-d'art our own special names. Like, there was a weird Picasso we called "Egyptian-Greek." Not particularly clever names, I'm sure, but they amused us. Oh, and the fact that my future brother-in-law (who was then the 11 year old punk across the street,) once bid $1.1 million on a painting (where the maximum value could only be $1 mill,) and crowed about what a great buy he'd made.

Clue would be a close second.
Sorry comes in third ONLY because I found it such a frustrating game to play that when my dad suggested it, my sister always said "ok," and I'd protest how hateful it was, then go ahead and play anyway. Then my short-fused sister would hit her frustration threshold, and scream. And I'd win.

And no...I was not a cheater. But my sister always skewed the Ouija Board results, so that it would come out weird and freaky, and my cousin and I would get wigged.

I will append, that the best games were not board games at all, but the times when my brother, sister, cousin, and I took the tape recorder and recorded spoof episodes of The Brady Bunch and The Waltons. I'm sure they were classic. Luckily, we will never know, as the media rarely lasts 35 years.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Pachisi

I have never been able to find a traditional set with cowry shells.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We found Masterpiece was an easy peaceful game to play and a person didn't need to know how to play to fully participate. We added a variation to the game. Each time something happened with a painting a value card was added. What was offerred for sale to the bank as a $1 Million painting, could quickly become a forgery or a $2 Million painting, just like in real life. Our family always overbid on "American Gothic" just on principle.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Try this one if you have some uninhibited friends who are not afraid of embarassing themselves. It's wacky fun.

http://www.wiggitybang.com/quelf/index.html
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Monopoly #1, Risk #2, the others I didn't play much.

I played Monopoly so much that at some point I had memorized every rent, and every price for every property. That's for every line on the card, to buy the property, the standard rent, the rent for one house, two houses, etc. Scary. What if I had devoted all those brain cells to some worthwhile task or skill? Hmmm.

Risk. What is more fun than conquering the world? Unfortunately, later in life, I discovered a strategy that rendered standard Risk to be kind of boring. If anyone plays computer Risk, it works really well against the computer AI. Of course against repeat opponents, they learn what the strategy is, and can counter it by allying against me.

The problem with both games, it that they can drag out to six hours or more if the players are dawdlers and/or equally matched. In today's world no one has that kind of time for board games against humans. Online is one thing, but in person on a table top, literally no one has that kind of time anymore.

They have some contrived rules for Monopoly that make it shorter. I too have a quick game option, but not everyone likes it. I like my short-game rules a lot, though, and it condenses the game to about an hour, with veteran players.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

It's "Chutes and Ladders", not "Shoots" - you go down a chute or up a ladder.

I haven't voted yet, can't decide. We played "Life" a lot and I really liked it. But Clue was fun, Careers was fun, Risk I had limited fun with. My family spent a lot of time with Trivial Pursuit, but we had to ban my dad from playing, as he always knew all the answers (except for the sports questions).

I didn't have it, but I liked playing "Trouble" at friends' houses, but I think only because I liked the cool bubble-dice-roller thingy.

"Bonkers" was another game I had a lot of fun with.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

rebl_rn wrote:It's "Chutes and Ladders", not "Shoots" - you go down a chute or up a ladder.
What he said.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
missy

Post by missy »

I didn't vote, but.....

I had forgotten all about Masterpiece! We loved playing that, but like others, added our own "rules".

One of the ones we've had fun with is a four person chess set. Everyone has the traditional move patterns, but when you have people coming not just toward you, but also from either side, it can get really interesting.

Our family was also big in card games. Even when my grandmother's senility was so bad that she didn't talk or recognize anyone, she still would love to play 3 card rummy.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

s1m0n wrote:
rebl_rn wrote:It's "Chutes and Ladders", not "Shoots" - you go down a chute or up a ladder.
What he said.
Never heard of it. Is it any resemblance to "Snakes and Ladders"? (You go down a Snake and up a ladder.)

I like to play Backgammon and Mancala, but neither of those is multiplayer.
The best, the Best... no, THE BEST multiplayer game is the one the pollster forgot (or didn't know about).

DIPLOMACY. Wiki on Diplomacy

There is a computer version of the game, but it is much better to play it in meat-space with real people.
There are people who say you can finish a game in two hours. Ignore them. Six hours, and make sure you have food and drink available, plus boxes of tissues if anyone goes off on a crying jag, and a working telephone just in case you have to phone the police (tempers do sometimes get raised).

The favourite in our house is a game called Therapy, but the unwritten rules are that you do NOT play it with just family. As we know from bitter - very bitter - experience.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I would guess that whether families tended to favor one sort of game over another could tell you
something about their overall intellectual bent.

iow, do they prefer straight strategy, or mathematical thinking? Are they right-brainers, preferring something (like Masterpiece) which
may be more conducive to inserting your own narratives into the game play?
Do they have incredible attention spans? (Monopoly?)
Or short, like the ADD side of my kin? (NO Monopoly!)

Other games I recall enjoying were card based, such as Milles Bornes (which I also played with my French exchange-family, in France, in French,) and...for when we could stand the freneticism...Pit. Especially cool when you could say: "Corner on corn!"
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

And whether families did things together too. My 3 older brothers must have waited forever for me to be able to sit still and roll a die. Having a 4th person balanced games. I was playing games long before I completely understood what was going on. I began my career as a card counter in kindergarten with the first card game of "Steal the pile" and I was playing "Pinocle" equally with adults before I could hold the 12 cards in my hand. If I could earn a living with guaranteed health benefits playing "Spades" I would quit my day job or at least get a part-time job. We used to play games to see who cleaned up breakfast, made lunch, cleaned the livingroom. We still play games for money, even "Shoots & Ladders". You folks need to see how that game is played in West Virginia, it's all different.

I left "Scrabble" off the list, bummer.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

carroms, scrabble, scrapple, oops! that's something different. nevermind.
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Articulate is brilliant.

http://www.drumondpark.com/rules/articulate.php

People of all ages (well perhaps not little children) can play as you can break the words down into syllables.

Nice and fast moving, none of this "pay me a fortune as you have landed on my hotelled street", just like real life rubbish!!
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Settlers of Catan