diabetic birthdays

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

diabetic birthdays

Post by Jack »

I have a close friend who is having an important birthday come next month.

I want to make or buy her a cake. But she is diabetic. I forget which type of diabetes, but it's the kind where you can't even eat a piece of cake in moderation or it can kill you. She can't eat it, period. Even fruit and the "good sugars" are bad for her.

So I thought about making a meat cake. But there doesn't really seem to be anything like this. As a vegetarian, I don't know where to begin.

For any of you who have diabetes or who have made non-sweet birthday cakes, can you offer advice?
djm

Re: diabetic birthdays

Post by djm »

Use a sugar replacement like stevia.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

She probably monitors her diet closely and she's probably budgeting a birthday celebration of some sort. Ask her what she plans on doing for her birthday regarding food. Don't surprise a person with diabetes with food. I have a few folks with diabetes in my life. I think we need to work towards celebrating holidays in the presence of diabetes and other people with food issues with alternatives to food. That being said, my in-laws regularly celebrate Easter with us so that they can have one holiday that is free of people without diabetes and food issues and we have a real guilt-free food fest.

There is more to diabetes than just sugars. It's a whole diet thing and lifestyle that has to be taken into consideration.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have. She's going to be home. She doesn't work or anything, so she isn't doing much. She doesn't have any kind of celebration planned. That's why I am going to take her a cake, of some sort.
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

I just googled "diabetic birthday cake" and a whole bunch of stuff came up.

How to make a diabetic birthday cake looks like a pretty good recipe.

And there are a bunch of cake recipes here at diabetic-recipes.com

There was a lot more too. There is TONS of stuff about diabetes on the web, you are sure to find something that fits.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

rebl_rn wrote:I just googled "diabetic birthday cake" and a whole bunch of stuff came up.

How to make a diabetic birthday cake looks like a pretty good recipe.

And there are a bunch of cake recipes here at diabetic-recipes.com

There was a lot more too. There is TONS of stuff about diabetes on the web, you are sure to find something that fits.
What rebl_rn should have posted

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=diabetic+birthday+cake
missy

Post by missy »

How are her carb exchanges? Many diabetics can handle angel food cake because there's little sugar and only the carbs from the flour - but again, it depends on her carb exchanges.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Why not maker her something other than a cake (ie, non food)? if I were diabetic and couldn't have cake, I don't think I'd want to receive anything that looked like a cake. Especially if I hadn't always been diabetic, and had enjoyed cake in the past.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Jack wrote:So I thought about making a meat cake. But there doesn't really seem to be anything like this. As a vegetarian, I don't know where to begin.
I think you mean a meatloaf. Not that that's any help. And all these vegetarian Nut Loaves are based on a meatloaf idea. Not that that's any help either. Avanutria has the right approach. Forget the food altogether. It's a vexed question. Bathsalts. Or Lego.

Oh! You could make a Lego Cake! ...naw...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A card wishing her a happy birthday is a good alternative, especially if it is a hand-made one of your own design... food for thought.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

It really is very easy to bake for diabetics anymore (several members of my family are diabetic). My mom regularly makes pies and such for dad using Splenda, which substitutes one-for-one with sugar, and you'd never know the difference. You can use any recipe. Yes, she'll still have to worry about her overall carbs, and she may have to wait a day or so to have a slice, if she's already met her limit that day or if her sugar is out of whack, but that's something that any diabetic is accustomed to doing...it's just part of life. She'd probably appreciate the gesture of your going to the effort to make her a sugar-free treat.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I think you mean a meatloaf.
Or terrines, maybe.

But here's an honest-to-goodness meat cake how-to from Black Widow Bakery (like you didn't see that coming). It's just bizarre.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician