Best inexpensive (or cheapest decent) video editing software

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Best inexpensive (or cheapest decent) video editing software

Post by FJohnSharp »

For PC.

Family member just got a new video camera and the software that comes with it is crap. Any suggestions?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Best inexpensive (or cheapest decent) video editing software

Post by djm »

I looked into this a while ago. The trouble you run into is that none of the "cheap" editting software gives you the control you want, so that you seldom get the clean quality edits you are looking for, and you often can't keep the audio in sync. The feature you want for real control of your editting is called frame-by-frame, and if the package you're looking at doesn't have it you are probably wasting your time.

The good stuff starts at about $600 and goes up from there. Examples are Sony Vegas and the Adobe stuff.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

http://www.videohelp.com/

Is the place with the answers.
Deej is largely correct, though.
If you want it to work well and
(here's the important part...)
be easy to use you're gonna
have to lay down some cash.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

You could try out TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress, there is a free trial download version; $100 for buying it. It contains a great fast decoder/encoder, and i think you can do frame by frame edits of cuts as well.

~Hans
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

What about Windows Movie Maker? It's easy to use and has quite a few features.
If that's not good enough then check Serif Software and their MoviePlus. I use Serif Software for all my artistic needs including MoviePlus, DrawPlus and PhotoPlus. What's more the software is very inexpensive.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm