Wild Turkeys

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Wild Turkeys

Post by Lambchop »

Just wanted to let everyone know I saw some this week. Pretty cool. It looked to be a flock of 5 or 6 females foraging along the edge of pine woods along I-75 between Sarasota and Port Charlotte. They were nibbling at some shrubby undergrowth.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Wild Turkeys

Post by djm »

It's terrible when people don't recycle their glass bottles properly.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I saw a female with about a dozen chicks following her in the woods at my brother's place in New Hampshire this past summer. I hear them all the time up there, but this was the first time I'd seen more than one or two at a time. Very cool.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Gobble gobble!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Wild turkeys are really cool birds.
In my old home we had woods out back. I was out there in the pre-dawn hour one time doing Tai Chi when I started to hear some really weird noises up in the pine trees. First in one place, then another and another. Suddenly, a part of the dark shadows detatched itself and flew off deeper into the woods: it was a wild turkey which had been roosting in the trees overnight! I had always assumed that they hung out on the ground at night. All in all about 8 of them flew away like that. Amazing experience.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Nifty birds. Very clever, too, from what I hear. Very far removed from domestic turkeys, which I understand are too dumb to do things like reproduce and breathe.

There are a few wild turkeys up around Sheridan. I used to see them now and then on the edges of town when I lived up there, but they mostly stay out of site.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
tansy

Post by tansy »

i saw a huge tom last week. They are abundant in the woods here(and in the capitol and court system).
Once i counted 27 , at the edge of a field.
they are a little less shy than they once were, due to humanoid over population and expansion.
i also see bald eagles almost daily around the water.
shy the blond water
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You are more than welcome to take a drive through southern West Virginia where wild turkeys are making a comeback. When I drive the rural backroads, I often stop for flocks of 20 to 30 wild turkeys stopped on the road. I don't have the heart to barrel through them to see if they'll get out of the way in time. They are pretty.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

We had a prankster in Philly who used to let loose a couple of wild turkeys about a week or so before Thanksgiving.
Depending on which neighborhood they wandered into, they were either caught and cooked, flattened by a semi, or became family pets.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Our local county park (Almaden Quicksilver County Park, in SW San Jose) is home to several flocks. Their range seems to vary by season and time of day - sometimes we see them almost every day, sometimes it's weeks between sightings (though the flock that hangs around the park's SE entrance rarely strays - I think the owners of the riding stable across the road feed them).

It's fun to watch them over the course of a year - hen flocks in the early spring, hens and chicks later on, then watching the chicks grow. The flock on our end of the park always seems to disappear a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, then reappear a week or so later. I've always suspected they've heard my wife's speculation about how they'd taste compared to their supermarket cousins. :lol:
dwest

Post by dwest »

Wife loves them. She uses a 20 ga. and about three different calls. I get stuck cleaning up.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

We have a lot around here. On the drive to my church - through the Kettle Moraine State Forest - I pass an open field where there's often a large flock (or whatever a group of turkeys is called). A few times I have passed a turkey "jogging" along the side of the road.

A couple of years ago, there was a gaggle of Canada geese hanging out in the field near where I work. And when you looked, there in the midst of all the geese was a turkey - just hanging out with the geese I guess. They were around for a week or two, the turkey was with them the whole time. It was a little strange, but everyone seemed happy!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

They are everywhere around here.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
dwest

Post by dwest »

They were imported into NA by Irish monks around 460.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

man, you country people... :P
If I see anymore than 2 turkeys at one time they better be frozen, or I'm callin animal control. :D