Opinion, please . . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Opinion, please . . .

Post by Lambchop »

OK, I need some serious opinions here. Seriously.

Check out these sample sentences. Assume they come from a 28-year-old male who is sending the email to a group of female professionals, almost all of whom are old enough to be his mother. He's a professional, too, and a supervisor, but he's not the supervisor of the individuals to whom the email was sent.
Version 1: "Would you gals enter your data so I can . . ."

Version 2: "Would you girls enter your data so I can . . . "
Let's change the scenario a bit. Let's say the group are all male professionals.
Version 1: "Would you boys enter your data so I can . . ."

What if the professionals are all black males?
Version 1: "Would you boys enter your data so I can . . . "

Help me out here, please. Help me express what I'm feeling. I'm feeling something, but I just can't get a grip on it. :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Any of these are unprofessional.

This would be much better: "If you could please enter your data so that I can..."

or

"We please need the rest of the data from Department X entered so that we can proceed..."

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm glad to help. You're feeling patronized by this folksy, at best borderline sexist, and unprofessional language. You resent it. And yet, you realize that the language doesn't necessarily mean that he actually means to hurt, so you're reluctant to confront it. And that's probably frustrating.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yeah...I'm wanting to sub the word "ladies," but even that gives the request a slightly condescending edge.

Something like what James says, or "Would each of you enter your data..."
or just "Please enter your data..."
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The gender reference should have been left out. No reason whatsoever to put it in.

Susan
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Yeah, dude, you're asking for trouble.

Eliminate gender references whenever possible. You may use the terms ladies and gentlemen or women and men in the appropriate context. Never use gal, girl, boy, or the dreaded dude. Except here. In forums. Among friends.
Paul

Post by Paul »

When addressing the girls it would be best to be courteous to what they are most likely doing. I would word it like:

"Hey, sweetie, when y'all are done filing your nails and gossiping will you please take a moment to enter your data so I can... and when your done with that one of you can bring me a paper and a cup of coffee!"

For the lads just tell them to do it straight way.

"You $@%#^$&s need to get your %^&^%$ data in so I can finish my %^&^%#$ job, you ^&*&^^%!s"

This approach will work for any group of guys.

:D :p

*Ducks and runs for cover*
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

O let's get completely corporate:

"Individually, please enter your data."

"All franchisees will please enter their individual data"

'Participants are to submit all pertinent data"

'We respectfully ask that all submit ther data'

'the data requestor requests that pertinent data be individually submitted, by all participating individuals'

OR, if you have a Philadelphia branch;
'get your damn data in in a new york minute or I'll put it your file: capisce?!?' :P
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Regarding the initial entries; absolutely unprofessional at best.

If I were to send out a missive of that variety I should word it differently depending on the perspective recipients.

For squadron wide dissemination:
"Please fill in requisite data in the respective fields."

For just my shop:
"Error. Insufficient data in fields ###. Please input requisite figures."
(Or I might phrase it as an if-then command. I'm thinking maybe in C.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm

Post by djm »

In a professional working situation it's best to avoid any hint of friendliness altogether, unless you all know each other very well and are able to tolerate each other's foibles. "You gals" matches "you guys" as far as familiarity goes, but if you really feel that age discrimination is an appropriate response to gender discrimination, you could always reply to him as "sonny" or as "young man". :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

They are all just plain WRONG.

:evil:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jerry Freeman

Re: Opinion, please . . .

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Lambchop wrote:He's a professional, too, and a supervisor, but he's not the supervisor of the individuals to whom the email was sent.
This raises the question of what would happen if one of you forwarded his email to his supervisor. Or forwarded it to your own supervisor. Your supervisor might not like to see his/her staff treated dismissively.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Lambchop

Re: Opinion, please . . .

Post by Lambchop »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Lambchop wrote:He's a professional, too, and a supervisor, but he's not the supervisor of the individuals to whom the email was sent.
This raises the question of what would happen if one of you forwarded his email to his supervisor. Or forwarded it to your own supervisor. Your supervisor might not like to see his/her staff treated dismissively.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Well, that's why I'm asking. We share a supervisor, a male, who didn't think there was anything wrong with it.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Maybe it's weird, but I find myself completely unable to get worked up about stuff like this. Maybe it's because I've never worked in an office-type situation, I don't know.

My last job was in an industry that is highly male-dominated (tobacco), and now I'm working at a coffee shop where I am the only male on staff. The only issues I've encountered with sexism were with customers at the cigar shop who would literally ignore the female employee and ask me my opinion on product.

I mean, really: unless the comment is part of a larger problem with actions that are actually chauvinistic, why get your knickers in a twist? Just understand that the person on the other side of that e-mail is most likely some half-ignorant good-old-boy who isn't worth your time and move on.

Similarly, a few times at the cigar shop a group of customers would come in and start into a series of jokes with gays as the punchline. This is very common. Often, my (straight) coworker would get all worked up and tell them off. Several times, a coworker offered to kick the persons in question out of the store, and they were always baffled that I told them not to. It's just not something I see fit to be indignant about.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've seen much worse things in interdepartmental memos and emails.

However, especially in today's corporate world, it's always better to remember that you don't know who will read what you've written, or in what context.

If they are going to have to lay off one person from your department, for instance, you really don't want to be the person who is known for irritating people.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard